Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-01-2016, 10:49   #1

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
Toughbook CF-30 ?

I posted this on the Navigation thread but didn't get any replies, figured I may do better on here. I have a TOUGHBOOK CF-30 which was totally overhauled. Tons of Storage and Memory etc and windows 10 on it. It also has the Leadteck Navigator on it, which basically just looks like a satellite positioning system. I have a complete Furuno system radar, gps, ssb autopilot etc, but would like to use the laptop as a back up. What would be the best navigation software I could load on this computer and do I need a separate gps antenna for the laptop? Thanks
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 10:55   #2

Re: Toughbook CF-30 ?

... OpenCPN or polarView NS with a USB or Bluetooth 'GPS Mouse' (to have full redundancy).

Regards,

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 10:59   #3

Boat: 55' sloop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I posted this on the Navigation thread but didn't get any replies, figured I may do better on here. I have a TOUGHBOOK CF-30 which was totally overhauled. Tons of Storage and Memory etc and windows 10 on it. It also has the Leadteck Navigator on it, which basically just looks like a satellite positioning system. I have a complete Furuno system radar, gps, ssb autopilot etc, but would like to use the laptop as a back up. What would be the best navigation software I could load on this computer and do I need a separate gps antenna for the laptop? Thanks
I like Nobeltec timezero. Sailfast is a nice adjunct if you have a bit extra cash, and if you have a LOT extra cash… Expedition. Both superb for route planning and weather/current visualisation. Of course plenty of free programs for the latter as well. A separate usb GPS is prety cheap and makes your unit a true standalone. I use a Toughbook CF19 for the same purpose, and as my takeaboard unit when working on other boats. Like them a lot, apart from comparatively poor battery performance.
‘Structural engineering is the art of modeling materials we do not wholly understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyse as to withstand forces we cannot properly assess in such a way that the public at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance.’
Muckle Flugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2016, 11:16   #4

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I downloaded the Open CPN 4.0 last night, just for the hell of it. Is the reason the map looks like crap and there are no charts because I don't have the usb gps antenna hooked up, or do I have to download charts from a separate sight? I will def also get some other software whether it be Nobletec of Maxsea etc. So this Leadtek Navigator on the CP-30 can't be used as a GPS i guess? hmmm. I can build a boat a house, car or a race bike, but I suck with computers lol. I'll save my how to get mail from my SSB for another time lol.
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2016, 17:27   #5

Boat: Morgan 32-3

Source for charts
Interactive Catalog

inter active map where you can down load zip files for area of interest. note that there are two formats rnc (raster) and enc (digital) both work for opencpn

down load them to a folder ... open cpn has good directions in their help section.

I bought a toughbook cf31 with a built in gps receiver works well in the office. I would love to know how it works in the salt environment.
smooth_seas is offline   Reply With Quote