Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 10:22   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Tipping Line Handlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I am fortunate to have been a youngster growing up in America at a time when National and State parks were uncrowded and free of 'fees'. I recall my parents deciding out loud whether service received warranted leaving a tip and how much. In those days 10% was the standard, but still there was no obligation to tip. Nowadays, part-time employment and schemes that relieve employers of any requirement to pay a fair wage - in the U.S. measured against so-called federal and state minimum wages, which is a joke - serve business owners and the wealthy very well.

Claiming the change from a standard that left whether or not a tip was warranted up to whoever received service to a requirement including a tip amount in the bill has nothing to do with 'customary' practices. It's just another kind of tax burden placed upon customers, intended to lighten the load on employers and the rich. Excuses them from having to pay a living wage in a country where the chasm between the rich and poor is growing ever larger.

I'll tip knowing people rely on tips in order to survive, in proportion with my ability to tip - which changes day to day. On the other hand I'll avoid places that include a percentage in my bill. This practice removes the matter of choice based on my ability to tip and sense of appreciation for good service from the equation. Just doesn't feel right.
'not the first time that Wrong sounds right!
Old 05-10-2014, 10:24   #62

Boat: Catalina 30

Wrong:

You're right. I agree wholeheartedly.
Old 05-10-2014, 11:08   #63

Boat: Nordhavn 46, 46'

I speak from eastern seaboard, USA, experience only. In every marina I've been to, if there are any cruisers (motor or sail) lounging about or working on their boats, they will run to help anyone docking.

At fuel docks and pumpout stations, the hired help is often high school or college kids, especially in the summer months. Like waiters and bartenders, they can receive less than the minimum wage legally because they get tips. Knowing that, I tip. Just like a restaurant or bar. I'll tip more if the service stands out. One can make the argument the owner should pay the minimum or better yet, a decent wage, but that will drive up the price of the product. No free lunch. In the long run, it all probably comes close to balancing out.

If I am staying at a marina, and, as I approach, see no one on the docks and yet I want help, I'll radio for help. Then I feel obligated to tip.
Old 05-10-2014, 14:59   #64

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
Ron
Much of this debate on tipping has come to us from you.. Just my tip to you.
This is one occasion where a tip is not necessary. Or appreciated.
Old 05-10-2014, 18:37   #65

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

Just as an aside ... I'm retired.

Had to retire early from lingering injuries and health problems.

I don't get much in SS, because the injuries have affected my earnings since injuries I got at 9 years old(cut my foot tendon), and back injuries when I was 13(fracture) and 19(mild fracture).

Now that I'm getting my VA disability, I total a little less than $1100 per month.

When I was working, I was a STRONG believer in tipping BUT ONLY AS A TRUE GRATUITY. I hated nothing worse than feeling any level of "obligation", in tipping ... especially when the service was sub-par.

I still believe in tipping ... AS A GRATUITY ONLY!

But since the less thoughtful of waitresses(or waiters or what-have-you), are almost always the first to make a customer pay for a bad tip, but that there now seems to be some moral obligation to make up for the worst of the server's wage shortfall, as well as the ones who really make one "want", to tip, I choose not to tip either ... I no longer go where tips are required or expected.

I say raise the wages, raise the cost of the meal and let "me" decide when and if to leave tips ... that little extra "gift", for good service.

I'm sure the best waitresses/waiters will still get decent tips even if the meal costs a little more and with a new mindset maybe the "bad" servers will decide it's not worth it to be in a job they can't properly perform.
Old 06-10-2014, 03:04   #66
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Surv that's a good attitude, you should move to Australia mate cos that's exactly how it is
Old 06-10-2014, 03:13   #67
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Btw I read bob ansetts autobiography a few years ago and he made his empire on the attitude of service with a smile, the customer is always right and paid his employees accordingly. I think it's better to tell your employees how to behave rather than leaving it up to the individuals to decide for themselves and I'd much rather enjoy a meal knowing that everyone involved is making a fair wage that they agreed on before signing up. Also from my experience, Australian hospitality workers are a hell of a lot more polite, friendly and professional than any I have come across in the USA
Old 06-10-2014, 07:16   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
..................... Also from my experience, Australian hospitality workers are a hell of a lot more polite, friendly and professional than any I have come across in the USA
I've been fortunate to travel in Australia and I've found the people there "polite, friendly and professional", but then I've found the same worldwide and no less in the USA. Maybe it's my own attitude or my own expectation. 'or maybe it's my refusal to make judgements by cultural differences. I'm reminded of a guest of ours visiting from San Diego who was offended when a waitress here in North Florida addressed her as "honey". She thought that it was disrespectful and demeaning. She didn't realize that this was just common polite discourse here. Many in the US spread the rumor that service providers in France are rude because they misinterpret the practiced cultural interactions between the customer and staff that is common in France.

I don't believe that there are places where people are less well behaved; just places where good behavior is expressed differently.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:14   #69

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I'm reminded of a guest of ours visiting from San Diego who was offended when a waitress here in North Florida addressed her as "honey". She thought that it was disrespectful and demeaning. She didn't realize that this was just common polite discourse here. .
Got to Laugh........
Boy does that bring back memories...... While I was in the service, As an instructor on the Hawk Missle system in Huntsville Alabama, came back out to California to pick up my Wife, (newly Married) and while setting at a cafe in Texax on the trip back, had a waitress called me something like " What-ell-ya-like hun" in that sexy Texas draw,when taking my order ..
My newly married wife accused me of not only knowing her but accused me of having an affair with the waitress due to the way she greeted me..
That was my first wife but as I remember, she brought that girl up every now and then for years.......
Old 06-10-2014, 09:32   #70

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

SOMe areas of the Uk call people ' Love'. When the waitress says 'what would you like today my love? it can cause complications. They also say 'me duck' or 'my duck' so be prepared to quack! it is coloquial slang. there are a couple of local waitresses here in Daytona that call me 'Hun' and give me an occasional hug, probably ensures she gets an extra buck on the tip but note that is spelled with a b not an f. or I will get in trouble fromall directions
Old 06-10-2014, 09:48   #71
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Luv, darling, darl, tiger, sport are all pretty interchangeable with sir or Madame in Aus, only not so much in your higher class establishments
I've had good and bad service in most countries but on the whole some are better than others and I've never tipped for bad service, but I usually do for good service in a restaurant, rarely more than 10% though. Good service for me starts with a smile, the occasional 'can I get you something', 'is your meal ok?', friendly atmosphere and decent food.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:32   #72

Boat: 1976 32' Downeaster

What confuses me about some of the comments on this thread is that somehow people are being "punished" for leaving a bad tip. But isn't the tip left after the entire service transaction has been completed? So how are you being punished?
Old 08-10-2014, 06:55   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
This is one occasion where a tip is not necessary. Or appreciated.
But most importantly...it was true.

You denegrated people for doing more than stating if they tip or not rather than just stating if you tip or not yourself.
Old 08-10-2014, 06:56   #74
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbabypenguin View Post
What confuses me about some of the comments on this thread is that somehow people are being "punished" for leaving a bad tip. But isn't the tip left after the entire service transaction has been completed? So how are you being punished?
Next time you use the service, or eat there etc.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 08-10-2014, 07:00   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbabypenguin View Post
- Often, the staff decides how well you will tip before you even sit down and service quality will be based on thier assumption about what kind of tipper they think you will be...not your tip.
- If you have a problem server and express it, they will assume you won't be tipping and the service will suffer more.
- The real problem comes in if you frequent a buisness more than once. If don't tip well, then the service suffers and potentially bad things happen.
- Also look at some of the posts claiming those who just want to have the price posted up front and not don't want to be responsible for managment and payroll for the staff...they are denegrated as being cheap, tightwads, etc....

Seems pretty straightforward to me.
Closed Thread