Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-12-2015, 18:37   #406

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.
Boat: triton 721 24' x 9' 1985 Cutter rigged.
Re: Tragedy Strikes.

Many pages ago i emailled the French Consul in Nassau.
ATPIT Ive not recieved a reply.
Nor has Gil indicated that he has been in touch with the Embassy. Considering that a passport is either STOLEN or lost i was hoping that Gil would have gone to them.Because Gil had only his pants and laptop, only a gym for a bed, i expected him to be financially utterly destitute, esp as he had indicated previously that his finances were getting low.
For the record it is now opportune that i have lives 24x7 for 6 years in my 24x9ft yacht. No prizes for guessing that i am not the most well off poster on CF. Fortunately the Oz Veterans Administration are exceedingly generous and so i sure aint starving to death.
No precedents intended, not interested where people use their money...No!
But, had Gil been destitute he WOULD, BY LAW, (my country at least) been given financial assistance. Whats more they would have asked him if he knew Brian lara.
My piddling hundred bucks may have put a smile on his face but i dont need his, or anybody elses kudos.
Interestingly ive not been contacted.
If for no other reason Gil, your passport is gone and the 24 hour rule app.ies.
Kind friends have helped you there thank God but im wondering, have you reported your passport missing Gil Mon Ami?
The Embassy would be a great help Monsieur...IMHO
Hanging back, waiting &hoping.
Cheers bl
cant edit, can barel see keyboard.
brianlara 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:41   #407

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milenka View Post
Gil - Mon Amis du Mer,

A bit of Cointreau and enjoying my pipe as I follow your voyage(s). As you know, I cannot sail anymore due to health, but whether land, sea or in the air, you're doing it right by doing it at all. Most people never work to attain their early dreams, the weakest of them will resent you for it. I speak from experience on this.

A boat is like a lovely mistress, fine companion and often a defender who watches your back when you least expect it. So, the loss of a boat is something a landsman may not sufficiently understand. However, you'll likely have more than a few boats, but only one life - so, you are WISE to live it well (as you are doing).

73 de Ray ..._ ._

Ps. I can think of an amazing world sailor, excellent author and conservationist who required THREE boats before sailing began to work well for him: Bernard Moitessier.
Simply Brilliant Milenka!
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:42   #408
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I recall his first post stated the yacht went missing while he was checking in, presumably with passport and ships documents...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 18:57   #409

Location: vessel sold at LAKES ENTRANCE to a local. Currently nursing my 93 Y/o mother in Sydney. Next boat probably will be bought in the U.S.

Thanks Monte...so maybe he isnt in enought trouble to have had to contact his Embassy.
Thanks Brother, i missed it.
bl
Old 29-12-2015, 19:01   #410

YES MONTE, from the passport office he could see it.....
Seemed pretty broke, maybe those kind friends are doing a LOT more than already disclosed.
Fingers crossed....when will it stop.
Old 29-12-2015, 19:30   #411

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Charming!!!!!!!!!!
Yup , and much more charming than you.
Get a grip, you old grumpy fart.
thruska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 19:37   #412

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Yup , and much more charming than you.
Get a grip, you old grumpy fart.
With the group of cheerleaders pumping the pom-poms here it's no wonder his boat is still missing. I was going to fly out and see if I could find anything but not now. Kumbaya sessions aren't going to get it done.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 19:37   #413

Boat: Key West 2020 CC

From Chris Parkers last drift estimate posted by Ocean Girl he placed the missing boat about 27 miles due east of where I am located, Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach.

"At 5pm on Tue29, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-36N/80-59W, based on drift from wind of 15mi, in direction 350T."

My wife and I went to a beach on Amelia Island today from 11am till 3pm to enjoy the unusually warm weather.
Around 1:30 we noticed a military helicopter heading from north to South about 1 mile off the coast. A short time later we noticed a second military helicopter doing the same route but then noticed what appeared to be the first copter heading back north but they were now a few more miles off shore. They did this N to S to N track with staggered distances offshore about 3 or 4 times before we headed home.
We see a lot of SAR missions around here sometimes they are real but mostly for practice. There was also another helicopter moving N to S to N along the beach at low altitude, not sure if they were participating in the mission though. This copter appeared to have civilian markings.

I would have no problem taking my small fishing boat out 30 miles but unfortunately the seas have been and are projected to continue to be above 3-4ft for the next week or so. Here is the NOAA NWS marine forecast for my general area. It also appears as though she might be west of the GS but being pushed back in over the next few days and then the wind will turn out of the north making the GS a messy area for retrieval.
Old 29-12-2015, 19:49   #414
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
Yes, it's a little more than a day sail but luck alone won't keep you safe.
Well, I don't recall any comment on this thread suggesting that anyone depend on luck alone to be safe for any voyage. Nor does it seem that the OP had that attitude on his trip.

Trying to make a judgment based on this thread alone it does seem that Gil did a lot to prepare himself and his boat for the trip. Did he make a mistake? Probably should have been more careful in making sure the anchor was set in . Something I'll bet all of us have been guilty of at least once. Unfortunately in this case it resulted in the loss of his boat.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 19:50   #415

Thanks OutOfControl. Good to see a rational analysis here for once.
Old 29-12-2015, 19:57   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfControl View Post
From Chris Parkers last drift estimate posted by Ocean Girl he placed the missing boat about 27 miles due east of where I am located, Amelia Island/Fernandina Beach.

"At 5pm on Tue29, I now estimate Dagny might lie near 30-36N/80-59W, based on drift from wind of 15mi, in direction 350T."

My wife and I went to a beach on Amelia Island today from 11am till 3pm to enjoy the unusually warm weather.
Around 1:30 we noticed a military helicopter heading from north to South about 1 mile off the coast. A short time later we noticed a second military helicopter doing the same route but then noticed what appeared to be the first copter heading back north but they were now a few more miles off shore. They did this N to S to N track with staggered distances offshore about 3 or 4 times before we headed home.
We see a lot of SAR missions around here sometimes they are real but mostly for practice. There was also another helicopter moving N to S to N along the beach at low altitude, not sure if they were participating in the mission though. This copter appeared to have civilian markings.

I would have no problem taking my small fishing boat out 30 miles but unfortunately the seas have been and are projected to continue to be above 3-4ft for the next week or so. Here is the NOAA NWS marine forecast for my general area. It also appears as though she might be west of the GS but being pushed back in over the next few days and then the wind will turn out of the north making the GS a messy area for retrieval.
Past the 24-hour window post last sighting, it's now truly a guessing game. If it was floating north in the GS, and not stolen, there's really no strong reason to theorize (other than weather) that it actually broke free from the GS. It could very possibly be slowly heading for the Azores. Who knows? It's a shame that the critical 24-hour window came and went. If nothing else, this saga is a good lesson for single-handers heading off to sea with very limited funds. The Boy Scout motto is sometimes the best defense against Murphy's Law, especially when sailing alone at sea on a life adventure; i.e., 'Be Prepared' ($$$$).
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:08   #417

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Her estimated drift puts her about 49 miles off shore, unless I'm mistaken. But that is just a 8 hour tow or sail at 5 knots:-). We just got to spot her.
I think you're mistaken. Your plots look wonky too. Tues 29th position is about 23 NM off Fernandina Beach.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:10   #418

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Good idea of contacting the local marinas and also the idea of ferreting out any local fishing tournaments is a great idea. Not sure what the marinas would be willing to do. Maybe emailing an alert asking to post on their bulletin board..? Fishing tournaments will be easier.
Do we know if the coast guard is even putting Dagny in their rotation of announcements to Mariners? Can someone in eastern Florida, along Dagny's drift prediction, hop over to 22 and see if they are asking Mariners op to be on the look out? She is a hazard to navigation, no lights, maybe they announce her during the cautions...?
Old 29-12-2015, 20:15   #419

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Well, I don't recall any comment on this thread suggesting that anyone depend on luck alone to be safe for any voyage. Nor does it seem that the OP had that attitude on his trip.
Sorry to be a downer, but I beg to differ. As the many helpful forum members sit around the campfire here holding hands of hope, I can't stop thinking about the thought process that went into this nautical adventure. I forget the actual math, but it was something akin to setting sail with $300 total assets (sans boat and computer), $150 of which would be needed for check-in upon arrival in the Bahamas. That's not a lot of leeway, especially when factoring in basic life-sustaining things such as food and water. He stated in his blog that he was a "programmer" and a "photographer". That could work, if upon landing in the West End he had $1000 of programming work waiting (e.g., per day... as usual). However, there's no way of knowing that. In fact, the title of this thread combined with the posting here and acceptance of handouts from fellow sailors would indicate otherwise. Some folks cannot, but I surely can 'read between the lines'. Especially when English prose practice replaces an all-out gung-ho search in the first 24 hours. "Depending on luck"? Nope. I'd call it a "Wish and a prayer".

I truly hope that he is reunited with his sailboat, but a little more foresightedness ($$$) definitely would have helped.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:15   #420

Hazards to navigation are sunk after checking for people aboard and if commercial salvors are interested in retrieval. Bottom line they will sink it if found.