Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 11:01   #331
cruiser

Boat: cal 29
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is a classic example of an unprepared boat and an even less prepared skipper taking off on a journey that should never have happened. The results are as expected. Pity parties aren't going to change that. Wake up, and don't encourage that type of behavior.
OMFG
He went to the Bahamas , not Cape Horn, usually for that passage I get drunk , set the tiller pilot and take a nap. The dog is keeps watch.

Quit being so judgmental.

Let he who has never drug anchor cast the first stone
sharkbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:02   #332

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Bare with me if you will. Will be brief.
In the forrests of Africa there live an endangered group of animals called BONOBOS, AKA Black Pygmy Chimpanzee.
When wandering 'round the jungle if a Bonobo comes across a sick or wounded animal, rather than instinctively devouring it, the Bonobo prefers to gather the sick animal up, carry it backto its home and then nurse it back to health.
Some humans should be so nice. Not that old dogs are good at learning new tricks.
K.....you shame me as a human.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:10   #333

Boat: Seafarer36c

This is turning into another Rebel Heart. Before long Gil will be getting death threats.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:12   #334

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This is turning into another Rebel Heart. Before long Gil will be getting death threats.

Shhhhhh.....
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:12   #335
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Some people will always be pessimistic, others will always be optimistic. Still others will roll up their sleeves and help. It's just the way it is.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:17   #336
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post

I can't think of anything I might have done or not done given the circumstances that was blatantly wrong, and that is frustrating.

Gil.
Hi Gil....From what I can tell, you are a fine Sailor , who has had some tragic luck, while trying to satisfy the formalities of Clearing in.

Don't bother yourself with those unfeeling followers of "hindsight" who brutally criticise you.....
...Just consider where their heads must physically be to gain that perspective!..

Like the vast majority of your sailing brethren here, I am hoping that Dagny will be found and returned to you, with the impish look of a missing cat, that went exploring.

Keep your sense of humour and great perspective..... just as Jack London must have done....so many years ago.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:23   #337

I sure have learned a lot on this thread. Other posters have reported 'cement like' conditions where he was anchored. In my limited experience on the Great South Bay of Long Island, I never saw anything like 'cement' bottom conditions.

There are literally thousands of comments on this site about anchoring, nothing about cement though.

Experience is the sum total of mistakes made, and 'experts' are people that have made tons of mistakes in a narrow field.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:24   #338

I hope Dagny is found so we can find out what happened to that engine.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:25   #339

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Gil, the time to find your boat was the day it was lost or the next day. At this point in time the odds are not good and if it is found it will more than likely require a significant amount of money to get it back. Lounging at Old Bahama Bay Marina at others expense is not going to find your boat.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:25   #340

When is one and their boat fully prepared to take off and an adventure such as Gil has? We've all read and heard about check lists etc... and who could even sail off without sailing experience?

But what is adequate experience and isn't there some irony? How can we experience ANYTHING new if we need to have experienced it? I suppose we build up experience by exposure to various conditions and circumstances... we read about them and what people have done caught in them. Second hand knowledge is valuable. We read. We go to school, we take lessons from people more experienced and skilled than we are. But at some point we have to "go for it" as far as this cruising thing goes. And truth be told we can never be prepared with what the sea can dish up. We prepare but hope for the best and deal with it when it happens to the best of our ability.

Gil may have had no problems at all. We don't know if his anchor dragged or chaffed or maybe his boat was stolen... We don't know. When I went cruising I never had any sort of tracker and there were none. Just the idea of such a device is new to me and probably pretty new to sailing and so for decades people did exactly what Gil did and most "made it" and some had less "success" and have a different story to tell... if they lived to tell it.

There are many lessons here. One is that perhaps you can't mitigate all the risk and still venture off. Another may be that you can mitigate some of them with electronic technology.

I am wondering now if there is some sort of electronic device which will report to your cell phone... if your boat moves X feet from where you left it? If such a device exists and it works... you would know pretty quickly if the boat was adrift or stolen. You could probably get an insurance discount with such a system. If it exists... color me out of touch. It seems like something sailors should all consider.

I don't know if Gil used chain... but chain doesn't chafe and this is one risk that you can mitigate. But then again anchoring is a skill and it takes lots of experience to feel secure... and no matter how many times you've anchored with no problem... each time it IS a challenge... there will always be some doubt and some risk.

Gil will sail again and maybe on Dagny or maybe on another boat. He is a lot wiser for this experience as are many of the readers here.

Happy New Year... this too shall pass and the best is yet to come.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:33   #341

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I certainly understand your point of view Gord. I could have used much less tact, sensitivity, and kindness. I chose not to point out other less scrupulous scenarios to this entire incident but didn't. I would hate to see others empty their wallets only to find out later someone just needed a plane ticket home to France. If it is a scam you really got to hand it to him, you know, pulling it off during the holidays when everyone is in the giving mood. My money is staying in my wallet.
I have learned very few lessons in my life. Most of them poor and learned the hard way, but I have learned this...

My generosity should not be dictated by the benefactor's possible misuse.

I applaud the efforts of several here as well as elsewhere to help Gil. Giving of yourself has way more to do with you than a recipient.

When things get tough I want to stand with people who help others.
JimandBlieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:33   #342

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

When faced with retrieving an anchor without a windlass, try a halyard or sheet winch and a couple of Prussic loops. It is a might slow but easier than hand over hand.

Your getting old when you would rather tea and a soft bunk instead of tequila and a late night.
Old 29-12-2015, 11:35   #343

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
Kmcd....when will you learn to just shutup?
You are nothing but a cruel old genius. A nasty person to be sure. And i truly am sad for you and your perspective.
Charming!!!!!!!!!!
Old 29-12-2015, 11:38   #344

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

I was never this charming until our paths crossed, Laddie. And im the poorer for it.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 11:39   #345

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimandBlieu View Post
I have learned very few lessons in my life. Most of them poor and learned the hard way, but I have learned this...

My generosity should not be dictated by the benefactor's possible misuse.

I applaud the efforts of several here as well as elsewhere to help Gil. Giving of yourself has way more to do with you than a recipient.

When things get tough I want to stand with people who help others.
Glad your generosity makes you feel good about yourself. That's the reason even the most obvious scams work. (I'm not saying this is a scam, and I'm not saying it isn't either.)