Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2015, 06:51   #1

Boat: Island Packet 35
Topside paints

Trying to match up a topside paint for some touch ups in the cockpit, basically repaint the entire cockpit. My Gelcoat is that bone/baige color that they don't seem to produce anymore.
I guess I could attempt to mix a darker shade beige interlux paint with a white to come close to the desired color but may end up just wasting $$.
So two questions and feedback appreciated;
Has anyone mixed Interlux topside paints together in this way with any success regarding changing the color??
Or are there marine topside paint products on the market that allow you to mix or add to a paint in attempts to match up colors to existing gel coat color?
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:19   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Topside paints

Have you looked at Pettit Easypoxy (Off White 3108) ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=easy...jG6-mvqAwbM%3A
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 07:53   #3
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Trying to match up a topside paint for some touch ups in the cockpit, basically repaint the entire cockpit. My Gelcoat is that bone/baige color that they don't seem to produce anymore.
I guess I could attempt to mix a darker shade beige interlux paint with a white to come close to the desired color but may end up just wasting $$.
So two questions and feedback appreciated;
Has anyone mixed Interlux topside paints together in this way with any success regarding changing the color??
Or are there marine topside paint products on the market that allow you to mix or add to a paint in attempts to match up colors to existing gel coat color?
Cockpit is a high wear area. I'd suggest you research color matching and regelcoating it instead of paint.

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 11:13   #4

Boat: Island Packet 35

Thanks Thomm225, just checked out that product and the
"off white 3108" looks to be a close match, may have to bite the bullet and order in a litre and try.

Minaret; I concidered gelcoat however I believe its labour intensive to gelcoat correctly using a spray gun plus mixing,thinning and applying these products is an art that takes practice. I would have to roll it on I guess, have never used this product so will have to research its application, good point though.
nicholson31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 11:32   #5

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholson31 View Post
Thanks Thomm225, just checked out that product and the
"off white 3108" looks to be a close match, may have to bite the bullet and order in a litre and try.

Minaret; I concidered gelcoat however I believe its labour intensive to gelcoat correctly using a spray gun plus mixing,thinning and applying these products is an art that takes practice. I would have to roll it on I guess, have never used this product so will have to research its application, good point though.
I painted my topside hull with it. (off white 3108) See pictures. You can compare it in the picture to the old original white of the cabin. My topsides were a sort a beige which I discovered after sanding off all the old paint.

The picture was taken on a really bright Spring day so it may appear a shade darker in real life.

A whole gallon was only $85.00 or so.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01813.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	418.4 KB
ID:	110258   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01814.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	110259  

thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2015, 21:53   #6

Boat: 1970 hinckley 38 / 1975 john alden boothbay challenger 58

easypoxy is a great product for the price, and thinned out properly and with a good rool and tip technique can look really good. however. it is not the hardest or most durable paint out there so its fairly easy to scuff through
frozenhawaiian is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint