Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2010, 18:11   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Amongst my thoughts today were: you know how you'd planned to try sailing to anchor some day ... and I guess I should have checked the fuel filters like I also planned.

My tank actually does empty from the bottom so I guess it really was a case of needing to check filters. I have two filters one which is the large one before the engine and one that is part of pressure system. I'm guessing now I will need to go through the whole system and that would be a good time to decide if I need to add another filter. In any event it's time to learn to bleed the system and all that good stuff. More hanging upside down in the engine compartment

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 18:54   #17

Couple options I'm thinking about: I saw a photo of this on Pyewacket - install a dual bowl filter system with a vacuum gauge. Monitor the pressure on the vacuum gauge. When the first filter becomes clogged, switch to the second. The other option is a small day-use tank. Pump to/from the main tank through filters and you have clean fuel.
Don
Capt.Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 19:21   #18

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
hummingway

There is a fuel tank related thread going on over here that might be of interest:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post578260
Old 14-12-2010, 19:48   #19

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Congratulations, Hummingway! In reading the description of your adventure in an area I am more than passingly familiar with (albeit, many years ago), what came through to me was you kept your head, evaluated your best case alternative, next best and down the line with several back up plans. When things go bad, they usually go bad to worse to worst! The skill that you demonstrated boat handling in a narrow channel, reading the wind and the current in changing circumstances allowing yourself to avoid problems and take advantage of opportunities as they presented themselves is a testament to your ability. You might be hard on yourself in critiquing your actions but the end result should be a great confidence builder. Well Done... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 20:13   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Capt Phil. I do feel a sense of accomplishment and am really glad it happened somewhere where I knew the water fairly well.

Old 14-12-2010, 20:44   #21

Boat: Beneteau 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
On the other hand Gabriola Passage is 100 meters wide at her entrance and full of the most magical currents.

On to the next issue. I had never sailed to anchor or a mooring ring. With only my headsail up and the winds so light I was moving slowly. I decide to try for my mooring bouy. I turned on power to the anchor windlass, got a line ready for the bouy and extended the boat hook and then got busy working the sail and wheel.
Great story! I especially enjoyed the "magical" currents quote above. I also liked the fact that after getting back to home waters you decided to go for it and try to pick up the mooring buoy by yourself, sails only, first time, never been done before. Nice! I've left a mooring buoy with no motor, but never tried picking one up! I think I would have taken the easy way out and anchored for a bit, but I admire your gusto!

Frank
GeoPowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2010, 21:10   #22

Boat: Tayana 37
Glad it all worked out Hummingway, must admit his scares me a bit facing the same waters in something besides my stinkpot.
Old 14-12-2010, 21:15   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
I think I would have taken the easy way out and anchored for a bit, but I admire your gusto!

Frank
If it was summer when it's a bunch more crowded in the bay I definately would have dropped the anchor as soon as I was over good ground instead of aiming for the bouy but had I released the sheet a little earlier the bouy would have been alright.

Old 14-12-2010, 21:18   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefuss View Post
Glad it all worked out Hummingway, must admit his scares me a bit facing the same waters in something besides my stinkpot.
I was glad to have the sails so I could try for a little control. Now two motors might have been nice :-)

Old 15-12-2010, 14:17   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Well done Sir! Let us know how the tale finished (the engine) after you clean your drawers!
Indeed!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 14:43   #26
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Quote:
I was glad to have the sails so I could try for a little control. Now two motors might have been nice :-)
If I may.... Don't give up on the Sail/boat handling/mooring/anchoring practice Hummingway... it'll save you more often than your mechanic's.. I take every opportunity to 'not use an engine'..
I had to sail my Hunter 37 (2004) off the anchor in Taylors Creek, Beaufort.. up the ICW to Oriental and into the creek and tie up alongside at SailCraft B/yard, Oriental due to a bent prop shaft and bracket... touch and go but well worth it...
I was broke and they knew me so I felt I'd be trusted to 'make good'... I knew no one in Beaufort.... turned out a good decision...
Alan (the owner) supervised my work and put me right on things I was unsure about... and did'nt chain up my boat till the liftout/launch/berth bill was paid

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 15:51   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
If I may.... Don't give up on the Sail/boat handling/mooring/anchoring practice Hummingway... it'll save you more often than your mechanic's.. I take every opportunity to 'not use an engine'..
I had to sail my Hunter 37 (2004) off the anchor in Taylors Creek, Beaufort.. up the ICW to Oriental and into the creek and tie up alongside at SailCraft B/yard, Oriental due to a bent prop shaft and bracket... touch and go but well worth it...
I was broke and they knew me so I felt I'd be trusted to 'make good'... I knew no one in Beaufort.... turned out a good decision...
Alan (the owner) supervised my work and put me right on things I was unsure about... and did'nt chain up my boat till the liftout/launch/berth bill was paid
You certainly may ... I was thinking that where I am, because of the currents, practicing with the motor on but not engaged would be one possibility. BC has more then its share of passages where a motor failure would be challenging.

Old 15-12-2010, 16:09   #28

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
You are dead right, Hummingway. i was faced with a similar problem in Welcome Pass years ago and entered Secret Cove under full sail in westerly, doused the head sail after heading towards the far end of the cove and kept the main full all the way down dodging around others in the anchorage. Set the anchor up for a quick deploy as I got the head sail under control and raced back to the cockpit in time to round up, let the mainsheet go, began a serious luff and dropped the anchor just as I came to a halt and began to pay out anchor rode. Boat stopped on a dime right where I planned but if I hadn't got a good hold on the first anchor deployment, I was screwed and would have been on the gravel beach at the end of the cove. Exciting, yes... risky, yes... but it was a confidence builder for me! At the time my boat was an Ingrid 38 and singlehanding to a job up in Jervis Inlet. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2010, 16:30   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Everybody watching probably thought you were showing off

It's funny to think that not that long ago no-one had a motor. Capt Vancouver and entourage did Johnstone Strait without a motor. I believe he did have an "oh crap" moment or two though.

Old 15-12-2010, 17:57   #30

Quote:
It's funny to think that not that long ago no-one had a motor. Capt Vancouver and entourage did Johnstone Strait without a motor.
Yes, it was only 5 minutes ago (ok, a few decades) when a motor was always referred to as an 'auxilliary engine'; these days maybe the sail is often the auxilliary.
Wand is offline   Reply With Quote