Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2015, 12:22   #151

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Has anyone approached any private flying clubs on the east coast of FL. It is the weekend and someone might be going for a quick flight -

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Pr...q6L4a6UZTii4AM

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 12:29   #152

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To Gil:

I suspect you have many more potential supporters out here via CF than one might think. If you were to come up here again, possibly just by re-posting your own blog posts that were already written, and let us all know how much hiring the seaplane for the day or 1/2 day--whatever is needed--perhaps us guys could loan you enough for that. We'd want to know both the "goal" and how we were doing on it.

Ann
Old 25-12-2015, 12:31   #153

Unless I'm reading this wrong, the boat went adrift on the afternoon of the 22nd (Post #1). The SSCA announcement (and, more important, Chris Parker's drift analysis) (#83) appear to assume it went adrift on the afternoon of the 23rd, when, according to the USCG report (#38) it was already 20 miles away.

If this is correct, they should be looking for the boat 20 miles north of the drift calculation, although that may well be within the margin of error by this time. And maybe I'm just misreading it. Best wishes in any case.
bill352 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 13:39   #154

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Merry Christmas everyone, and many new friends here. If it wasn't for you guys I would be sleeping in the Old Bahama Marina bathroom or in my dinghy.

Here is the last update, written after a ten-hour search, so it might be a bit "off."

The Wild Goose Search For Dagny. - SV Dagny

Thanks Ann for the plane idea. Without a sighting though, I don't think it would be economically wise. Dagny is worth $20K, and while it is everything I own, a seaplane chase can quickly add up. Something to keep in mind if her position is reported though.

The support has been overwhelming. I still can't wait in West-End very long draining $100/day. My other option is wait for Dagny in France or find cheaper accommodations. A fellow cruiser arriving in the Bahamas in about a week has offered me a berth. I can't believe the generosity. I might have to find my way to Nassau in a few days, either via airplane or a boater heading that way from here, which would be best.

For those speculating on how and why I did certain things, like use my spare CQR to anchor, read my blog, it's all there. Had I done something obviously stupid, it would be somewhat easier, I would know to blame myself and turn the page having learned a good lesson. I used an adequate anchor after losing my Mantus, used enough scope, lots of chain and a brand new nylon rode. The boat stayed there for hours before drifting off. I last checked on it at most an hour and a half before noticing it gone and got three helpful guys with their power boat to take me look for her. I think we didn't look North enough, probably missed her by a hair. It was very dark that night.

Yesterday's search didn't turn up anything, see the link above.

Unfortunately my inReach tracker was with me, to be charged at the marina.
I had an AIS receiver, but not transmitter. I'll never do that again, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

My communication capabilities are somewhat limited right now. If I didn't have my computer, which is my business tool, I would be in a much dire situation. Yet, there won't be much to do before the first week of January, bad timing.

Tomorrow I am going to Freeport to buy some clothes, having only the ones on my back, which I wash every night, as well as a carry-on bag, and maybe a cheap prepaid phone.

Accepting help is something that goes against the grain for me. I do appreciate it greatly though. I intend on refunding all those who sent me a few dollars via Paypal. Thanks again.

I'll add that despite what happened, I do not regret trying. I left the dock and crossed the Gulf Stream. It's not much, and even if it costs me $20K, it's priceless. And just maybe this is not the end of the story.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 13:46   #155

Boat: Hedonist 44
Send a message via Skype™ to lenseman

I have found a guy in FL who is following Gil and his yacht but does not know it is drifting

He is a flying instructor in FL and I have just Tweeted him hoping he will search. I know money for any gas used would be found by fellow cruisers and it must be cheaper than finding another yacht

https://twitter.com/ktgflyer

Here's hoping ?

S/Y "Surabaya Girl" - 2DTW3 - Portsmouth UK
lenseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 14:25   #156

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
...For those speculating on how and why I did certain things, like use my spare CQR to anchor, read my blog, it's all there. Had I done something obviously stupid, it would be somewhat easier, I would know to blame myself and turn the page having learned a good lesson. I used an adequate anchor after losing my Mantus, used enough scope, lots of chain and a brand new nylon rode. The boat stayed there for hours before drifting off. I last checked on it at most an hour and a half before noticing it gone and got three helpful guys with their power boat to take me look for her. I think we didn't look North enough, probably missed her by a hair. It was very dark that night.

