Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 14:21   #16

Boat: William Atkin Cutter
Re: Too Old to sail?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
I'm 81 and still cruising full time. We don't drive the boat as hard as we used to, but still manage 3-4000 miles a year. The aches and pains will getcha on board or dirt dwelling... might as well suffer where you really wanna be!

Jim

JIM, you are dead right about that positive outlook. You can’t out run the pain on land or on the sea but actively using your bodys positive assets, while onboard, seems to work better for us at 75. Life is better on the boat.

You are quite an asset and inspiration to all of us who find ourselves getting up there.

I once had an opportunity a few years to speak to REESE PAULEY author of “The Call Of The Ancient Mariner” .Reese Pauley is now gone but anyone up in age and still sailing should read that book.

Thank You JIM !!
Old 01-02-2019, 16:23   #17

Boat: Catalina 350

Thank for all the great and interesting responses. I am re-assured that we will move forward with the purchase and soon start south. I loved the stories and the single handing as I want the same from time to time.
Fiftybucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 16:47   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a good friend who just finished a five year circumnavigation. He’s 74 and also is doing most of the renovation on his hurricane ravaged house.

I’m 59. I’m in markedly better shape now than when I moved aboard six years ago. Better flexibility (boat yoga: repairs in tight spaces), strength, stamina...-and I was in ok shape to begin with.

Living on a boat keeps you young. So long as you’re willing to live with the relative “inconveniences” that go with it, and acclimate to the activities required (walking...lots of walking ashore...lifting pulling etc.) you’ll be fine, and probably the better for it.
Old 01-02-2019, 17:07   #19

Boat: Valiant 40

I have a good friend who just finished a five year circumnavigation. He’s 74 and also is doing most of the renovation on his hurricane ravaged house.

I’m 59. I’m in markedly better shape now than when I moved aboard six years ago. Better flexibility (boat yoga: repairs in tight spaces), strength, stamina...-and I was in ok shape to begin with.

Living on a boat keeps you young. So long as you’re willing to live with the relative “inconveniences” that go with it, and acclimate to the activities required (walking...lots of walking ashore...lifting pulling etc.) you’ll be fine, and probably the better for it.
Old 02-02-2019, 00:37   #20

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined.

I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness. The boat that we are looking at is equipped with Roller Furling, Furling Main, electric windlass, and looks to be easily single handed if required. My wife can sail also. We have owned a smaller 27' sailboat for many years.

I see on this forum that some are selling their weather gear because they are 'hanging it up'.

Are we crazy at this age to get a sailboat and not the'Trawler' crowd?
MY you are certainly a youngster -- At age 68/66 we did a 2 handed Atlantic crossing - at age 71 we did a circum nav of the Black Sea - now at age 73/71 we are setting up to do a long year of sailing including another Atlantic crossing (we plan God decides) so we will be crossing at age 74/72 -- young man a lot of it is your health your attitude and your confidence
There are certain things I can no long do such as sand and paint the bottom - screws in both shoulders - and some stuff it just makes more sense to get a younger person to do

We joke when people ask stuff - we simply say wow it was a lot easier when I was 68 --

good luck
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:13   #21

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Only trying will tell. Only you will know. Are those 'hanging it up' older than you? Are they in poor health or physically incapable? Are you?

I know people in their mid-70's with no physical or health-related issues. I know someone in his early 40's in an extended stay facility in a wheelchair. Physical ability and mental capability have more to do with it than actual age.
What he said.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:14   #22

Boat: 73´ULDB custom ketch

Much too old! At least 30 years from now. The oldest cruising couple I met was 90+. Ok, they spend most of their time in ports, and had help from their kids when they moved the boat. But they liked the life, and it keeps you young.
MartinR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:15   #23

Boat: 1986 Catalina 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiftybucks View Post
Urgent as purchase is slated for Feb 28th, 2019

My wife and I are set to purchase 38 foot sailboat in Annapolis, and plan to gradually move it down the coast to West coast FL in stages of 3 individual 3-4 week intervals 3-5 times over the next 12-18 months. Eventually around to west coast of FL, where to be determined.

I'm going to be 67,and in good health, feeling the normal morning stiffness. The boat that we are looking at is equipped with Roller Furling, Furling Main, electric windlass, and looks to be easily single handed if required. My wife can sail also. We have owned a smaller 27' sailboat for many years.

I see on this forum that some are selling their weather gear because they are 'hanging it up'.

Are we crazy at this age to get a sailboat and not the'Trawler' crowd?
I am 72 and just getting started! Made my first trip from San Diego to Catalina last fall! Before I am done I plan on sailing to Hawaii and beyond!!!
ahumbug1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:19   #24

Boat: Beneteau 323

As a 72 year old I have no plans on giving up sailing -- it is right up there at the top of things to do. My first mate has slowed a bit after some illnesses, so I often either singlehand, or effectively singlehand with her aboard. My only problem is that my 102 year old mother keeps saying I am getting too old. Ha! She should talk.
tweitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:33   #25

The other consideration is the fact that the amount of physical effort needed to go sailing steadily decreases as you become more comfortable with your boat and set it up "just right". Over time, you also figure out the best way to do things and become much more efficient.
FabioC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:40   #26

Boat: Endeavourcat 30

No, you are not crazy. What would be crazy is to take a seat in God’s waiting room to wait until the day you shuffle off this mortal planet. Not having done what you wanted to do at that point would give you some last minute regrets and no opportunities to get over them. Go sailing young fellow, you will both enjoy it.
CapnBazza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:42   #27

Boat: 1988 Wilbur 34

So long as you have a good mate and are strong enough to handle the sails when a thunderstorm pops up, you likely have many years of sailing available to you. I have always most enjoyed sailing by myself so, without a mate and having developed balance issues and with two bad knees, I continued to sail until age 85 before moving to a trawler. Now at 88, though I miss the quiet of a boat under sail, I can still enjoy being on the water.
Seighlor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:42   #28

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

You old guys give me hope!

I'm 67 and plan to start cruising at 70. I've been on short cruises, raced when I was younger and lived aboard for 3 years. I just have family obligations and desires to get out of the way. But, I do plan to take a few months to go to the Bahamas a few times during my 3 year wait.
wunderluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:56   #29

At the age of 73 Jean Luc Van Den Heed has just won the Golden Globe non stop round the world yacht race beating his nearest 40 year old rival by 350 nautical miles. At one point he was pitch-poled in the southern ocean and he climbed the mast several times to make repairs. Out of 17 starters it looks like there will be only 5 who will complete the race - all younger that Jean. Several of the competitors lost or had to abandon their yachts. Go for it !!!!!
stewie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 08:59   #30

Boat: Outbound 46

I am also 67 and am confidant I have years to go before I swallow the anchor. Good friends of ours are still sailing well into their 70's.

I will say that my appetite for serious off-shore work that would require good foulies is less now than it was a few years ago. Bathing suit in the Caribbean is much more attractive to me now.
DMCantor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail