Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-01-2016, 19:36   #676
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
After spending all he had on the boat he set out with three hundred dollars. He took ashore out of this $150 to pay for the cruising fee. When he saw that his boat had gone he was standing with $30 in his pocket. He has income from his programming business. But as it stands he was stranded with the clothes on his back, his little dingy, an inreach handheld and $30 in his pocket. In a desperate shape if I may say so. It was the generosity of people on CF and boaters in the area that came to his aid. Thank you.
So, you're saying he had NOTHING in any bank account, any brokerage account, anywhere else tied up in assets or left on his boat...and you're absolutely sure about this.

EDIT: never mind. This hardly matters.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 19:51   #677

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltyMonkey View Post
So, you're saying he had NOTHING in any bank account, any brokerage account, anywhere else tied up in assets or left on his boat...and you're absolutely sure about this.

EDIT: never mind. This hardly matters.
Given his work history, his divorce that took the last boat and the fact that he sold up everything to pay for the last items for his boat I am pretty sure and I take it on face value when he said he left on his sailing odyssey with $300 in his pocket. No I haven't audited his accounts. But I have read ALL of his pre voyage blogs. Learned a lot about him and then added common sense. Only conclusion was here was a human being stranded with meager cash resources a few days before Christmas. I do not doubt for one minute he needed help and I am sure still does.

Wishing you good fortune and lots of bananas for 2016.

Chaya
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 19:54   #678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
People, please be more civil, and more tolerant of each other. Thread drift is not nearly the problem here, as bickering is. We've had to delete quite a few posts, and if this continues, we will have to start issuing sanctions.

Anyone ever been in a police car or ambulance during an emergency? All kinds of different conversations go on -- it's only natural. Ignore those things which are not interesting to you and keep moving. What is not natural is when people use occasions like this to come up with something nasty to say under the guise of being "brutally honest" -- that has been discussed. All this sniping at each other is also not natural, and is not going to be tolerated.
Thank you Dockhead.
Old 01-01-2016, 20:01   #679

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Given his work history, his divorce that took the last boat and the fact that he sold up everything to pay for the last items for his boat I am pretty sure and I take it on face value when he said he left on his sailing odyssey with $300 in his pocket. No I haven't audited his accounts. But I have read ALL of his pre voyage blogs. Learned a lot about him and then added common sense. Only conclusion was here was a human being stranded with meager cash resources a few days before Christmas. I do not doubt for one minute he needed help and I am sure still does.

Chaya
It will seem outrageously irresponsible to some people, but maybe those people could keep such thoughts to themselves.

Speaking for myself, I have on a number of occasions been the beneficiary of the random kindness of strangers, when I got myself into a jam when doing something adventurous -- and "adventurous" is often a synonym for "irresponsible", just with a different spin put on it. My reaction to Gil's plight, therefore, is -- there but for the grace of God go I. I think it's great that so many on here have been so helpful, and I sure hope his boat turns up.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 20:13   #680
cruiser

Quote:
...Only conclusion was here was a human being stranded with meager cash resources a few days before Christmas. I do not doubt for one minute he needed help and I am sure still does.

Chaya
I don't judge based on a current monthly balance etc. Just want to focus on getting his boat back (one of my nightmares).

Many bananas for everyone 2016!
Old 01-01-2016, 20:20   #681

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
It will seem outrageously irresponsible to some people, but maybe those people could keep such thoughts to themselves.

Speaking for myself, I have on a number of occasions been the beneficiary of the random kindness of strangers, when I got myself into a jam when doing something adventurous -- and "adventurous" is often a synonym for "irresponsible", just with a different spin put on it. My reaction to Gil's plight, therefore, is -- there but for the grace of God go I. I think it's great that so many on here have been so helpful, and I sure hope his boat turns up.
Your a good man and a good sailor. CFers our on a whole a great bunch of people. There are some who at times must be suffering from dehydration or too much hydration. But even those members have their own redeeming features. IMHO, you can't go wrong by doing random acts of goodness and kindness.

Regards,
Chaya.
Old 01-01-2016, 20:32   #682
cruiser

Quote:
Your a good man and a good sailor. CFers our on a whole a great bunch of people. There are some who at times must be suffering from dehydration or too much hydration. But even those members have their own redeeming features. IMHO, you can't go wrong by doing random acts of goodness and kindness.

Regards,
Chaya.
The problem I have with both of your (incl dockheads) argument and why I cringe when I read the heart bleeding here, is that if he DID have money, it leaves open the question that you might not be as charitable to offer help. You might not even be interested in his problem at all.

Hence the only thing that I think is important, that is in common to anyone of any "hydration" or "dehydration", is getting the poor guy's boat back. Anything else is marginal. Yes, help the guy out, but that's not the overarching thesis or one we should keep in the forefront of our minds.
Old 01-01-2016, 21:41   #683

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

I sail close to and communicate with sailboats boats that aren't making headway offshore for the sole purpose of assisting if possible.

Dagny's name out in the boating community on the eastern seaboard is Gils best hope.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Old 01-01-2016, 21:48   #684

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post

I've heard that the harder you work, the luckier you get.
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 21:53   #685
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
Didn't work for me. Just shovel me the money!
Old 01-01-2016, 22:30   #686

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

It was Gils plight that inspired my new signature. Were it not for the luck of the draw where would you be?

Meeting the right woman? Having the right mentor? Having help when ur loved ones were in peril? Pick any event in your life and think what could have changed it?

The fickle finger of fate is a little used term from the days before tv remotes but some a y'all know it. It flipped Gil the bird this time a bit but he's still kickin.

The game ain't over.

Old 01-01-2016, 22:42   #687

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
No, your are not. You are just posting your opinion on Gil's situation ad nauseam.
Your posts are way past old and disturbing. Give it a rest.
As with all CF members, you're certainly welcome to your opinion. Lord knows I offered up mine, and hopefully clearly enough for non-delusional folks to understand. Even though the world now has real-time mass communications, this saga is only one degree of separation away from the Mary Celeste, with a tinge of The Donner Party thrown in for good measure.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 23:18   #688

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:

I tried work a few times but wasn't good at it. Now I hire others at minimum wage with no benefits and reap the profits$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 23:21   #689

Quote:
Well said. In fact, psychologists note that "luck" is like color, a fabrication of the mind, which has little to do with reality.

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 03:24   #690
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I will not presume to judge as I nearly lost my boat when anchored at Cascais in the 90's.. lucky for me a Portuguese fishing boat nearby sent a boat to grab her..
The PO had drilled a hole in the shaft for a pin to hold it on the roller (CQR)..
The previous 3 days and nights of her swinging back and forth in 30kt N winds had broken the shaft at the hole.
Just glad I had 150ft plus of chain down in 5m.. slowed her drag in the lighter winds which had finally allowed us ashore for fresh food.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote