Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 20:18   #421

Boat: President 43 Sportfish
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I recall his first post stated the yacht went missing while he was checking in, presumably with passport and ships documents...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
I checked in this afternoon at West-End... Out of the customs office I checked on the boat, I could see the mast over the jetty. I had a late lunch, checked again, no problem. At six or six thirty after using my computer to get on the Internet it was time to head out to the boat on my dinghy. Dagny wasn't there! ...
No, this is the timeline from 1st post.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:19   #422

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Thanks for the heads up on my drift chart, I did it in a hurry as its kinda crazy here, but I should of double checked as I don't want to muddy the water with a bad chart grr.

Please ignor the trolls, they will move on to better feeding grounds sooner or later.
Old 29-12-2015, 20:28   #423

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Please ignor the trolls, they will move on to better feeding grounds sooner or later.
I hope that you're not referring to me, Ocean Lass. If so, I'm sorry that logic and common sense rub you the wrong way. Let's not forget, I was the first forum member to suggest that he get up in the air, and pronto (i.e., first 24 hours). Am I going to "pay" for that? Nope. That's on his back, but that is what I'd have done ... by hook or by crook. Anyway, I know that your post is not directed at me, so please have a nice day.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:30   #424

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Gil, this was posted 3 hours ago via SSCA FB. You and Kieth ran out there yesterday right? Found nothing? This seems like an old false alarm, but this is a new call out to cruisers and pilots to check this sighting(3 hours ago)....?

Lookout at Memory Rock, Bahamas
Tonight at 1830 hrs I received a call from Keith G Cooper, BASRA volunteer in West End, Bahamas, who took Gil, the owner of the S/V DAGNY out searching for his boat. He advised that shortly before he called, some Bahamian fishermen told him that they spotted what appeared to be an abandoned sailboat anchored near Memory Rock.
I spoke with Chris Parker and he advised it is conceivable that the S/V DAGNY ended up there. That would explain why the DAGNY has not been spotted adrift off Florida in an area of lots of vessel traffic.
We are asking Hans at Great Harbor Marina to see if he could coordinate a plane to fly over Memory Rock and see if the S/V DAGNY is there. Hans is great for getting things done.
In the meantime, if anyone has any ideas how to get a boat or plane to check out Memory Rock for the S/V DAGNY that would be great.
This is all about Cruisers Helping Cruisers. It makes no difference the value of the vessel. It is a cruiser’s home.
You can reply to this Yahoo Group, or send an e-mail to the SSCA Radio Station “KPK” who is coordinating the search. Send e-mails to KPK@ssca.org
Thanks,
Glenn Tuttle - Moderator
Cruisers Network Online
SSCA Radio Station “KPK”
8.104 at 1145 hrs UTC daily
941-456-5070
Old 29-12-2015, 20:33   #425

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Estimated position on Tue the 29th at 5:00PM 30-36N/80-59W
Thats 23NMi fron the breakwater at Cumberland Sound. (St Marys Entrance) The boat was in the middle of the shipping lane.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:50   #426

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

My biggest concern here is an innocent sailor hitting Dagny in the night. This situation could turn much worse. We all must be responsible for our own actions and Gils actions have placed the sailing community at risk. This should not be taken lightly.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 21:00   #427

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
My biggest concern here is an innocent sailor hitting Dagny in the night. This situation could turn much worse. We all must be responsible for our own actions and Gils actions have placed the sailing community at risk. This should not be taken lightly.

The odds of a sailor hitting this drifting small sailboat are so minuscule as to border on insignificance. You sir are ratiometrically challenged. There is about the same risk to other sailors as being hit by a meteor.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 21:04   #428

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

P MC have you taken total leave of your senses...."you were first to suggest he charter a plane".
Silly silly boy you are, at best, daft. Either that or you and mcdonald think we are all morons.
Gil barely had money for food!! OMG, delivsr us.
Change medicines boy.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 21:52   #429

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
P MC have you taken total leave of your senses...."you were first to suggest he charter a plane".
Silly silly boy you are, at best, daft. Either that or you and mcdonald think we are all morons.
Gil barely had money for food!! OMG, delivsr us.
Change medicines boy.
Listen, you can lunge at me (repeatedly), and that's OK. My skin is not thin. Yes, I WAS the first member to suggest searching by air. You are correct! Now, would he have needed the funds up front to accomplish that? Maybe, and maybe not. It would depend on his 'people skills' and his powers of persuasion. If his literary prose is any indication, he may very well have succeeded with statements such as "I'll get you the money in a week or two." "Ring Ring... Hello Mom, Dad, best friend..."

Now, and me being over 50 and around the block a few times, I wonder if he has insurance on his boat. Did he address that issue? Food for thought.

I hope everything works out for him. I won't reply to you again. Ciao.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 22:24   #430

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Thanks Lord.
Old 30-12-2015, 02:17   #431

Boat: Ohlson 29

When people post for the sake of ruffling feathers (flaming), not replying is usually the best way to deal with it. Just a suggestion, since giving people exactly what they want will rarely make stem stop doing what they're doing ... just makes you look bad too.

As to the insurance question: I obviously can't speak for Gil, but since he was sailing solo on a small boat, I'm going to assume he didn't have insurance. I'm basing that on my own experience, as well as some other solo sailors (with small and bigger boats) I know who simply can't get insurance because they are sailing solo. I found one company willing to insure me & the boat, but the costs are so high it makes a lot more sense to go uninsured and accept the loss if the boat goes down (or decides to ditch the skipper).

Even taking on crew for the crossing / longer legs doesn't solve the problem because they need to be approved first, and I'd only be covered when sailing with said pre-approved crewmember -- and be w/out coverage again the second they leave the boat. Not very doable, and very expensive to only cover the boat when the risks are lowest ....
Old 30-12-2015, 02:31   #432
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
When people post for the sake of ruffling feathers (flaming), not replying is usually the best way to deal with it. Just a suggestion, since giving people exactly what they want will rarely make stem stop doing what they're doing ... just makes you look bad too.
Exactly right Lizzie Belle.....but I have also privately reported them to the Moderators.....

These guys are really an embarrassment to CF
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 02:42   #433

Lizzie, Pelag' thanks, taken on board
Old 30-12-2015, 03:22   #434

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post

As to the insurance question: I obviously can't speak for Gil, but since he was sailing solo on a small boat, I'm going to assume he didn't have insurance. I'm basing that on my own experience, as well as some other solo sailors (with small and bigger boats) I know who simply can't get insurance because they are sailing solo. I found one company willing to insure me & the boat, but the costs are so high it makes a lot more sense to go uninsured and accept the loss if the boat goes down (or decides to ditch

The US market must be much easier than Europe. When I went to the Bahamas on a 28' last year, I just called the company, told them I wanted an insured value of $8k, paid about $749 (full load: comprehensive, collision, liability, towing, 125 mile offshore, etc.), and took off.

Ocean crossing is a different ball game, but a jaunt to the Bahamas is easily covered. I asked Gil earlier if he had checked with his insurance co on the loss since he mentioned he had some kind of S&R insurance, and it's best to get your documentation in-line early.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 03:36   #435

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Finding his boat of it's not anchored somewhere will very difficult. We were asked to assist by a USCG helicopter in checking out a drifting. 20ft speed boat between the the DTs and KW. From 5 miles away with the current exact coordinates and knowing the direction of drift with two on the deck with binoculars we still could not find it. Good luck with a boat that has only guesstimates for position. This is sad, his boat will turn up, its just a matter of when and how.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote