Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2015, 07:51   #586
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Gil hasn't been on for a while, maybe he is making his way back to Florida or a French colony. For those that are following this thread in order to avoid this fate for themselves, I also carry oars on board to row into a slip should the conditions be right and my axillary out. Also, one would think about getting into the dingy and rowing or using the dingy as a tow and towing the boat onto the dock.
Backup- always have backup should plan A go down the tubes.
I'm willing to contribute to get Gil back on his feet. He just needs to ask. He has not asked for a handout, just for loans.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 07:59   #587

You could probably move a sailboat with a large enough OB... Not sure how easy it would be to maneuver a yacht single handing from a dink... maybe a tow... But it seems once again if you are stuck in the vicinity of other boats or port officials... you shouldn't have to do this sort of thing alone.

I wanted to have my engine mounts replaced by a mechanic at dock side. He didn't want to work at the mooring... I suppose he needed access to the tools in his truck. The mooring was probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the town dock. I could get a commercial tow but didn't ask other boater as I was doing this project during the week and there were virtually none around to ask. I did the work on the mooring myself without the mechanic. Worked fine. Yet I have found over the years yachstmen are more than willing to lend a hand when needed.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:17   #588

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
For those that are following this thread in order to avoid this fate for themselves, I also carry oars on board to row into a slip should the conditions be right and my axillary out.
One of the better ideas I've read about on CF was to have a transom-mounted retractable bracket for the dinghy outboard, that allows the O/B to be used as an aux motor.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:30   #589

This may be a crazy thought but here goes. Gil is a skilled programmer and makes a living from this. Basically have a wi-fi connection at a port and he is at work. He is also a skilled writer and photographer. Being French, please forgive my racism, he probably also knows how to cook up a good meal.

He has also demonstrated excellent common sense in an emergency. An ability to sail single handed across the gulf stream. Spent a long time in preparation and has learned lets say, how to trim those sails. Apart from everything he has demonstrated a high level of character in not asking for hand outs but for loans. For me this speaks so very highly of his character.

So here is my suggestion for what its worth. Are the any cruisers out there who could see the benefit of having him as a free crew member. If you have a larger sailboat I in the area and you could benefit from an extra set of eyes for lookout shifts. Along with a crew member who could set up a blog and run it for you, great for staying in touch with all your friends. Being a photographer he could also be great at creating a photographic and video journal on your blog. And don't forget his probably culinary skills. He would I am sure even consider paying for his own food.

If he were able to have a roof over his head in a win win situation he keeps his dignity, keeps his dream alive, contributes tremendously as a crew and I am sure as a highly trusted friend. And he will be able to do his day job, earn money to build up savings to buy his next boat. In the end all will be well and the cruising community will retain a wonderful guy to the oceans.

Maybe my suggestion is crazy, but I for one if I had a boat in those parts would be more than happy to make this offer. What do you all think?
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:46   #590

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
This may be a crazy thought but here goes. Gil is a skilled programmer and makes a living from this. Basically have a wi-fi connection at a port and he is at work. He is also a skilled writer and photographer. Being French, please forgive my racism, he probably also knows how to cook up a good meal.

He has also demonstrated excellent common sense in an emergency. An ability to sail single handed across the gulf stream. Spent a long time in preparation and has learned lets say, how to trim those sails. Apart from everything he has demonstrated a high level of character in not asking for hand outs but for loans. For me this speaks so very highly of his character.

So here is my suggestion for what its worth. Are the any cruisers out there who could see the benefit of having him as a free crew member. If you have a larger sailboat I in the area and you could benefit from an extra set of eyes for lookout shifts. Along with a crew member who could set up a blog and run it for you, great for staying in touch with all your friends. Being a photographer he could also be great at creating a photographic and video journal on your blog. And don't forget his probably culinary skills. He would I am sure even consider paying for his own food.

If he were able to have a roof over his head in a win win situation he keeps his dignity, keeps his dream alive, contributes tremendously as a crew and I am sure as a highly trusted friend. And he will be able to do his day job, earn money to build up savings to buy his next boat. In the end all will be well and the cruising community will retain a wonderful guy to the oceans.

Maybe my suggestion is crazy, but I for one if I had a boat in those parts would be more than happy to make this offer. What do you all think?

He doesn't seem like a 'crew' kind of a guy, as he lives life on his own terms. For these kind of guys, it's better to be a captain of a 26', than crew on the Queen Mary.
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:48   #591

Boat: Pearson 34-II

" For those that are following this thread in order to avoid this fate for themselves, I also carry oars on board to row into a slip should the conditions be right and my axillary out. Also, one would think about getting into the dingy and rowing or using the dingy as a tow and towing the boat onto the dock." SVBeth

Beth,
Have you tried rowing your 40 foot, 20,000 plus pound vessel into a harbor or slip? How do you attach the oars to your vessel? Would this be possible in a reversing current or against the wind? What types of oars do you carry? Also, have you tried towing your Valiant with your dinghy while rowing? I have only done this in a dinghy with a 6 HP engine amidships and it was not easy. Can you explain how you do this? Thanks, Rognvald
Old 31-12-2015, 08:48   #592

