Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 09:59   #601

Boat: Pearson 34-II
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Hi, since you asked and it will contribute to the positive educational aspects of this thread:
I use long sweeps in quiet water. Yes a 14 gross ton boat can be moved with sweeps. In an emergency this can be tied to the winches or pushpit, but I like mounts. It takes time, and you do not go against the tide or wind (much)
I once had a Catalina 27 (more of the OP boat size) which I used sweeps to get into port almost every time as it had a old outboard that would never start. 3-4 tons is alot easier to work with. I could actually row upwind (for short distances) to get through the dogleg into the marina.
You figure you are about one third horsepower. A operating dingy with outboard is much easier, although it is harder to coordinate at first. The method outlined above is a good one I have seen used a few times.
We are sailors. We listen to the waves, wind and tide and convince them to help us. We don't and it comes back to smack us in the butt. What happened here is just a mistake by a young sailor, nothing more.
Thanks, Beth, for the reply. Do you have a source for the "sweeps?" The only time I've seen them is in pictures on the Pardeys' boat. Also, where do you have the "mounts" on your boat? Any pix? Best, Rognvald
Old 31-12-2015, 10:17   #602

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
There are some bottoms that anchors cannot penetrate. And they don't tell you on the chart.

In this case, they do. From the Explorer and Garmin charts: "Fair to poor holding|Anchorage|NE of marina entrance; poor holding in hard scoured bottom and unsafe in strong W wind; good holding in small sandy patches; moderate current. Moderate draft can anchor in flats along Goodwill Channel route to West End Settlement. Some wind chop and current."

Active Captain has much to say on the area also.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:18   #603
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

There is a whole science to properly selecting and using sweeps, each boat is different because of the free board and physicality of the user. I made a few at home. A set can be seen on my Compac 23 pictures that are in my user stuff.
For commercial purchase, you might start here:
Caviness Painted Boat Oars
There used to be The Oar Club, for purists of this type. Seems to have broken up...
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:22   #604

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
There is a whole science to properly selecting and using sweeps, each boat is different because of the free board and physicality of the user. I made a few at home. A set can be seen on my Compac 23 pictures that are in my user stuff.
For commercial purchase, you might start here:
Caviness Painted Boat Oars
There used to be The Oar Club, for purists of this type. Seems to have broken up...

Beth,
I don't mean to unduly hijack this discussion, but what length sculling oar(s) do you use for the Valiant? They use 7'10" sculls on small rowing boats. Thanks, Rognvald
Old 31-12-2015, 10:23   #605

Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlechay View Post
Almost. By default manual response is required, at least on all the sets I've played with, so the settings would have to be changed to allow automatic responses.

For what it's worth I've never got a response to a position request. Yes I know it works because I tested with another boat

--
http://www.tweedsworld.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Interesting, the radios I have experience with all come with "automatic" as the default response. I'm sure this is probably a brand/model specific thing, though.

We use DSC calling and position polling/pushing all the time. One thing many don't consider is that if you need to go into an unfamiliar place or cut, the dinghy can scope it out and send "bread crumbs" to follow back to the mother ship chart plotter using the position send function on a handheld so equipped.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
Old 31-12-2015, 10:33   #606

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
Interesting, the radios I have experience with all come with "automatic" as the default response. I'm sure this is probably a brand/model specific thing, though.

We use DSC calling and position polling/pushing all the time. One thing many don't consider is that if you need to go into an unfamiliar place or cut, the dinghy can scope it out and send "bread crumbs" to follow back to the mother ship chart plotter using the position send function on a handheld so equipped.

Mark
Mark, it would be awesome if you did a DSC 101 thread. There is so much technology available that we are not utilizing. If you do, can you post a link on this thread. I think, even with the off topic posts, this thread could be a good resource for another sailor who finds themselves in this same situation.
Thanks!

PS. I posted over on SN, I cannot believe I hadn't thought of it before, just assumed someone had already done it. But there is quite a peanut gallery over there so not sure if it will help.
Old 31-12-2015, 10:44   #607

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.

Many pages ago SV Genesis suggested a fund, page 34 I think.
There were one or two positive responses but by and large you lot seem reluctant to even cough up even the price of a beer to help Gil.
The screaming roar of purses bieng zipped is, to me and the odd few others, a God Almighty testimony to the quality of the "heart mean" of so, so many posters.
GENESIS's idea clearly is going down the gurgler and so, for those who could have a change of heart, on SV DAGNEY .COM there is a contributions link. Payments can be made by what seems to be a paypal thing (never bought via the internet..retail only) which ill try to get my head around.
With a few Mack Truck loads of discipline ill try to extricate myself from this CF addiction because, by and large, you lot make a mockery of the word 'compassion'.
Geniuses everywhere on CF, all with hearts of ice.
God willing ill now take my leave of 98% of you.
To those who sent me thanks...many thanks.
I should have known, the stingey foriegners wandering around Indian& Nepal are a tight asped mob too.
"ADIEU" simplified means 'I commend thee to God'...
Cant bring myself to say it.
Rewrites the book of definitions.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:53   #608
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlara 3 View Post
There were one or two positive responses but by and large you lot seem reluctant to even cough up even the price of a beer to help Gil.
The screaming roar of purses bieng zipped is, to me and the odd few others, a God Almighty testimony to the quality of the "heart mean" of so, so many posters.
GENESIS's idea clearly is going down the gurgler and so, for those who could have a change of heart, on SV DAGNEY .COM there is a contributions link. Payments can be made by what seems to be a paypal thing (never bought via the internet..retail only) which ill try to get my head around.
With a few Mack Truck loads of discipline ill try to extricate myself from this CF addiction because, by and large, you lot make a mockery of the word 'compassion'.
I should have known, the stingey foriegners wandering around Indian& Nepal are a tight asped mob too.
I think plenty of CF members would be happy to donate but as I recall, Gil
specifically said he did not want donations but might consider loans that he would pay back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:56   #609

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Quote:

You figure you are about one third horsepower.

Install a sliding seat in the cockpit, use your legs, and watch that horsepower climb!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 10:58   #610

Boat: Ohlson 29

Quote:
Many pages ago SV Genesis suggested a fund, page 34 I think. // because, by and large, you lot make a mockery of the word 'compassion'.
Geniuses everywhere on CF, all with hearts of ice. God willing ill now take my leave of 98% of you.
Wow.

Gil hasn't even asked for (financial) help, and he feels obligated to pay back every cent he receives. Before you start blaming people for not sending him any money (how do you even know? Not everybody feels the need to post what they may have given), you might consider leaving it up to Gil to decide what help he needs and wants, and how he wishes to go about it. He doesn't need unwanted help / loans any more then he needs all the off-topic and flaming posts in this topic.

This is about Gil and his boat, not about people who want to show the world how helpful or compassionate they are or people who feel the need to explain why they'll never get themselves in troubles because they are way too smart for that ...

I'm pretty sure Gil is competent and strong enough to ask for any help he may want / need himself. As things stand now, nobody knows how this will end and what funds might be needed. So let's just leave it up to Gil to handle his own problems, help when we can and are asked, and not fight over how who should help and show the world they did.

Logging off now, I have a New Years party to get to

To Gil & everybody in this thread: I hope you all have (had) a safe & gezellig New Years Eve, and may 2016 bring you many amazing days at sea and quiet anchorages where no anchors drag
Old 31-12-2015, 11:10   #611

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Mark, it would be awesome if you did a DSC 101 thread. There is so much technology available that we are not utilizing. If you do, can you post a link on this thread. I think, even with the off topic posts, this thread could be a good resource for another sailor who finds themselves in this same situation.

Thanks!

PS. I posted over on SN, I cannot believe I hadn't thought of it before, just assumed someone had already done it. But there is quite a peanut gallery over there so not sure if it will help.

I have lost my computer and am reduced to poking on an ipad, so no instruction manual from me right now!. It takes me a frustratingly long time to just get short messages out.

But I don't think that matters, as the operation of DSC functions is dependant on the specific radio. Standard Horizon, for example, has a very easy and mostly intuitive interface. Icom, on the other hand, uses Sanskrit, and is dyslexic at that. Inscrutable how to use DSC on those, and probably the main reason many are not using it.

Mark

Old 31-12-2015, 11:13   #612

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:

Intolerance is ugly. B'Bye!

A fool and his money are soon parted.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:03   #613
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by colemj View Post
In this case, they do. From the Explorer and Garmin charts: "Fair to poor holding|Anchorage|NE of marina entrance; poor holding in hard scoured bottom and unsafe in strong W wind; good holding in small sandy patches; moderate current. Moderate draft can anchor in flats along Goodwill Channel route to West End Settlement. Some wind chop and current."

Active Captain has much to say on the area also.

Mark
Actually, in the area where Gil anchored (south of the channel) AC says the holding ranges from "excellent" ("Ginn Sur Mer") to "average" ("West of West End"). The Explorer charts are silent. Since I didn't actually see the boat while it was anchored (arrived the next day), can't say for sure which of the two spots he was closer to.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 12:11   #614

Quote:
Please don't forget that many folks like to give anonymously, I have received several emails offering help, either financially, offering their vessel /plane if Dagny is spotted in their area.
The folks here at cruisers forum are one of the best set of sailors I've had the privilege to speak with.
Thank you for your concern, it is clear you care about the outcome. Please keep putting the word out to any sailor you know.
Thanks,
Erika
Old 31-12-2015, 12:12   #615

Here are some photos of Dagny.
I can only post one pic per post, sorry.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	115965