Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-01-2016, 08:57   #1096
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
No it does not mirror the strobe light, I couldn't turn his light off, I can filter out stationary vessels on my AIS. :-) .

Good point!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:11   #1097
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know due to the time that has expired it may be less than accurate, but is there even a WAG on where Dagny might be by now?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 09:59   #1098

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salty Mike View Post
Wanna know which one wants (loves) you most?
Just lock them both in a closet for a few hours then see which one is happy to see you when you let them out.

The dog just bit him. What's next?
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:08   #1099

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Well, it's probably not going to bother anyone already tied up to the dock to have their AIS transmitting. I just figured people forget to turn it off, or the system is hard wired so it's difficult to turn off. They don't draw much power. I did have one boater tell me he purposely kept it on because he lived far from his boat and wanted to keep tabs on it. I agree with smj that the better practice would be to turn off transmissions at the dock or at a secure anchorage, but still think it's not a bad idea to keep it on at an anchorage where there's any risk of getting hit. But I also concur with Monte that it's not that big of a deal when you approach a busy harbor. Generally all the docked or anchored boats show up in concentrated clusters on the plotter, and when you inevitably start zooming in there's really not much chance of confusion or annoyance (assuming alarms are disabled).

Fwiw, I had an interesting experience sailing along the Carolina coast one night with brisk following winds. Pretty busy shipping route, and my AIS receiver picked up a fast moving merchant vessel coming up behind me to overtake. His course happened to be right on my same rhumb line. Don't recall if it showed on my radar (maybe because radome is on front of mast & ship was directly behind?), but the AIS prompted me to call the ship on the radio. The cap immediately responded, said he did not see me on his radar, did not have a visual (I was properly lit), and would alter course around me (I was stand on). So this incident further convinced me that having an AIS receiver is all upside given the cost, and having a transponder (that you can turn off) is even better. But I also understand smj's instinct for keeping things simple, and it sounds like he has plenty of experience doing without the add'l electronics.

What's nice is there is a permanent record of both of your tracks. Let's imagine that he didn't answer your call and didn't change his course. You try to evade, but it's too late and he hits and sinks your boat.

You claim he struck your vessel, he claims you cut across his track and could not avoid hitting you, and falsifies his deck log to back up his claim. Since your boat sank, you have no record of your track. At first it looks like a case of your word against his.

But thanks to AIS and companies like Portvision, there is a permanent record of every AIS transmission from both vessels and tracks that can be replayed to reenact what really happened if you need to prove it in court. While I hope it never happens, you'd be amazed at how many people lie when they screw up, and it takes an impartial record of AIS transmissions to get to the truth, especially when there are tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake.
Old 14-01-2016, 10:17   #1100

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
What's nice is there is a permanent record of both of your tracks. Let's imagine that he didn't answer your call and didn't change his course. You try to evade, but it's too late and he hits and sinks your boat.

You claim he struck your vessel, he claims you cut across his track and could not avoid hitting you, and falsifies his deck log to back up his claim. Since your boat sank, you have no record of your track. At first it looks like a case of your word against his.

But thanks to AIS and companies like Portvision, there is a permanent record of every AIS transmission from both vessels and tracks that can be replayed to reenact what really happened if you need to prove it in court. While I hope it never happens, you'd be amazed at how many people lie when they screw up, and it takes an impartial record of AIS transmissions to get to the truth, especially when there are tens or hundreds of thousands of dollars at stake.
I didn't realize that recreational vessels also had their tracks permanently stored as records. Interesting, thanks.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 10:19   #1101

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
As Exile has illustrated AIS is a great tool when used correctly. I still haven't heard the advantages of using AIS in a secure anchorage or especially at a dock. Collision avoidance? Hopefully someone entering a well known anchorage would have their eyeballs glued on the other boats rather than an electronic screen. I guess it really shouldn't bother me as I wouldn't have one turned on while entering an anchorage anyway.

A good friend of mine has a very nice trimaran on the end of the dock, due to the width of his vessel, that's the only place it will fit. One day he came back to it and someone had hit it, causing several thousand dollars in damage. He asked several neighboring owners if they had seen anything, but none of them noticed when it happened.

