Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2014, 05:44   #1

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'
Tipping Line Handlers

We've had our Hunter 460 since July and am curious re: tipping line handlers or deck hands in the marina.

Do you always tip? Never tip? In your own marina or only when visting other marinas?

What would be considered a normal amount? $5.00? what if there are two guys/gals yanking on the lines?

Many thanks for any insights!
Old 30-09-2014, 06:01   #2

Boat: 07 Leopard 40 / 93 Hunter 30T
Re: Tipping Line Handlers

Yes I tip line handlers and dock hands who actually help secure the boat not those who show up after the vessel is secure. Typically $5.00
Old 30-09-2014, 06:10   #3
cruiser

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades

ShaktisBoy yep, that's about what we do as well. Sometimes we'll give more if they are extra good at their jobs (i.e. they keep me from having to scramble around throwing lines and jumping onto docks, etc).
Old 30-09-2014, 06:14   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

It is third thread in last few days about tipping...
Looks it is a serious cruising problem...
Old 30-09-2014, 06:25   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
No, on this I agree, if the winds/ currents are bad and I ask for help, I'll gladly pay for their services, now if they just walk over un-asked and watch, no I don't pay.
When I first got my boat, I asked and paid for help with lines docking, once I got used to what I was doing, we don't ask for help anymore
Old 30-09-2014, 06:33   #6

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Maybe I live in the wrong end of the world. Here in the Baltic, people on neighboring boats typically get off their boat and walk over to take your line as you come in.

I always help incoming boats.

Don't all cruisers?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
Old 30-09-2014, 06:34   #7

Boat: Hunter 460, 46'

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
No, on this I agree, if the winds/ currents are bad and I ask for help, I'll gladly pay for their services, now if they just walk over un-asked and watch, no I don't pay.
When I first got my boat, I asked and paid for help with lines docking, once I got used to what I was doing, we don't ask for help anymore
Good stuff! It was just me and the wife on Sunday, motoring back in a dead calm. Right as we got into the marina, winds kicked up to about 8 kts and we usually back our 460 into a tight berth (pretty much parallel parking). I didn't want her to jump on the dock, I'd rather have her pushing off against the pylons when needed. A couple of guys from the marina were there to catch lines and hold the stern close while I tried to get the bow to swing into the wind. They were a big help.
Old 30-09-2014, 06:35   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Indeed. It's a multi-faceted problem with variables including class and income that if discussed honestly and openly would unleash a firestorm of disagreements. A focal point of disagreement will be different perceptions of what's fair and the tendency of some to be overly 'generous', which drives expectations by the so-called line handlers for bigger tips upward for everyone else.

Quite frankly, if you imagine which boat owners could possibly need 'line handlers' to help, they're not going to be sailors like me who owns a 27' boat easily tied by none other than myself.

The same scenario drives costs higher throughoutt the cruising environment for most things.
Old 30-09-2014, 06:41   #9

Boat: Camano Troll

We usually tip $5.00 for docking assistance. At out own marina, if we are on the boat or dock we will often go to help someone else coming in or going out but we back off if the dockhands show up. We don't want to get in the way of their tips.

I often wonder why so many people resist tipping a guy or gal who runs down the dock in the rain and catches your lines and protects your $150K boat but then tips a waitress or waiter 20% of the cost of a meal for bringing them food someone else cooked.
Old 30-09-2014, 07:42   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Maybe I live in the wrong end of the world. Here in the Baltic, people on neighboring boats typically get off their boat and walk over to take your line as you come in.

Don't all cruisers?
I'll usually show up and ask if they want help, usually the answer is no, and now that we know a little more about what we are doing. I have found out that a well meaning helper can often cause more problems than they prevent, but I do always thank them at least.
Lending a hand docking is a good way to meet people.
Old 30-09-2014, 09:21   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:

Don't all cruisers?

Yes! All real cruisers do!!

Why the hell do people tip someone for doing their bloody job?

If they did something extroadinry outside the perameters of their job I might tip but as a day in day out occurence when you are paying the marina to do the service then you pay them again! Why?

mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 30-09-2014, 09:50   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:

Don't all cruisers?
That is the habit here in Canada. The States are far more legalistic; if I tripped and fell on the dock on the way to help a cruiser by taking a line there, maybe I would feel entitled to sue the cruiser!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
Old 30-09-2014, 10:21   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
That is the habit here in Canada. The States are far more legalistic; if I tripped and fell on the dock on the way to help a cruiser by taking a line there, maybe I would feel entitled to sue the cruiser!
Well, you should be surprised to know then, American boaters assist one another all the time without fear of being sued. But, since you mentioned it some folks in Lake Charles, Lousiana refused my request they help me recover a boat adrift and close to being damaged against a jetty. Their excuse was they could be held liable if something went wrong with the effort. So, I managed the recovery by myself.

Over all though the good folks outnumber those who turn a blind eye for fear of being sued.
Old 30-09-2014, 10:23   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

If they did something extroadinry outside the perameters of their job I might tip but as a day in day out occurence when you are paying the marina to do the service then you pay them again! Why?

mark
Old 30-09-2014, 10:57   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

mark
In my case it was because I was asking the person who manned the fuel dock to walk a couple of hundred yards to help me, plus to be honest I wanted him to always find an excuse to come over and help me as he was going to get some extra money, if he got nothing, well it's just the reverse isn't it, he would maybe find an excuse why he couldn't come over.

I'll tip if I'm asking someone to do something not in their job, something that I'm asking for extra effort, but the tip thing has gotten out of hand, many places where you stand in line to order food and when it's ready your expected to get up and go get it now have a tip jar and if you pay by credit card, there is a blank spot for you to include a tip. Now the way I feel is if I sat down and they came and got the order and delivered the food to me while others waited, then hey they deserve a tip as they went out of their way and did something above and beyond, but just doing the min? No way.
Closed Thread