Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2016, 19:55   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 57
Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

I'm planning for a new addition and am looking for a slip on the north side of Tampa Bay in Florida.

I'm not finding many ads so obviously this is not the way to do it.

Its a 30' boat and draws 4'6"

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
__________________

Rugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 20:09   #2
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 14,227
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Lots of private slips are listed on Craigslist. If you want to search for slips at marinas activecaptain.com has a pretty complete listing. You can load their map page and search by different areas.
__________________

__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 06:16   #3
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,476
Images: 6
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Ditto. There are a number of listings on craigslist. There are lots and LOTS of marinas in this area. There are empty docks everywhere you go, and I know at least one person who found a place to keep their boat just by driving around and ringing doorbells where he saw an empty dock.

I have to wonder if you need to broaden the area that you are looking in, and/or try a different way of searching.

I will wish you good luck, but I honestly don't think it takes any luck at all to find dock space in the Tampa area.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 06:24   #4
Registered User
 
AnsleyS's Avatar

Join Date: May 2007
Location: Maine
Boat: Nicholson 39' ketch
Posts: 142
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Try google maps. You can look at a geographic area in earth mode, zoom in to see the marinas, click on the identifier of one and it usually links to the website of the marina. Call or click, talk to the marina directly.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
AnsleyS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 06:37   #5
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 14,227
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

The only limitation in most private and some marina slips will be restrictions on liveaboards. If that's not an issue for you it opens a lot more options.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 09:54   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,126
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Ditto. There are a number of listings on craigslist. There are lots and LOTS of marinas in this area. There are empty docks everywhere you go, and I know at least one person who found a place to keep their boat just by driving around and ringing doorbells where he saw an empty dock.

I have to wonder if you need to broaden the area that you are looking in, and/or try a different way of searching.

I will wish you good luck, but I honestly don't think it takes any luck at all to find dock space in the Tampa area.
Might not be a good idea to just go around ringing door bells in southern Florida. Bad for the health.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 10:34   #7
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 14,227
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Might not be a good idea to just go around ringing door bells in southern Florida. Bad for the health.
From ringing doorbells? I don't think so. Maybe if you do it at 2:00 am but ringing a doorbell in the middle of the day, not even in Miami (which is actually southern Florida).
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 11:20   #8
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,476
Images: 6
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Might not be a good idea to just go around ringing door bells in southern Florida. Bad for the health.
I guess you forgot to add the smilie. You have to be joking. Either that, or you are being quite ridiculously paranoid.

(My fear is that, without the smilie, people may actually believe that there is some real reason to be afraid. Of course, there isn't.)
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 12:16   #9
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,126
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I guess you forgot to add the smilie. You have to be joking. Either that, or you are being quite ridiculously paranoid.

(My fear is that, without the smilie, people may actually believe that there is some real reason to be afraid. Of course, there isn't.)
Given the number of folks who have been shot, held at gunpoint, or otherwise threatened for ringing doorbells in Florida, nope, not in jest. If you have doubts, go google "person shot while ringing doorbell, florida". Evidently quite the sport down there.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:01   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 14,227
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Given the number of folks who have been shot, held at gunpoint, or otherwise threatened for ringing doorbells in Florida, nope, not in jest. If you have doubts, go google "person shot while ringing doorbell, florida". Evidently quite the sport down there.
And they all happened in the middle of the night. Not one was in broad daylight. I wouldn't shoot anyone but I'd be a little weirded out if someone started banging on my door at 1:00 in the morning.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.

Sometimes it's necessary to state the obvious for the benefit of the oblivious.

Rust is the poor man's Loctite.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:11   #11
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 156
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

I definitely would shoot the door bell ringer if they behaved like this....

After all, it is Florida...
EzzyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 20:21   #12
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Franklin, Ohio
Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Posts: 980
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Activecaptain, cruising guide.com, marinas.com, cruisers forum- various forums. Internet is great.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:26   #13
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 4,476
Images: 6
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Wow. So it wasn't a joke. It really was just ridiculous paranoia.

I actually did the google search and, like Skipmac said, not a single one that involved someone politely knocking on the door during daylight hours. Not. Even. One. (Never mind the fact that about 80% of the hits were related to one, single incident.)

So, Rugger, ignore the nonsense and find yourself a dock. And if that involves knocking on doors (during reasonable hours, of course), don't worry about it in the least.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:36   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,126
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wow. So it wasn't a joke. It really was just ridiculous paranoia.

I actually did the google search and, like Skipmac said, not a single one that involved someone politely knocking on the door during daylight hours. Not. Even. One. (Never mind the fact that about 80% of the hits were related to one, single incident.)

So, Rugger, ignore the nonsense and find yourself a dock. And if that involves knocking on doors (during reasonable hours, of course), don't worry about it in the least.
But be sure to wear a kevlar vest when you do go door to door.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 06:46   #15
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Franklin, Ohio
Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Posts: 980
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wow. So it wasn't a joke. It really was just ridiculous paranoia.

I actually did the google search and, like Skipmac said, not a single one that involved someone politely knocking on the door during daylight hours. Not. Even. One. (Never mind the fact that about 80% of the hits were related to one, single incident.)

So, Rugger, ignore the nonsense and find yourself a dock. And if that involves knocking on doors (during reasonable hours, of course), don't worry about it in the least.
Exactly, as if there already is not enough paranoia in the world!
__________________

captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pensacola Bay to Tampa Bay - Anyone leaving soon? kevins Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 13-11-2013 10:07
Backing into a slip - tips, tricks, recommendations? Hermanns Seamanship & Boat Handling 48 26-03-2013 08:41
tampa bay area divers wanted salty_dog_68 Crew Archives 7 26-08-2006 02:17
Need Help Finding A Winter Slip in NYC area.. ssullivan Marinas 3 09-08-2006 19:24
Red Tide Tampa Bay area thegun Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 11-10-2005 12:50

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:55.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.