Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2019, 11:23   #76
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75
Re: Too Old to sail?

Here're some vids from an old guy (me). Just short clips.

Hull speed inbound to Pillar Point Harbor, Half Moon Bay, CA:
Taking in sail - hove to - without an engine:
Escaping a crab pot "anchor" -- yet another use for duct tape:
Sailing into the sunset:
Pooped in Half Moon Bay - Rogue waves happen:
Do you have an anchor?:
Just cruisin' and letting "George" steer:
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 18:49   #77

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

So based on the other thread about a surplus of boats once the boomers die off it’s going to be awhile [emoji56]
Old 07-02-2019, 09:59   #78

Boat: Catalina 350

Cancelled purchase. . Boat had some damage I was not comfortable with. Moving on to different boat. I’m looking for suggestions on make model. I’ll start new thread. Wife was emotional and sad at decision but I just would never have confidence in the safety while at sea.
Fiftybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:33   #79

Boat: sabre 456 and leopard 42

My wife and I are both 67 and sailed our 45’ sailboat from New England to St. Petersburg. We were offshore the entire trip and let the weather dictate our schedule. It took us several weeks and only one overnight to round Hatteras. With a 38’ boat you likely have the option of going inside on the ICW.
sowwaninii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 06:41   #80

Boat: Schooner scow

I’m 74. My wife our dog Jake and I sailed from New Orleans to Beaufort SC then over to the Abacos over a two year period. I was 72/73 at the time. My wife was a great passenger so I effectively solo’d Most of the time including many offshore overnight runs. Our boat was a very well found Morgan 462 Ketch. Given the right boat,well equipped, and reasonable health, I see no issues in sailing/cruising at my age. I fact I found I lost 10pounds I didn’t need and gain strength in the process. Go for it young man!

PS, I had had a stroke 10 years previous.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:49   #81

Boat: Pearson Countess 44

"Too old to sail": Four words that should never be uttered aloud.

"Too unhealthy to sail" is another thing, and "too incompetent to sail" is yet another, but never too old....

A guy in the Netherlands is trying to legally change his age, reasoning that if someone can legally change his or her name and his or her sex that he should be able to legally change his age. But you won't have to change your age just to go sailing along the US east coast and the west coast of Florida.
Bill Streever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:03   #82

Boat: Lagoon 380 S2 owners version #331

I am 65 sailed across the Pacific in 2016..I could do.it.at.70 or 75 it is 100% what you think about your age..I am 40 years old in my mind. You will have no problem at your age. The hardest part about.sailing is dealing.with the stress of.sailing weather, breakdowns, and the risks if you have dealt.with that on your.first boat well than sailing makes.you.feel younger and.keeps.you.younger it.is the fountain of.youth
rickwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:05   #83

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I am 76+ and regularly singlehand my Gulfstar 41 without difficulty. It's just a matter of being in reasonably good health and not having mobility issues. My boat has roller furling on the jib, but a conventional full-batten mail. Stowing the main is the biggest problem, but not a serious one. Granted that the GS41 is no greyhound of the sea, but it handles well and is a fairly stable platform under most conditions. I do pick my weather when possible and don't haul anchor in conditions in which I would have sailed 30 years ago.

Go for it.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:19   #84

Boat: Catalina 42 Mark II 2005

Hi, the Pardeys have a book out with the title “ As long as it is fun” . Persoally, I just put my 35.5 Bristol up for sale and bought a Catalina 42 MarkII and moved aboard. I just finished installing new B&G electronics and various other upgrades. I single-hand off the California coast. I am 74. So congratulations to you and your wife for making life more exciting. What if you only thought about it and never did it. How would you feel then?
dcssteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:30   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined.

I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness. The boat that we are looking at is equipped with Roller Furling, Furling Main, electric windlass, and looks to be easily single handed if required. My wife can sail also. We have owned a smaller 27' sailboat for many years.

I see on this forum that some are selling their weather gear because they are 'hanging it up'.

Are we crazy at this age to get a sailboat and not the'Trawler' crowd?
There’s no set answer. Depends on your health and how physically active you can be.
I’ll be 69 in October, and we’ve been cruising our Crealock 34 from MD to FL to Bahamas to Dominican Republic, and now to Puerto Rico for the last 2 years and have no plans of giving up this lifestyle.
carlwk3c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:31   #86

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Cancelled purchase. . Boat had some damage I was not comfortable with. Moving on to different boat. I’m looking for suggestions on make model. I’ll start new thread. Wife was emotional and sad at decision but I just would never have confidence in the safety while at sea.
Having cruised the west coast of Florida for the past 30+ years I strongly recommend limiting your draft as much as possible. I personally would never go over 4' and every inch under 4' is a blessing. Makes cruising around here & in the Keys & Bahamas a lot more fun & a lot less stressful.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:33   #87

Boat: 34ft. Catalina 1989
Send a message via Skype™ to pdnervo

Heck your as old as you feel.... !!!!!
Old 08-02-2019, 07:35   #88

I am 76 and my wife is 69 , we left Canada 3 years ago and have sailed 7000 Mom , now in Belize. Great life style and keeps you yong and flexible
Go for it
Michael Yapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 07:35   #89

Appropriate exercise keeps us young. Sailing will help with that.

Spending time with older sailors and learning their tricks can be of value.

I have been with much older and physically handicapped in very remote parts of world and they were having the times of their lives.

The current weather tools help with keeping out of harms way so you can mitigate the extremes with proper caution.

Keeping the boat 'ship shape' will help mitigate emergency troubles at the wrong time.

Attitude is worth so much, it might be a better indication than age.

Enjoy!!
Old 08-02-2019, 08:05   #90

Boat: Tartan 3800 OC 38'

[QUOTE=Fiftybucks;2815671]Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined

I’m 73 & spent most of 2018 sailing (crewing) much of the Indian Ocean on friends who are in the 7th year of their circumnavigation. I also keep my 38’ sailboat in Mexico after sailing her to the South Pacific, back to San Francisco & back down the coast on the 2017 Baja Ha Ha Cruisers rally.
One has to be blessed w good health & take care to stay in good health but age is seldom an issue if you choose to venture out beyond the shore.
My advise is to go for it as long as such a purchase does not prevent you from returning to shore when your life or your spouse requires a more comfortable living situation.
Companera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail