Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2016, 09:58   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
FSMike's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Bahamas/Florida
Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran
Posts: 2,654
Images: 5
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
But be sure to wear a kevlar vest when you do go door to door.
What part of Florida do you live in that has this type of behavior?
__________________

__________________
Sail Fast Live Slow
FSMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 09:59   #17
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMike View Post
What part of Florida do you live in that has this type of behavior?
Got a cottage in Naples, does that count?
__________________

__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:21   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Wow. So it wasn't a joke. It really was just ridiculous paranoia.

I actually did the google search and, like Skipmac said, not a single one that involved someone politely knocking on the door during daylight hours. Not. Even. One. (Never mind the fact that about 80% of the hits were related to one, single incident.)

So, Rugger, ignore the nonsense and find yourself a dock. And if that involves knocking on doors (during reasonable hours, of course), don't worry about it in the least.
Gee, you do not look far. Try here: 'This guy was a time bomb': Man shoots dead door-to-door lobster salesman 'execution-style' seven years after pulling gun on female meter reader | Daily Mail Online

Happens all the time in Florida. Knock, knock, bam!! End of knock.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:22   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
skipmac's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 29 49.16 N 82 25.82 W
Boat: Pearson 422
Posts: 12,374
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Got a cottage in Naples, does that count?
If that's how things work where you live I just have to wonder how the USPO, FedEx, UPS and people like that knock on hundreds of doors every day and so far managed to keep their death rates to zero.
__________________
The water is always bluer on the other side of the ocean.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 10:45   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
If that's how things work where you live I just have to wonder how the USPO, FedEx, UPS and people like that knock on hundreds of doors every day and so far managed to keep their death rates to zero.
If you look at a recent reply i made, even meter readers get assaulted by armed homeowners during the day. Also why the delivery guys usually honk their horns in rough neighborhoods, so folks will not shoot first and open door later.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 11:06   #21
Registered User
 
denverd0n's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,949
Images: 6
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Happens all the time in Florida. Knock, knock, bam!! End of knock.
This is just getting idiotic. Even if you can find a couple of examples, it most certainly does not happen "all the time." If it did you wouldn't be posting a link to a four year old incident.

Believe what you want. Live in paranoid fear if you like. I'm not going to waste anymore time pointing out how completely stupid your postings about this are.
__________________
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 12:26   #22
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
This is just getting idiotic. Even if you can find a couple of examples, it most certainly does not happen "all the time." If it did you wouldn't be posting a link to a four year old incident.

Believe what you want. Live in paranoid fear if you like. I'm not going to waste anymore time pointing out how completely stupid your postings about this are.
Do not get me wrong. Folks in Florida are too well armed to live in fear. Its actually become somewhat of a sport since "Stand Your Ground" was enacted into law. Just it seemed rather cruel to tell someone to go door to door and thus into harm's way without informing him of the risks he takes.

Kind of like the fellow who directed two young Brits to go to a certain neighborhood to get drugs. They got death instead. Florida: Land of the Lunatics.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 13:51   #23
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
This happened in 2012.

Unless you have several, let me repeat SEVERAL, more links then by my definition it does not happen all the time.

I am calling BS on you.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2016, 15:24   #24
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,105
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
This happened in 2012.

Unless you have several, let me repeat SEVERAL, more links then by my definition it does not happen all the time.

I am calling BS on you.
Happens all the time. Most folks do not report it because they are the ones shot dead. And, no, I am not going to do your homework for you. Gave you two; maybe you should visit Florida sometime. Its where the southern drug gangs bump up against the white supremacists and the loonies from California who come to Florida to hid their assets.
__________________
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 10:52   #25
Registered User
 
tomfl's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Florida
Boat: Seawind 1000xl
Posts: 1,959
Images: 10
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Happens all the time. Most folks do not report it because they are the ones shot dead. And, no, I am not going to do your homework for you. Gave you two; maybe you should visit Florida sometime. Its where the southern drug gangs bump up against the white supremacists and the loonies from California who come to Florida to hid their assets.
So you have no links and are just posting more insults.

I live in Florida and have since 1954. But I do keep up with the news and suggest you do a google search on Chicago gun deaths for the winner of the deaths by guns contest; not to mention the most corrupt city in the US.
__________________
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:10   #26
Registered User
 
sanibel sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sanibel FL
Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Posts: 977
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
If you look at a recent reply i made, even meter readers get assaulted by armed homeowners during the day. Also why the delivery guys usually honk their horns in rough neighborhoods, so folks will not shoot first and open door later.
"rough neighborhood" and Florida waterfront homes are not exactly mutually exclusive, but close.
__________________
John Churchill Sanibel FL
NURDLE, 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:14   #27
Registered User
 
sanibel sailor's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Sanibel FL
Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
Posts: 977
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

My advice, go door to door, but just bring a gun, preferable one with a high capacity magazine, in order to defend yourself. It seems that getting shot at is a near certainty.
__________________
John Churchill Sanibel FL
NURDLE, 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2016, 11:32   #28
Registered User
 
pesarsten's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: St Pete
Boat: Sabre 34
Posts: 461
Re: Tips for finding a slip in Tampa Bay

And please go to Reed 's house, have your weapon ready! Or perhaps he will get rid of his cottage and move back to northern North Dakota where he can be happy, and not post any more garbage!
__________________

__________________
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. Edmund Burke
pesarsten is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pensacola Bay to Tampa Bay - Anyone leaving soon? kevins Atlantic & the Caribbean 0 13-11-2013 10:07
Backing into a slip - tips, tricks, recommendations? Hermanns Seamanship & Boat Handling 48 26-03-2013 08:41
tampa bay area divers wanted salty_dog_68 Crew Archives 7 26-08-2006 02:17
Need Help Finding A Winter Slip in NYC area.. ssullivan Marinas 3 09-08-2006 19:24
Red Tide Tampa Bay area thegun Atlantic & the Caribbean 2 11-10-2005 12:50



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:24.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.