Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2015, 10:10   #256
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Tragedy Strikes.

There;s a company called "track trace" for shipping containers, which quotes very reasonable monthly/annual rates, but as they only mention rates for the service, I suspect they are using rather robustly built hardware and you'd have to use 'their' cubes. Not something you could toss onto a boat.

A SPOT with a larger battery pack (and since they DID listen to the advice to put in a 5v external power port, that's easy) would do the trick.

But like the old recipes for chicken soup, "First, obtain the chicken."

Certainly makes AIS or SPOT seem more like it should be there on every boat, although, like cell phones and sat phones, that makes it less like boating any more.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:19   #257

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Good luck, Gil. I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed today that this sighting is of Dagny.

I know this is probably not what you need to hear right now, but through this horrible misfortune, I am learning and thinking about some things that might help me (and probably others) in my future cruising plans. Godspeed you find the boat soon.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:19   #258

... in the Liveaboard Sailboat group on FB another drifting boat was reported in the Charleston area, spotted last night ... Dutch flag ...

Picture from Julie Emrich Fredrick

Regards,

Carsten
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	10636726_10207215721144456_4599240751070026425_o.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	115758  
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:21   #259

Boat: O'Day 28

What's yer next move, Gil?
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 10:46   #260

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

From Gil's website:

West-End Bahamas And A Possible Sighting.
Posted by Gil on 28 December, 2015 in Under Way
West-End is a peculiar place. You basically have the Old Bahama Bay Marina and resort, and the village. Customs and Immigration are in a one-desk building on the West side. The resort has a series of good looking brightly painted bungalows with luxurious rooms, one which I rented for one night at a discounted rate, thanks to the Office of Tourism. Million-dollar houses are scattered around. Luxury yachts stop by to check-in and refuel, maybe go on some fishing adventure. That world is alien to me. A few cruisers make it a pit stop as well, like Scott and his wife Noi on their Tayana 37. I spent the evening with them and slept on their boat last night. Scott happened to need a dinghy outboard motor so I sold him mine. If Dagny is found I can always buy another one later. I have received good help from the marina as well, letting me make phone calls, loaning me a bicycle and other largesses.

The village is another story. Poverty is widely apparent, with many abandoned houses, run-down buildings and many other signs that the island is having a hard time. There are no jobs available and tourists can only eat so many conch fritters. I was given a good tour by Keith Cooper and Eric Darville who rents houses and cars here. You can ask for them to anyone in West-End, it is a small community. Keith offers eco-tours on his boat, and he knows his stuff.

My second day on the island I needed medications so I header for the health clinic in the village. I never had such a thorough medical examination in my twenty two years in the United States, and for a mere thirty two dollars to boot. It turns out that I was badly dehydrated, but otherwise healthy. I did need to take my beta-blocker that day however, and they put much efforts in finding a replacement drug that afternoon. My hat is off to nurse Quant, the doctor and receptionist.

Yesterday was spent shopping in Freeport with Keith to find some clothes. Freeport reminds me of some areas of Florida. Mainly a commercial port, it does not seem widely populated. A lot of products here cost twice as much as what you would pay in the States.

I do get the clear impression that to visit the Bahamas you need to be self-sufficient, as I was with Dagny. Otherwise, you are pretty much visiting a bunch of resorts and better have a budget to accommodate the fact. Accommodations are the main issue, which a boat solves rather nicely. Anchoring out will save you a bundle, just make sure your anchor is holding…

A sailboat was presumably spotted, seemingly anchored near Memory Rock. Keith got the information from a local fisherman. There are no other details at this time, and I am not getting my hopes up. Dagny was presumably spotted way North of that point, so it seems very unlikely that the boat would have back-tracked South. It could be anyone spending the night on the Bank before continuing on. I am waiting for Keith to be back from one of his tours to go talk to the guy and ask for a description. Of course it is possible that the USCG report was wrong and Dagny could have gotten caught on the shallows around Memory Rock if her anchor was still dangling. I consider the possibility unlikely, but one can always hope. If the description of the fisherman fits, then I will hire him or someone else to go have a look this afternoon.

FacebookTwitterGoogle+StumbleUponPinterestTumblrEm ailShare

sailboat, Dagny, Bahamas, lost, adrift, West End, sighting, Memory Rock
Old 28-12-2015, 10:57   #261

As far as Tomnod, I'm thinking they will not pull the resources for an adrift vessel ( no lives aboard). But they are a small company and may give good feedback on what resources are available. I sent this idea to Glenn at SSCA as he is the recovery coordinator. Probable amount to nothing but sooner or later something is gonna stick :-).

🌻🌻🌻Thanks for all the brainstorming of how to tag, how to board, how to tow Dagny while adrift. Some really good ideas and may help not only Gil but future sailors who find themselves in this predicament.

Anyways, I don't pray a lot but I'm praying my butt off that Dagny caught her anchor over at memory rock and is safe.
Old 28-12-2015, 12:20   #262

Boat: Havsfidra 20

Hello,

False alarm on the sighting, as I expected.

Gil.
gilgsn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 12:23   #263

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Dang,

That's too bad, Gil. Maybe something can yet be worked out from the FL end of things. There are people who would really enjoy going and rescuing Dagny, it would be a fun adventure. I hope your visa for the US still has entries left on it.

Ann
Old 28-12-2015, 15:22   #264

Quote:
Originally Posted by gilgsn View Post
Hello,

False alarm on the sighting, as I expected.

Gil.
Gil, I truly hope that you recover your lost boat.

With that said, I clicked on your "possible sighting" link (which Ocean Girl reposted above), and I was somewhat surprised -- not for the first time, by the way -- that I had to scan 5 paragraphs of what appears to be a travel guide to the Bahamas, or the makings of a book or movie script, before I could find anything about the possible sighting. In the future, you could just cut and paste the pertinent info into a post here, that is, unless you wish for us to read your blog.

Moreover, and please excuse me for saying this, yet it appears that your energy is (and was) somewhat misdirected if you wish to recover your boat. I don't know if your interest is in tech work (via your computer on a sailboat), or if you are maybe more interested in being a budding writer, photographer, videographer, or a sponsored traveler. If it were MY lost boat, I'd have already contacted friends & family to secure the needed funds to do a proper search with a light aircraft (days and days ago). I personally would not be writing a travelogue about the West End.

You really should be out searching for your boat by whatever means necessary. Be proactive, if possible. Can your family or friends help you ($$$$$$$$$)?

Again, please take my words in the correct way. I hope someone (not you, I suppose now) finds your boat, returns it to you, and that you can sail away to a happy life of more writing.

Best.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 15:41   #265

Writing is cathartic, I was just saying to my hubby yesterday what a great writer he is. Sharing this time in his life is frankly very very brave and I applaud it. I know I've learned a lot from this situation and hope to use this to expand that knowledge and be more prepared as a sailor who may find themselves in just such a situation. ( hope that made sense).

Gil, Keep writing, keep putting one foot in front of the other, keep on keeping on. I know Dagny will be found, and I'm always right :-)
Old 28-12-2015, 15:51   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
Writing is cathartic, I was just saying to my hubby yesterday what a great writer he is. Sharing this time in his life is frankly very very brave and I applaud it. I know I've learned a lot from this situation and hope to use this to expand that knowledge and be more prepared as a sailor who may find themselves in just such a situation. ( hope that made sense).

Gil, Keep writing, keep putting one foot in front of the other, keep on keeping on. I know Dagny will be found, and I'm always right :-)
That's all nice and good, and I understand what you mean. However, what would you do if you lost your "home", with all your belongings? Would you write a novel, or maybe go searching for the home in a proactive manner? I'd do the latter, as there is plenty of time to try and secure a sponsor and a book deal. Your thoughts may possibly differ from mine. Have a nice day.
Old 28-12-2015, 16:01   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
However, what would you do if you lost your "home", with all your belongings? Would you write a novel, or maybe go searching for the home in a proactive manner?

How would you go about it, exactly?
WindwardPrinces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 16:15   #268

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindwardPrinces View Post
How would you go about it, exactly?
What would I do?

1) Do a search on day one, by whatever means possible, until after dark.
2) Contact family (or close friends) for needed cash (also day one).
3) Day two, continue search by boat, and also investigate hiring an aircraft.
4) Day two, three, four... continue search by aircraft until found.
5) Pull out all the stops to find my home and belongings.

What would I not do?

1) Write posts to strangers on an Internet sailing forum.
2) Write travelogues about the Bahamas, regardless of how comforting that is.
3) Waste time.
4) Give up search.

What would you do?
Old 28-12-2015, 16:18   #269

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
What would I do?

1) Do a search on day one, by whatever means possible, until after dark.
2) Contact family (or close friends) for needed cash (also day one).
3) Day two, continue search by boat, and also investigate hiring an aircraft.
4) Day two, three, four... continue search by aircraft until found.
5) Pull out all the stops to find my home and belongings.

What would I not do?

1) Write posts to strangers on an Internet sailing forum.
2) Write travelogues about the Bahamas, regardless of how comforting that is.
3) Waste time.
4) Give up search.

What would you do?
You do realize it's just $20k worth? Three days of searching by even a cheap plane, single engine Cessna 180 say, is getting close to $6k
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 16:24   #270

Boat: William Atkin Cutter

Quote:
Gil, I truly hope that you recover your lost boat.

With that said, I clicked on your "possible sighting" link (which Ocean Girl reposted above), and I was somewhat surprised -- not for the first time, by the way -- that I had to scan 5 paragraphs of what appears to be a travel guide to the Bahamas, or the makings of a book or movie script, before I could find anything about the possible sighting. In the future, you could just cut and paste the pertinent info into a post here, that is, unless you wish for us to read your blog.

Moreover, and please excuse me for saying this, yet it appears that your energy is (and was) somewhat misdirected if you wish to recover your boat. I don't know if your interest is in tech work (via your computer on a sailboat), or if you are maybe more interested in being a budding writer, photographer, videographer, or a sponsored traveler. If it were MY lost boat, I'd have already contacted friends & family to secure the needed funds to do a proper search with a light aircraft (days and days ago). I personally would not be writing a travelogue about the West End.

You really should be out searching for your boat by whatever means necessary. Be proactive, if possible. Can your family or friends help you ($$$$$$$$$)?

Again, please take my words in the correct way. I hope someone (not you, I suppose now) finds your boat, returns it to you, and that you can sail away to a happy life of more writing.

Best.
You sir are an embarrassment to humanity. This poor soul is doing any and everything within his power to recover his all. It is simply impossible to do certain things at certain times. For instance, were it not for the fact that I am 1200 miles away, I would be out searching. That is just as impossible too.
LEOCAT66 is offline   Reply With Quote