Yesterday's search didn't turn up anything, see the link above.

Unfortunately my inReach tracker was with me, to be charged at the marina.
I had an AIS receiver, but not transmitter. I'll never do that again, but of course hindsight is 20/20.

My communications capabilities are somewhat limited right now. If I didn't have my computer, which is my business tool, I would be in a much dire situation...
It's so unfortunate the search has not produced. Starting from that first 1-1/2 hours, since you'd last seen it, the probable search area has continued to multiply at an incalculably increasing rate. But you can't give up now.

Many here will not read your blog or be redirected by links. So just assume we're all going by the information you post right here. And be sure that virtually everyone speculates, given our common interest, curiosity, and desire to never lose our own boats in this same manner. Surely you will learn some priceless lessons from this whole experience.

Though you have a checklist of anchor related items, is it possible, for example, that it had never been properly set? Thought I read the engine was not working? Or that the brand new nylon rode had not had its bitter end permanently attached to the boat? In thinking about how we can avoid this same thing happening to others, these are the questions we'll ask ourselves.

On precisely locating your boat, you can be certain that the US government has multiple satellite images of your boat along the path it has traveled. Though I've never heard of them using that capability to help out visiting yachtsmen who lose their boats, but all you need is one right contact, not saying it's easy, but perhaps possible.

BTW, that is a great boat, by a great designer, you're looking for.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 15:21   #157

There aren't any cruisers there that can take you out for a few days searching?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 16:16   #158

Boat: Lidgard 32

Gutted for you but fingers crossed.
Great to see the response on here, gives me a little faith in humanity!

few more dollars headed your way via paypal.... Good luck.
NZBRAND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 16:27   #159

Quote:
I might have to find my way to Nassau in a few days, either via airplane or a boater heading that way from here, which would be best.
Don't forget the ferries. There are several from Freeport to Nassau (mailboat and commercial ferry).

Quote:
I'll add that despite what happened, I do not regret trying. I left the dock and crossed the Gulf Stream. It's not much, and even if it costs me $20K, it's priceless. And just maybe this is not the end of the story.
Amen to that. Good on you.
RainDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 17:10   #160

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

It is very close to the recurring dream I had when sailing my Cape Dory 26 to Bermuda. I would dream that I was ashore at a party or some other function and the SKUA was sailing along by herself and I could not figure out a way to rejoin her. Terrible nightmare and I had the same dream repeatedly.

Paypal sent was a gift not a loan.

I have contacted Civil Air Patrol on your behalf. A nearby member just completed a circumnavigation and I contacted him as well in case he had any particular insight.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 17:46   #161

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

I looked but could not find this info: did she have any lights? Maybe some auto solar lights? I've been assuming she had no lights on. But we keep a couple solar lights aboard Rain Dog, they come on at sunset. Not bright but is something to add to her description in the BOTLO.
Thanks
Old 25-12-2015, 19:38   #162

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Rough estimate - Dagny should be about 40-50 miles off Daytona Beach and moving along nicely in the Gulf Stream. If it continues, I'd be looking at if hanging up on the Frying Pan shoals on the 30th, or going ashore near Cape Lookout by the next day.

Good luck on the search.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 20:56   #163

Boat: Tayana 37

Civil Air Patrol is a great idea.

Another avenue worth pursuing is the local chapter of the EAA. These are people who built their own planes, who look forward to any excuse to fly and who appreciate the loss a fellow voyager must be feeling.

I'll see if I can make some calls and get some people at the EAA interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Tailwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2015, 21:43   #164

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailwheel View Post
Civil Air Patrol is a great idea.

Another avenue worth pursuing is the local chapter of the EAA. These are people who built their own planes, who look forward to any excuse to fly and who appreciate the loss a fellow voyager must be feeling.

I'll see if I can make some calls and get some people at the EAA interested.

Good on ya, mate, thanks for helping.

Ann
Old 25-12-2015, 21:45   #165

Boat: Beneteau 473

I've shared this thread with my older brother who is a colonel in the CAP now located in Tampa area.

IntoMyHealth is offline   Reply With Quote