Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 15:03   #376

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Without plot line

EDIT- Ocean Girl asked to have the image temporarily removed, as the position depicted wasn't accurate (happymdr)
Old 29-12-2015, 15:12   #377

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a classic example of an unprepared boat and an even less prepared skipper taking off on a journey that should never have happened. The results are as expected. Pity parties aren't going to change that. Wake up, and don't encourage that type of behavior.
You are apparently another cold hearted jerk. Your lack of compassion makes me sick. Remember, What goes around comes around. I will submit to you that Gil was at least as prepared as Slocum when he departed with a one hand clock, as one of his only means of navigation, on an old wooden boat.

Had Gil totally succeeded, as he will someday, you would be cheering for him. Critics are a dime a dozen.

You hang in there Gil. So wish there was more I could do.

A few years ago John Bachelor, a very experienced sailor, abord his Pearson 30 anchored at Memory Rock and disappeared leaving only his dog Dingo behind. Members on this forum and on SAILNET helped by sending donations to help Dingo survive. Terrible things happen to not only the inexperienced.

Open your Heart.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:23   #378

That looks like about 25 miles off the cost... One would think some one from FL could shoot out there... No?
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:29   #379

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

25 miles out with 15 to 20mph winds, to hook up to a boat. isn't a walk in the park.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:32   #380

I'd implore everyone to be civil, even if you disagree with someone's comments, actions, or tenor.

Probably everyone has a point, even if it's poorly expressed.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:50   #381

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Just occasionally "civil" courts, in some advanced countries, meter out terrible punishments.
You are not aware that civility is the staple diet of the odd person?
Even the sweetest of us are driven to distracton and your obvious lovliness is not goi g to be a hurdle for mcdonald.
I wander around India being kind, all day. But when i see impropriety taking place my civility ceases and need to restrain takes over and no matter the cost to me i STOP the wrong.
Personally i think that your civil approach is out of place with this gentleman. Not my humble opinion.
Bl.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 15:53   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
25 miles out with 15 to 20mph winds, to hook up to a boat. isn't a walk in the park.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
For a sailboat or a small powerboat yes... but those are not really nasty conditions for many power boats... or sport fishers I would think.
Old 29-12-2015, 16:00   #383

This is indeed a very frustrating situation for readers. There is so little we can do to help... props to those who are!
Old 29-12-2015, 16:00   #384

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Bare with me if you will. Will be brief.
In the forrests of Africa there live an endangered group of animals called BONOBOS, AKA Black Pygmy Chimpanzee.
When wandering 'round the jungle if a Bonobo comes across a sick or wounded animal, rather than instinctively devouring it, the Bonobo prefers to gather the sick animal up, carry it backto its home and then nurse it back to health before eating it.
There, fixed it for you
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:00   #385

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Her estimated drift puts her about 49 miles off shore, unless I'm mistaken. But that is just a 8 hour tow or sail at 5 knots:-). We just got to spot her.
Old 29-12-2015, 16:07   #386

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Ive told you before Stuart....youre sick Boyo.
Would you eat a .....nah, forget it, Stu's incorrigible.
Gil' , Stu would SELL the boat to you post recovery.
And stop playing with my head, Blue Clab has stopped, so can you Stuart.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:16   #387

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEOCAT66 View Post
You are apparently another cold hearted jerk. Your lack of compassion makes me sick. Remember, What goes around comes around. I will submit to you that Gil was at least as prepared as Slocum when he departed with a one hand clock, as one of his only means of navigation, on an old wooden boat.

Had Gil totally succeeded, as he will someday, you would be cheering for him. Critics are a dime a dozen.

You hang in there Gil. So wish there was more I could do.

A few years ago John Bachelor, a very experienced sailor, abord his Pearson 30 anchored at Memory Rock and disappeared leaving only his dog Dingo behind. Members on this forum and on SAILNET helped by sending donations to help Dingo survive. Terrible things happen to not only the inexperienced.

Open your Heart.
Slocum was lost at sea. I don't care to comment on your childish name calling.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:22   #388

Boat: Lyman-Morse 54

In my past life I worked extensively with satellite imagery. Yesterday and today I reached out to a few of the contacts I still have at SPOT Image (Airbus Defense and Space) and Digital Globe. Since the boat went missing, there has been no imagery of the type that would be most useful for this purpose (i.e., high-resolution, visible wavelengths) acquired for the area covering the recent drift estimates from Chris Parker. I looked for imagery from Palm Coast in the south to Saint Simons in the north (roughly 29.5N - 31N) and extending from the coast out to roughly -79W, a total of approximately 45,000 square kilometers. Unfortunately nothing available at all.

The problem is that high resolution imagery is expensive to acquire and process so they do not set their imaging systems to acquire over open water unless specifically tasked to do so by a paying client. Because of this, the likelihood of obtaining an image with sufficient resolution to pick out a small boat like Gils is really slim, and the cost to custom acquire this type of imagery is in the thousands of dollars.

I dropped the hint that this could be great PR for them if the boat was found and recovered with the help of their systems and that a freebie might be worthwhile to them in the long run. While very sympathetic, with the area being so large and close to the Florida coast, acquiring for this task would potentially interfere with programming for paying tasks that have priority.

At this point, I would not hold my breath on imagery being very helpful in this endeavor. Fingers crossed that more conventional means are successful...
Pyxis156 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:24   #389

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Her estimated drift puts her about 49 miles off shore, unless I'm mistaken. But that is just a 8 hour tow or sail at 5 knots:-). We just got to spot her.
Not by the new math. It's almost 10 hours at 5 knots. 49/5=9.8 hours.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 16:33   #390

Boat: Newport 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Not by the new math. It's almost 10 hours at 5 knots. 49/5=9.8 hours.
5 knots is approx 5.7 mph, which equates to about 8.6 hours to cover 49 miles. Existing math.