Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 21-10-2010, 14:29   #31

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
On a blue water cruiser and especially a smaller one, you need the safety of being able to furl the headsail in big seas and winds. Going out on deck to wrestle yard of canvas and then try to stuff them down an open hatchway while water is coming over the bow is not conducive to your or your boat's longevity.
- - The other sails if they are still in good shape can have luff tape sewed on to fit the furler. You can even do it yourself if you have good sail sewing machine.
See: Sunbrella Fabrics, Sailcloth, Canvas and Sail Hardware, Gill Foul Weather Gear and More!
Agree 100%!!! At the end of March, beginning of April this year, coming from Wales and heading for Lowestoft on our 40' Jeanneau, we were hammered by a force 9 cyclonic in the Irish Sea that came out of nowhere. It came up so fast that my weatherfax and the coast guard did not issue warnings until about an hour after we were hit. Had it not been for the roller furling jib, we would not have been able to get the jib furled in because there was no possibility of going that far forward in those conditions. Since it was cyclonic and spinning all around us with totally unpredictable direction changes, we had to get the main down and run on the engine and my son and I fought that main for a good 15 minutes before we were able to get her all the way down. We ran on the engine for 36 hours in some of the worst seas I have ever seen in more than 50 years of sailing all over the world and although I was not 100% convinced before, I'm happy to tell you that I would not trade my roller reefing Jib for anything. If anyone wants to tell me that the imperfect sail shape compromises speed, I'm happy to tell them that my boat is pretty darned fast for a cruiser and "Oh by the way" in the first few minutes of that night in the Irish Sea, that ability to roll her in from the cockpit may well have saved our lives.
I love speed, but I love safety even more.....

James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 15:50   #32
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Fareast, Mariner 40'
Originally Posted by Dame.n.Jess View Post

The other factor I forgot to mention is we have removed the inboard for my wife's health reasons and will be relying on sails to get us places, thus I am hesitant to do anything that will effect sailing performance and start me off behind the eight ball.
I hope this isn't too far off topic, but you could get an electric inboard or even a trolling motor since it is a 28'. That way you would have the ability to maneuver in close quarters in an emergency and sails wouldn't be quite as big a deal.
Personally I like fullers, allows you to more flexibility and timing isn't as critical when the weather is deteriorating. But I don't have a lot of experience.

Godspeed, as you travel the wave-road.
Ben M-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2010, 17:07   #33
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Agree 100%!!! At the end of March, beginning of April this year, coming from Wales and heading for Lowestoft on our 40' Jeanneau, we were hammered by a force 9 cyclonic in the Irish Sea that came out of
Good god man, according to some, your hull would have twisted, your keel and rudder should have fallen off and youd all be killed, dont you know youre only supposed to go out in a valient. Of course silly me, of course youre only "coastal " cruising where off course nothing nasty occurs, that might challange there're useless preconceptions...

PS: Well done by the way, nasty piece of water, the irish sea, got a beating there myself some years ago.

goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2010, 08:29   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
Force 9 is what we have for breakfast down here in the Southern Ocean ...

barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2010, 17:10   #35

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel
I used to do auditing for the New Zealand Government and we we spend 4-6 weeks at a time in the southern ocean halfway between Antarctica and New Zealand. we once had 36 hours of 90knots + and 11m seas (on top of the prevailing swells). I wasnt 100% sure the boat would survive (66m steel trawler).

Admittedly I dont plan to be chasing this type of water again (not for a while anyway) but I do understand very well how wind and seas can just appear!
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2010, 18:20   #36

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41
I agree with most of comments. When you are short-handed (man and woman), man being fore-deck crew, 50% of time you have wrong sail up and this can change 2-3 times in one day. You will expend a lot of energy wrestling sails. Something else I dont see mentioned above, on a small boat you take up cabin space storing multiple sails. Also try pulling up a muddy anchor and rode while your hank on is bundled up on fore deck, bad idea.

dakno is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: