Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2015, 06:48   #76
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Here's hoping for a Festivus miracle.

Good luck finding and retrieving her.
My season is immediately better with the reminder of Festivus!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 08:04   #77

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
...Since I could not start my engine I anchored off the beach a mile South of the channel. Everything was seemingly fine, forty feet of chain and maybe fifteen of nylon rode...
I'd say you are one very lucky boy to have learned such an important lesson, now, while you were safe on land during mild weather, rather than discover your unpreparedness when your life could have been on the line.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 08:30   #78

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Per SSCA coast guard is not running a SAR as there is no one aboard.

Thanks for the thanks. :-) Really, I haven't done much, it's the massive wonderful community here at CF and at SSCA that is on the ground helping him, thank God.

He still has not actually found the vessel, it was spotted, so he knows she is out there. I believe any cash loans you will float his way would be put to good use, gas it expensive, and I'm thinking a plane will be needed to get this done. He has stated from the beginning that he does not take donations, that they would be loans, but we hope to be able to just say to him that he owes us a sundowner when we anchor near him and his beautiful Dagny. :-).
Old 24-12-2015, 09:30   #79

Boat: Bluewater 40, Cal 20, Bayliner Avanti

Yes, I agree with Ocean Girl..at this point any cash help a lot because everything is money.. move, eat, hire a boat.. Please, be kind and remember he is taking as loan, not donation.
Happened similar to me in '95 and still have nightmare about it..
God bless everybody helping this young man... Merry Christmas people!
Old 24-12-2015, 09:44   #80

Boat: Seaward 22

I remember a debate on the forum some time ago about whether to leave the AIS on or not in a harbor. This is a situation where it would definitely help to have the AIS left on...I had never really considered this before. Always a learning experience on here.

Hope you get your boat back safely.

Fair winds,
ODB
ohdrinkboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 09:44   #81

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by japarker11 View Post
Screen Shot.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
What did I say? No one listens to me. Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clamdigger View Post
Gil, See if you can hire a fisherman to get on his boat and go after your's before someone else boards it and claims 'salvage'!! Find a fisherman with the most decent boat around that's well kept and won't crap out enroute to recovering your boat. Put all of your money into small bills show him the stack and see if he'll take you for a 'tour of the immediate area'. Don't tell him you're going to get YOUR boat! When you see your boat tell the fisherman that it's your friend's boat and to drive over so you can say HI. Once alongside jump aboard as fast as you can and DO NOT ALLOW THE FISHERMAN TO TIE OFF TO YOUR BOAT! Bid him fareewell and thanks for the lift!

Best of luck for a quick recovery of your boat.
I find this to be baloney. Bahamian fishermen are men of the sea and generally good dudes. No one's going to try to claim your little sloop for salvage. I'd worry about that more in somewhere like Newport, Rhode Island. I have experience with this having hauled a friend's million dollar cutter off of a reef in Grand Cay with a one armed fisherman. He wouldn't accept a beer afterwords, said he had to get to church.

Keep us updated buddy. The West end is a really difficult spot. Super expensive slips and no where to go anchor (as you've discovered) if it's blowing. I was once holed up there for 4 days with a busted alternator mount. During that time I sounded out a one boat anchorage directly behind the marina in the channels back there. Felt like very good holding and there was deep water all the way back.
Old 24-12-2015, 09:45   #82

Boat: Looking for a new boat

Also if you do get stuck there don't go to Nassau. Bus rides to Freeport are like $8 and IMO its a much friendlier place.
Old 24-12-2015, 10:23   #83

From the awesome folks at SSCA, especially Glenn, hopefully she will be found now that the cruising community is gearing up and gaining momentum

Copied from SSCA Facebook

"Lookout issued by SSCA Radio Station “KPK” at 1000 hrs, 24 Dec 2016
On December 23, 2015 at an unknown time in the afternoon, French singlehanded sailor Gil Gruson anchored his 26’ Morris Francis sloop named S/V DAGNY near the beach at West End, Bahamas after a voyage from St Lucie Inlet to West End. He lost his primary anchor and resorted to using a 20-pound CQR. He went ashore in his dinghy, and when he returned his boat was gone. He presumes the boat dragged anchor into deep water and his now lost somewhere at sea.
The vessel is further described as a flush deck double ender sloop, white in color with a dark colored stripe at the gunwale. Teak cap rail. Self steering wind vane on stern. Tiller steering. Full keel. What appears in a video to be a small tan canvas bimini, which covers only the cockpit. There is a clear plexiglass bubble in the hatch cover.
The incident was reported to the USCG RCC Miami. This was confirmed at 0720 hrs 24 December through a call to the USCG. However, as the vessel is unoccupied, the case is not being handled as a search & rescue. I re-contacted the USCG at 0930 hrs and they are going to issue a notice to mariners as a hazard to navigation.
Weather router Chris Parker with the Marine Weather Center was contacted and provided the following wind and drift analysis giving positions where the vessel may be drifting.
Wind has been blowing roughly SE since Wed23 afternoon, and at a fairly good clip.
Late Wed23 afternoon into evening: 150@10-15 in the relative wind-shadow of WestEnd...assume 1k of drift in direction 330T...which places vessel about 9mi NNW of WestEnd at midnight last night.
From midnight-9am this morning, wind probable backed SE. Wind velocity varied significantly in the area, but passive microwave SSM/I suggests close to 15k...assume 1.5k of drift (14 miles in 9 hours) in the direction 315T.
In 18 hours from 3pm Wed23-9am Thu24, the vessel likely drifted (due to the effects of wind) about 23 miles, in a direction about NE (320T) from where it was anchored. Estimated 9am position: 27-00N/79-17W
Assuming my assumptions about speed of drift of the 26' sailboat trailing an anchor and anchor line are correct...about 20-25 miles in a direction of 320T from WestEnd, the vessel should begin entering the N-flowing current of GulfStream.
Again, if my assumptions are correct, then from 9am this morning to 6pm this evening, the vessel would drift as follows:
Wind component: wind backs 135T to 120T, averaging 15k...vessel might drift at 1.5k (14 miles) in a direction 295T
Current component: due-N, increasing from 0.5k-1.0k at 9am...to 2.0k by 6pm...for an average N-ward drift of about 1.2k, or 11 miles, in a direction 360T.
Estimated position at 6pm: 27-15N/79-30W.
From here, wind will shift vessel into center of GulfStream, where it accelerates N-ward...likely passing 28N/79-45W about 9am Fri25.
Hope this helps...Chris.
Captain Gil Gruson has lost everything he owns except his Delorme GPS and the clothes on his back. He slept in a gym on West End last night. Further information about Mr. Gruson may be found on his website svdagny.com.
If anyone has direct contact with Gil Gruson on West End, please ask him to contact the USCG at 305-415-6800.
All vessels are requested to be on the lookout for this drifting vessel. Any sightings should be reported to the USCG and KPK@ssca.org. "
Copied from SSCA Facebook.
Old 24-12-2015, 10:25   #84

Also a BASRA is taking Gil out using these drift analysis from Chris Parker.
Old 24-12-2015, 10:30   #85

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

OG--great post!
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 10:53   #86

Well... let's hope a towboat operator doesn't salvage it. The price will be high to get it back.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 12:09   #87

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

The boat was under sail when he came in and anchored. Why can he not sail it wherever he wants to go to live and work and get the engine fixed?

Good on ya Erika! Let's hope he gets aboard today, what a wonderful Christmas present!

Thanks, too, to all who have made donations.

Ann
Old 24-12-2015, 12:18   #88

Boat: Catalina 470

Coming in late here (been busy with family matters), but read the whole thread...
And, as a fellow sailor (and someone who has sailed the Bahamas since 1965), I'm overjoyed at the support, camaraderie, and assistance offered to one of our fellow sailors!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Also a BASRA is taking Gil out using these drift analysis from Chris Parker.
Kudos to ALL of you here!!

And, no matter what your personal beliefs, Merry Christmas to all!!

Fair winds.

John

P.S.....another part of this miracle is the weak Gulf Stream at the moment...only about 1.5kts, versus its usually 2.5-3.0 kts along this stretch!!
(While I agree with Chris on the wind....I suspect the Stream to push it a bit slower....making locating by BASARA a bit easier???)
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 12:36   #89

Boat: Nordic 44

Hey all,

A long shot, but right now a Carnival cruise ship is proceeding north up the bank in the area of Parker's guess.

Carnival are floating cell towers. If you can get gil's cell carrier info and ping the number they can get the gps location (if it is on). Carnival's range is about 10 miles in open water.

Like I say, long shot but we did it in Glacier Bay Alaska last year.

You have about an hour of opportunity.

Sent from my LG-V410 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
japarker11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2015, 12:51   #90

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

GIL,
Man I feel for you. I've been watching this unfold in real time and I sure hope you have a successful outcome. Keeping my fingers crossed for you. Unfortunately its probably dark now in the Bahamas and we haven't heard an update. Hopefully you're sailing back to the harbor with your boat. Keep us posted.