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoingWalkabout View Post
This may be a crazy thought but ...
I think you're an incurable optimist; a well-adjusted, happy person who means and does well! Good on ya.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:57   #593
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
Gil hasn't been on for a while, maybe he is making his way back to Florida or a French colony. For those that are following this thread in order to avoid this fate for themselves, I also carry oars on board to row into a slip should the conditions be right and my axillary out. Also, one would think about getting into the dingy and rowing or using the dingy as a tow and towing the boat onto the dock.
Backup- always have backup should plan A go down the tubes.
I'm willing to contribute to get Gil back on his feet. He just needs to ask. He has not asked for a handout, just for loans.
He only had a two-stroke 2.5hp, which he sold to me. I'm not sure that would have been enough, but it seem quite small even for his boat.
sneuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:04   #594

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
One of the better ideas I've read about on CF was to have a transom-mounted retractable bracket for the dinghy outboard, that allows the O/B to be used as an aux motor.
Yeah, and a place to store the dingy OB anyway.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:18   #595

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Too bad one of us isn't a professional (gets a big paycheck) journalist for
a national public radio system, with a lot of phone numbers in his DSC on his huge and lavish yacht. This is a "breaking news" story made for media.

jes sayin
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:30   #596

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
I think you're an incurable optimist; a well-adjusted, happy person who means and does well! Good on ya.
Thanks Blue Crab. Along with a lot of other people on CF.
GoingWalkabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:35   #597

Boat: Grand Banks 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
You could probably move a sailboat with a large enough OB... Not sure how easy it would be to maneuver a yacht single handing from a dink... maybe a tow... But it seems once again if you are stuck in the vicinity of other boats or port officials... you shouldn't have to do this sort of thing alone.

I wanted to have my engine mounts replaced by a mechanic at dock side. He didn't want to work at the mooring... I suppose he needed access to the tools in his truck. The mooring was probably 1/2 to 3/4 mile from the town dock. I could get a commercial tow but didn't ask other boater as I was doing this project during the week and there were virtually none around to ask. I did the work on the mooring myself without the mechanic. Worked fine. Yet I have found over the years yachstmen are more than willing to lend a hand when needed.
===

It doesn't take much power to move a sailboat in flat water with no wind or current. I once brought a 20,000 pound, 39 footer into a dock using a small dinghy with a 2 hp outboard. The trick is to strap the dinghy amidships and set the motor for straight ahead. Steering is done from the big boat. Reverse is problematic of course so don't let it get going too fast, just enough for steerage-way. Once you have some way on it's possible to throttle back the dinghy and just let it coast.
wayne.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:44   #598
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

There are also anchor apps that will send an email if you exceed the drift radius, it also will show you your boats location on a map, all from your cell phone while you are ashore.
Requires cell coverage of course, but will tell you if your boats first starts to drag.
One I have that does that is called anchor alarm, remote monitoring is another 1 $, I think.

I'm going to have to figure this D.SC. Thing myself, any tutorials online?

I'm afraid Dagny is gone, keep hoping of course, but I'd start trying to find a way to recover from the loss.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:48   #599
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
" For those that are following this thread in order to avoid this fate for themselves, I also carry oars on board to row into a slip should the conditions be right and my axillary out. Also, one would think about getting into the dingy and rowing or using the dingy as a tow and towing the boat onto the dock." SVBeth

Beth,
Have you tried rowing your 40 foot, 20,000 plus pound vessel into a harbor or slip? How do you attach the oars to your vessel? Would this be possible in a reversing current or against the wind? What types of oars do you carry? Also, have you tried towing your Valiant with your dinghy while rowing? I have only done this in a dinghy with a 6 HP engine amidships and it was not easy. Can you explain how you do this? Thanks, Rognvald
Hi, since you asked and it will contribute to the positive educational aspects of this thread:
I use long sweeps in quiet water. Yes a 14 gross ton boat can be moved with sweeps. In an emergency these can be tied to the winches or pushpit, but I like mounts. It takes time, and you do not go against the tide or wind (much)
I once had a Catalina 27 (more of the OP boat size) which I used sweeps to get into port almost every time as it had a old outboard that would never start. 3-4 tons is alot easier to work with. I could actually row upwind (for short distances) to get through the dogleg into the marina.
You figure you are about one third horsepower. A operating dingy with outboard is much easier, although it is harder to coordinate at first. The method outlined above is a good one I have seen used a few times.
We are sailors. We listen to the waves, wind and tide and convince them to help us. We don't and it comes back to smack us in the butt. The sweeps are a backup to a backup, but they are good for a plan c. What happened here is just a mistake by a young sailor, nothing more.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 09:55   #600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
If you have your DSC radio turned on, and the other guy knows your MMSI (identification number) it is possible for them to send a query message that your radio will reply to, transmitting your lat/lon.

Almost. By default manual response is required, at least on all the sets I've played with, so the settings would have to be changed to allow automatic responses.

For what it's worth I've never got a response to a position request. Yes I know it works because I tested with another boat

--
http://www.tweedsworld.com

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote