Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 15:08   #1006

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smj View Post
Inland rules state the strobe light is to used by vessels in distress.
http://www.uscgboating.org/library/b...bscscan75b.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Thank you.
But I use mine.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 15:20   #1007

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Amen to that.

Let us also not forget that boats don't make a habit of wondering off on their own.
We don't need to go nuts and turn our boats into a floating circus on the off-chance we'll end up looking for a lost boat.

Invest in a decent anchor / ground tackle, not a strobe

After annoying enough people, that light might be the reason your boat is no longer where you thought it might be
And when people stop living on marinas on move 'onto the hook' they find that their ideas change when they become more experienced.
Time will tell.
Old 12-01-2016, 15:41   #1008

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
-----
Lets say he gets held up and doesn't get back until after sundown.
-----
Gee, I wonder where I got this hypothesis from?
Old 12-01-2016, 15:56   #1009
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

Quote:
And when people stop living on marinas on move 'onto the hook' they find that their ideas change when they become more experienced.
Time will tell.
The more experienced have confidence in both their ground tackle and ability to set the anchor where they don't find a strobe necessary. The more experienced would recognize the holding was bad when they set the anchor and wouldnt leave their boat in those conditions.
How did we ever feel secure while anchored or at the dock before AIS? Maybe when we park our car we should leave the lights on just in case someone doesn't see us in the parking lot?
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:28   #1010
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

I'm thinking more mooring fields is the clear solution. Worldwide, anytime you are on soundings, outside a channel. BAM, mooring field. Impossible to drag anchor! (AIS optional) for now.
Old 12-01-2016, 16:42   #1011

Quote:
The more experienced have confidence in both their ground tackle and ability to set the anchor where they don't find a strobe necessary. The more experienced would recognize the holding was bad when they set the anchor and wouldnt leave their boat in those conditions.
How did we ever feel secure while anchored or at the dock before AIS? Maybe when we park our car we should leave the lights on just in case someone doesn't see us in the parking lot?
I'm so over hooked and chained my windlass often has trouble lifting the chain out of the turbulent sand. Then comes the hook.
I idle in dropping the hook and chain and eventually the boats swings rapidly thru 180 degs because of inertia, much more burying capability than reversing.
6 years 24x7 often 50ft water and breezy at 40 + kn.
Works for me, don't get out of bed, never worried.
Tiny boat, 25lb manson supreme front&back. 250ft chain on the bow with a 100 ft nylon snubber controlled from cockpit sheet winch.
Old 12-01-2016, 16:48   #1012

Quote:
Forgot the strobe.
Occasionally I have to go to hospital with the possibility of not not coming back 'til next day or more.
On those occasions I use the strobe as there are plenty of drunks driving boats.
And water police have never questioned my use.

A low power strobe would have located Gils boat by 9pm.
Albiet with the possibility of the odd pissed old mariner.
Old 12-01-2016, 16:53   #1013
smj

Boat: TRT 1200

[QUOTE=brianlara 3;2014164]Forgot the strobe.

Occasionally I have to go to hospital with the possibility of not not coming back 'til next day or more.

On those occasions I use the strobe as there are plenty of drunks driving boats.

Albiet with the possibility of the odd pissed old mariner. [end quote]

The drunks will think your strobe is a shooting star, try to actually illuminate your boat rather than the sky's above. Much better results.

smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 16:55   #1014

[QUOTE=smj;2014175]
Quote:
Forgot the strobe.

Albiet with the possibility of the odd pissed old mariner.[/

The drunks will think your strobe is a shooting star, try to actually illuminate your boat rather than the sky's above. Much better results.

Crap.
Old 12-01-2016, 17:32   #1015

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Thank you.
But I use mine.
A rather cavalier disregard for Colregs, Brian. I can only wonder what other rules you reckon don't apply to you?

Jim
Old 12-01-2016, 18:03   #1016
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
A rather cavalier disregard for Colregs, Brian. I can only wonder what other rules you reckon don't apply to you?

Jim
Agree

Strobe users should have their boats impounded unless duress.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 18:25   #1017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim
I guess bieng a physicist doesn't necessarily qualify one for possession of propriety or social standing....yes and you have many CF friends too.

Jim, in the past I have accused you of being juvenile and at times other things too but today you've surpassed your previous lows.

And with your memory satisfied today is pay back day.

You don't know me and you never will but there are many here in Australia and in other contries (incl nsw water police and nsw maritime) who know that if there is one thing that
Brian Metcalfe is NOT....then that thing is recalcitrant.
Moreover, I probably goe to the aid of others, call maritime or water police, MORE than any othwr vessel in nsw waters.
Because you are qualified to be the judge of nobody it is pathetic that I attempt to defend myself to you....o f a l l people.

I once worked a man called Ted. Ted was an angry man of modest physical stature.

Is there an " old boys club " thing at play here Jim?
Old 12-01-2016, 18:39   #1018

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I guess bieng a physicist doesn't necessarily qualify one for possession of propriety or social standing....yes and you have many CF friends too.

Jim, in the past I have accused you of being juvenile and at times other things too but today you've surpassed your previous lows.

You don't know me and you never will but there are many here in Australia and in other contries (incl nsw water police and nsw maritime) who know that if there is one thing that
Moreover, I probably goe to the aid of others, call maritime or water police, MORE than any othwr vessel in nsw waters.
Because you are qualified to be the judge of nobody it is pathetic that I attempt to defend myself to you....o f a l l people.

I once worked a man called Ted. Ted was an angry man of modest physical stature.

Brian, I'm sure that all the things you say about yourself are true, but you did say that you routinely use a recognized distress signal to mark your boat at anchor. To me, that shows disregard of Colregs, and of the wellbeing of others who might misinterpret your signal.

I stand by that opinion and I don't really care what names you chose to call me as a result.

Jim
Old 12-01-2016, 18:50   #1019

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:

I'm certainly not one to question your recalcitrance but I do question your use of the strobe for non-emergency purposes. Of course I realize that things may be different where you sail, but here in the US if I saw an anchored boat with a strobe on, I would attempt to call that boat on the vhf radio to see what was wrong and if I could help, and if no answer, I would approach the boat in my own boat or in my dinghy to see if help was needed. I'd be worried about someone aboard possibly with an injury or medical issue, or maybe they're below pumping furiously or trying to stop a leak or a fire? If I couldn't see anyone or raise anyone aboard the boat, I'd call the local harbormaster and/or Coast Guard so they could check out the boat. I'd do the same for any boat that seemed to be indicating they were in distress of some kind and I'd assume that there would be others in most harbors who would be doing the same sort of things in response to a strobe. Seems like a lot of trouble for a lot of people to go to just because someone decided to use a strobe while ashore to make their boat easier to find rather than to signal distress.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 19:04   #1020

Jim. Get the mind clear...
You accuse me of "routinely" snubbing colregs.

Click back a few posts... you will see that I said "occasionally"........

SO I've been thinking back over the last six years and it is true, Your Honour! that on four or five occasions i have infringed colregs in that terrible way.

SO pm me and to the best of my ability I'll give you dates ans locations so that you can tell grill me good.

Jim, when you were in Towlers Bay which pump- ........

Glass houses Jim.

So undignifing talking to you YOUR Honour.

If I pm my mobile # to you would you walk me through this "ignore button" thing I've read about? Need your help here Jim.