If he had known about AIS tracking at the time, it would have been pretty simple to track every vessel that went past his boat in that 18 hr period and check for similar damage to his. He had to settle for repairing it himself, the materials alone cost him well over $1,000.

There are plenty of boaters who lose control of their boat while entering hte marina for whatever reason: loss of steerage, loss of propulsion, big gust of wind, etc. AIS is just a tool for collision avoidance and can also be used to track who hit who, it's a tool just like a hammer is. I haven't met anyone who thinks a hammer is too complicated or too much bother.
Old 14-01-2016, 11:08   #1102

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

To many lawyers in the world.
Old 14-01-2016, 11:25   #1103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
To many lawyers in the world.
Too many liars in the world, creating the need for lawyers.
Old 14-01-2016, 11:46   #1104
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
A good friend of mine has a very nice trimaran on the end of the dock, due to the width of his vessel, that's the only place it will fit. One day he came back to it and someone had hit it, causing several thousand dollars in damage. He asked several neighboring owners if they had seen anything, but none of them noticed when it happened.

If he had known about AIS tracking at the time, it would have been pretty simple to track every vessel that went past his boat in that 18 hr period and check for similar damage to his. He had to settle for repairing it himself, the materials alone cost him well over $1,000.

There are plenty of boaters who lose control of their boat while entering hte marina for whatever reason: loss of steerage, loss of propulsion, big gust of wind, etc. AIS is just a tool for collision avoidance and can also be used to track who hit who, it's a tool just like a hammer is. I haven't met anyone who thinks a hammer is too complicated or too much bother.

But if the vessel that hit him wasn't transmitting an AIS signal?

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:27   #1105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:

That and I don't think the resolution is that good, did I drive right by him on the way to my slip, or was I the guy that hit him? I don't thin an AIS track is that precise, being it's based on GPS?

But the point of having recorded tracks is a good one, it may keep some honest
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 12:59   #1106

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know due to the time that has expired it may be less than accurate, but is there even a WAG on where Dagny might be by now?
From what I have heard via Glenn at ssca, no sightings, and Chris has exhausted his powers of perception to figure out where she may be. His last guesstimate was somewhere along the coast from ft Pierce, Florida to northern (coast)Georgia 12/5/2016.
I'm sure she is still floating about, just need to keep reminding folks who are transiting east coast to keep a sharp eye out for her, she will be spotted sooner or later.
Old 14-01-2016, 13:04   #1107

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
From what I have heard via Glenn at ssca, no sightings, and Chris has exhausted his powers of perception to figure out where she may be. His last guesstimate was somewhere along the coast from ft Pierce, Florida to northern (coast)Georgia 12/5/2016.
I'm sure she is still floating about, just need to keep reminding folks who are transiting east coast to keep a sharp eye out for her, she will be spotted sooner or later.
Unless of course it was stolen and in a bay or inlet somewhere.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 13:06   #1108
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
My crystal balling is she caught in an easterly vortex and moved AWAY from the coast.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2016, 13:35   #1109

Quote:

All the more reason everyone should have AIS.

There was a time when no cars had seat belts. Now they all have them, in addition to airbags.
Old 14-01-2016, 13:58   #1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
That and I don't think the resolution is that good, did I drive right by him on the way to my slip, or was I the guy that hit him? I don't thin an AIS track is that precise, being it's based on GPS?

But the point of having recorded tracks is a good one, it may keep some honest
I have 12 different GPSs, including my phone and tablet. 10 out of the 12 have all given me 2-3 ft accuracy at one time or another; the 2 older units don't show that much resolution that you can see that level of detail.

In the case of the trimaran owner, all he needed from the AIS records was the names of the few vessels that passed through that spot in the marina during that 18 hr period to give him a few leads to track down.

It sure would have been nice if the owner of the other vessel had left a note, but I fear that those days are pretty much gone, based on the damage to my cars in parking lots. Even when I caught the other driver red handed hitting my car, they tried to deny it!