Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2015, 18:11   #541

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
I don't know about five knots, but the current can be quite strong there.

I think that was my fault, I re-quoted 5 knot current from something I read early on. And I don't have a clue about the area
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 18:16   #542

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I didn't find your posts 'redundant', in fact I initially thought you made a lot of sense, though a little impractical when it came to the cost. But, you have gone on and on about it as if you must hammer it in.. just give it a rest.
Wrong. I can "almost" guarantee that I'd have been aloft the following morning, and sailing the following afternoon, with no immediate cash expenditure. Please re-read my response to GordMay. No need to post further if you cannot understand my logic. Have no idea of your port of call, but in Maine it's known as 'common sense'. Have a nice day.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 18:39   #543

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Wrong. I can "almost" guarantee that I'd have been aloft the following morning, and sailing the following afternoon, with no immediate cash expenditure. Please re-read my response to GordMay. No need to post further if you cannot understand my logic. Have no idea of your port of call, but in Maine it's known as 'common sense'. Have a nice day.

Have you ever lost a boat? Any boat and recovered it? I lost a dink to a gale while anchored in Lemon Bay. Covered 10 miles of channel 5 hrs later without spotting it. On the ICW!

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 30-12-2015, 18:42   #544
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"If our security forces keep track of floating objects anywhere on the US east coast, this should be one of the places."
Look about 30 miles south of Miami, just south of Homestead AFB. You may not see the name on the map, but look for all the nice rectangular isles arrayed on the shore. Those are the cooling canals for the Indian Point NUCLEAR PLANT. Now, you might think a nuclear plant has a certain amount of mandatory security as well. And yet, this weekend they rounded up a bunch of Cuban boaters who made it to the security fence, on land, before being discovered. And you can just "land" there, it is ringed by keys and outlying bits of land that you have to navigate through.

US coastal security? Please. Hasn't changed much since Key West was populated by wreckers.

For most of the past 6 weeks, maybe 8, the weather off the SE Florida coast has been 2-4' seas and winds from the east and daily rain showers. Watchstanders are not very enthusiastic about staying out in that, and a 26' sailboat will blend into the sea state (the wave reflections) pretty perfectly on most radar.

Boats that size and bigger have been abandoned off the Hatteras coast, north of there, and found drifting ashore in England and Ireland 2+ years later, in excellent shape but having eluded all sightings or contact for two years. A Japanese fishing boat made it to the US this year, the same way, what is it? A year after their tsunami?

There's no magic to be had. There's no technology or manpower that is economically feasible. If Gil's boat is to be found, it will be by extreme luck, aided by a very thorough process of putting BOLOs out to mariners and small craft aviators. Every airport, every marina, every flight school. Relentlessly.

Rashly assuming that a single-engine prop plane, an old Cessna or whatever, was available in that port or down the road from it? I'd expect the pilot or charter company to ask for $100 an hour, up front, four to eight hours minimum, before they'd even consider taking off. They're not in the business of flying for free, and even single engine piston aircraft can COST that much to get in the air. So, without a spare thousand dollars in cash, in hand? Chartering a plane the next morning wasn't going to happen.

If his boat is French flagged, and if their documentation laws are similar to the US's, then they may very well offer to give or lend him funds to fly home--to France. Which right now might actually be a BAD thing, in case the boat is found and he first has to figure out how to pay for the flight back to retrieve it.

"Make haste slowly." Or as most naval commands would say "With all due speed". NOT necessarily as fast as you can.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:09   #545

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
I take it you've never been to Grand Bahama. It's not like there's a flying club down the road. There's no seaplane base. And at that time, it had not yet been spotted by the USCG, so no idea yet that it hadn't been stolen. So which way to fly? So instead of going out to the airport on the infinitesimally small chance some good Samaritan with a private plane would just happen to be there, Gil went out on the BASRA rep's boat to search. That's what the rest of the world calls 'common sense.'
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:09   #546

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Gamayun. Imho you are wrong. It isnt about how smart police are...its about ..there aint enough to go around...inc prosecutors, judges, jails, societies willingness to supply budgets up to the task of taking care of everything from boat thieves to international bankers (lehmans et al)
If the Bahamanian government paid great money to attract great cops the Gils boat would have been found long ago.
Ditto OZ gov, Scottish gov, US gov, all govs.
You only get what you pay for & cops, schoolies, firies, ambos.....all are paid pathetically..
That is my pretty off topic opinion...sorry.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:37   #547

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Gamayun,
For the sake of argument in re: the above diversion, would you ask a Bedouin who has lived his life crossing the Sahara desert by camel how to cross the Atlantic from Bristol, England to New York . . . or would you ask a sea captain who has sailed the passage successfully for 14 years? Ergo . . .if you wanted to know about crime and the nature of criminals, would you ask the man on the street(or in your case a woman) or someone who worked as a police officer for fourteen years? This is not a multiple choice question.
Hmmmm, it ain't so; there's gotta be choice number "c"?! You slay me, Viking man.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:50   #548

Boat: Pearson Wanderer 30

Good God, how has a thread about a fellow cruiser who has lost his post devolved so completely into multiple irrelevant pissing matches? Unless you have something to say to help the poor guy please, please save your arguments for another place and time. I don't care who's right, wrong, who started it or anything else, take it somewhere else and stop cluttering up this thread.
Old 30-12-2015, 20:54   #549
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Is it only me?.....but when someone has a serious problem as Gil had now and reaches out to CF for help in finding his yacht....I view this Thread like communicating on Channel 16.

Over 500 posts, but how many have actually offered serious help in finding and rescuing Daphne, rather than clogging up the objective with self centered opinions and levity?

Why not start other threads to play in...so we can focus on real progress and allow new readers to appreciate the updates easier and possibly bring new intelligence or help to a serious situation for Gil.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 21:12   #550

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Is it only me?.....but when someone has a serious problem as Gil had now and reaches out to CF for help in finding his yacht....I view this Thread like communicating on Channel 16.

Over 500 posts, but how many have actually offered serious help in finding and rescuing Daphne, rather than clogging up the objective with self centered opinions and levity?

Why not start other threads to play in...so we can focus on real progress and allow new readers to appreciate the updates easier and possibly bring new intelligence or help to a serious situation for Gil.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 21:18   #551

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post

I'm guessing spell check changed the boat name on ya.

http://svdagny.com

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 30-12-2015, 21:46   #552

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

AS a pro-active move can we get a list of CF members willing to donate towards a rescue plan if svdagny is spotted and recoverable? I know that typical towing services are around $400 an hour,(how ethical would it be to sign him up for a sea-tow ect... membership.) I'm sure someone/persons could volunteer to sail her to a safe harbor so it might just be a trip out but, i'm sure Gil is without resources at the moment. I'm willing to outlay some $$$ if we have a workable plan ready to go.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 21:55   #553

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Im in, i indicated to French Embassy a couple of days ago my keeness to help.
Today in Oz it is thursday 31st 5pm.
On 07/01/2016...a week, Im good for a hundred AUD.....about 72 USD.
Make it happen for me someone.
Putting my money where my terrible mouth is.
Laura.
Old 30-12-2015, 22:02   #554

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by svGenesis View Post
AS a pro-active move can we get a list of CF members willing to donate towards a rescue plan if svdagny is spotted and recoverable? I know that typical towing services are around $400 an hour,(how ethical would it be to sign him up for a sea-tow ect... membership.) I'm sure someone/persons could volunteer to sail her to a safe harbor so it might just be a trip out but, i'm sure Gil is without resources at the moment. I'm willing to outlay some $$$ if we have a workable plan ready to go.
Remember, you only have to get Gil (or a volunteer) to the boat. You don't need to tow the boat back.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 22:41   #555

SV Dagney.com is a pretty good read FWIW