Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-05-2010, 16:51   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Microship View Post
Jim - ah, that's for sure. I consider a major waypoint in any project to be the moment, observed in retrospect, where the list begins to get shorter instead of longer.

Speaking of discovered rules about that nature of large projects, I formulated another during my years of bicycle travel (though it is equally applicable to boats). It's the Roberts Law of Applied Mobile Gizmology:

If you take an infinite number of very light things and put them together, they become infinitely heavy.

Steve
And "ALSO"as objects work their way to the bottom of the "panniers" without being used, they somehow find themselves along side the hi-way for someone else to use..
Unless that is, the objects are uppon a grade while climbing, and then they are only gazed uppon by passers by..

Old 10-05-2010, 17:13   #17

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
I have listed, re-listed , thrown away and restarted so many list in the past 2 years, I have given up on lists.....Im so far behind the curve I only have one thing on my list anymore.

1) Get boat in water, go sailing.

The rest will sort itself out over burgers & beers.......eventually

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 17:40   #18

Boat: Vic Franck Delta 50
Stillraining... so... you are feeling listless?

Randy... a friend of mine was so bemused by my bicycle-borne tonnage that he told me he'd park at the bottom of the first big hill, wait for me to pass, then follow to pick up all the gizmilogy I decided I didn't need after all...
Old 10-05-2010, 17:44   #19

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
For my boat, it is a to-do-continuum.

If it were a list, I would eventually get to the end.

If I were at the end of the list, that would mean that the boat would be perfect.

The boat will never be perfect.

So it's a continuum.
Old 10-05-2010, 19:20   #20

To-do continuum! I love it. That's very true, and accepting it reduces some of the frustration...
Old 10-05-2010, 20:14   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
True confessions: my most pathological behavior occurs when I do something that's NOT on the list... then add it and cross it off. I've even been known to switch pens.
And I thought that was just my secret...
Old 11-05-2010, 07:28   #22

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
uhhh ohhh-look out

I finished the list and had this real weird feeling....I now realize it was the onset of unplanned pathological behavior. I have an uncontrollable desire to leave the dock.. no destination just barging around.. Consider this a notice to mariners.

Todd
Old 11-05-2010, 08:04   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Who knows what lurks in the mind

I've been storing my list mentally. I know what you're thinking but it has its advantages. She I'll finish something, stand up straight (of course I was cramped in some inconceivable pretzal shape) and I'll go "I must be close to being almost done", I'll have a cold beer while whistling some pleasant tune feeling extremely good about myself. About the end of the beer I'll suddenly remember half dozen items awaiting my attention and get back to work. Another day I'll get up in the morning thinking, "I really getting close to having everything done, I think I'll go fishing (or sailing)". When I get back thast evening I'll realize I still have several things I should do ... tomorrow. The advantage of this system is it increases my, beer * fishing * sailing / chore ratio. By now you can probably imagine that it is unlikely to take me any longer to get out cruising using this method seeing as I usually remember some forgotten chore around about the time I'm gazing across some peaceful anchorage, feet up and beer in hand. To quote Kurt Konnegut, "Hi ho."

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 14:58   #24

IdoraKeeper... I stand humbled, in quiet awe. You finished the list? <genuflect> I'm not worthy. </genuflect>

As to the list... I have a little tale.

Quote:
During the BEHEMOTH era in 1990, I spent a very interesting afternoon at Trimble Navigation, sponsors of the bike’s GPS. These weren’t colorful, user-friendly handhelds wrapped around off-the-shelf chipsets back then; they were extremely complex DSP engines coupled with RF hybrid black magic that pushed just about every envelope in the book. I remember being captivated by a massive floor-to-ceiling PERT chart, spanning an entire hallway, the completed boxes bright yellow, the web of interconnections revealing Deep Understanding of the design process and accurate predictions of every step remaining. “I should do this for the bike,” I mused to my host. “It looks like a great tool.”

“Nah,” he replied. “Project management tools assign resources to tasks. You work alone. Just do something.”
(This is from my essay on gonzo engineering if you want more twisted geek philosophizing...)

Back to an afternoon of Yak Shaving... chasing one task after another, each a necessary distraction from the previous one that leaves me ever further from the mission itself. You know the syndrome: you're installing an Isotemp water heater and discover that the fitting is BSP instead of NPT, so you go online to research adapter alternatives but discover that your on-board router is not serving DHCP, so you try to power-cycle it and clumsily break the dinky connector while reaching around a bulkhead, so you steal another coaxial power connector from a stray wall-wart and then discover that you left your soldering iron on your friend's boat, so you head over there and twist your ankle jumping to the dock.... etcetera.

The maddening thing about Yak Shaving is that NONE of it was on the to-do list except the original task, which is now the furthest thing from your mind.

Steve
Old 11-05-2010, 17:32   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Quote:
The maddening thing about Yak Shaving is that NONE of it was on the to-do list except the original task, which is now the furthest thing from your mind.

Steve

Eg Farkin' zactly!

Plus I have another way to take things off the list.

Cross them off without doing them.

As in "Nah, that's ok for now". "It's strong enough the way it is". "That coating will last well enough". "I will probably break something trying that that will make it worse." ETC..............
Old 11-05-2010, 17:42   #26

Boat: Compass 47
I erased my whole list last week because it was causing too much stress. Now i am free to just potter about, and things seem to get done.
Old 11-05-2010, 19:30   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
"I will probably break something trying that that will make it worse." ETC..............
LOL If applied that one I'd never have to do a single chore. I could also apply it to my sailing but that would be counterproductive.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 20:26   #28

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
IdoraKeeper... I stand humbled, in quiet awe. You finished the list? <genuflect> I'm not worthy. </genuflect>

As to the list... I have a little tale.

(This is from my essay on gonzo engineering if you want more twisted geek philosophizing...)

Back to an afternoon of Yak Shaving... chasing one task after another, each a necessary distraction from the previous one that leaves me ever further from the mission itself. You know the syndrome: you're installing an Isotemp water heater and discover that the fitting is BSP instead of NPT, so you go online to research adapter alternatives but discover that your on-board router is not serving DHCP, so you try to power-cycle it and clumsily break the dinky connector while reaching around a bulkhead, so you steal another coaxial power connector from a stray wall-wart and then discover that you left your soldering iron on your friend's boat, so you head over there and twist your ankle jumping to the dock.... etcetera.

Steve
This would be hilarious if it wasn't all so very true...

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-05-2010, 05:47   #29
********* Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
As all of us have, a "to do list" on the boat and as one thing is scratched off, uasally another is added..
Over the weekend I was looking at the list and to my surprise, the wife had added in an entry....
On the bottom of the list, in big bold marker was written,
"GO TO AUSTRIALA"
Looks Like We have a Plan!
Is this a dream you share, or was this just her instruction to you after a bad weekend?

SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
funny

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: