Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 30-09-2014, 20:59   #31

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)
Re: Tipping Line Handlers

"Personally, having worked for many years in the service industry I like to be known as a good tipper."

This doesn't sound very admirable ... it sounds like a fear of what you know about the business. Not a good reason for patronizing these places.

This sounds more like the number one reason to stay out of these places ... a good way to protect one's self and one's loved ones.

Old 01-10-2014, 03:23   #32

Boat: 38' French Cat

Wow I get that this is an international forum, but tipping has at times gotten us better service, allowed us to stay at a fuel dock or other for longer than allowed to take care of important things, help with tools or who knows what, especially in other countries, we have tipped sometimes with beer or fish too and it was always welcome. I laugh because we have friends in the service industry and their restaraunts add gratuity automatically to most foreigners, australian, German and especially french peoples bill's because of how poorly they tip wait staff.
Personally. I sleep better knowing a dockhand will keep an eye out for us If we are not around in a strange place, if I have thanked him w a beer or a couple dollars or something, instead of a rude, "get away from my boat"

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Old 01-10-2014, 06:19   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Frank Sinatra was reputed to be a huge tipper.
The story goes that he once asked the the restaurant parking valet, “what's the biggest tip he ever got?”
The valet says $100.
Sinatra gives him $200, then asks who gave him the $100 tip.
"You did, sir, last week."

Old 01-10-2014, 06:49   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
The dockhand could pee on your boat.

You are fighting an uphill battle here and no good can come of it. I think the illogical thing here is that you tip the waitress but not the dockhand. You should be tipping both or neither.
No it's very logical. I wouldn't tip at all except I don't want someone spitting in my food. I'd much rather have the owner pay his own staff.

The boat is different. If I come on deck and catch them peeing on my boat, they are likely getting fired that day. If they spit on my burger in kitchen, I likely will never know about it until I take a bite. That makes it very different.

Interestingly, someone else mentioned that they want to be KNOWN as a good tipper. This is a key problem with tipping, especially for cruisers who are unlikely to visit the same restaurant often enough that thier tipping habits become KNOWN. It's very common for a waitress to size you up as you walk in the door and provide service according to how they THINK you will tip (shouldn't be that way and there are exceptions but it is pretty common). If you don't look like a big tipper, you won't get good service even if you are.

It may be an uphill battle but the public is starting push back. On line forums allow people to hear that they aren't the only ones who want to go out for a relaxing dinner...not to manage someone elses staff or be demonized for being cheap. I'm not cheap I'm willing to pay a fair price. I just don't want to play mind games. There have been a few restaurants that have adopted a no tipping policy. We should support these movements.

And if you think tipping results in better service...one of our favorite resorts is Sandals. They have a no tipping policy but we have had staff tripping over themselves trying to take care of us. To the point that even with my anti-tipping mentality, I wanted to give them something extra and they always refused...of course that was the original intent of a tip. At similar quality resorts that allow tipping the service is fine but no where near as good and if you watch, at least some of the staff are clearly sizing up the tip.
- Our first experience...we had just checked in and were wandering about in one of the gardens. We must have looked confused as the gardener stopped what he was doing and asked if we needed anything or if he could help us. We said no, we were fine but he told us to wait and went and got us a couple of drinks. This was the gardener!
- Another time a flight delay resulted in us arriving around midnight. The restaurants were closed so we asked at the bar if there were any snacks. He got us a drink and said to let him see what he could do. About 20 minutes later, he comes out with tray with 6 full meals. We later found out he had stopped the chef who was on his way out the door and he came back and put together several meals because he wasn't sure what we would like (it wound up being a fun mini-buffet with the other guests).

So don't tell me you need tips to get good service. We've just let it get out of control.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:12   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
I sleep better knowing a dockhand will keep an eye out for us If we are not around in a strange place, if I have thanked him w a beer or a couple dollars or something, instead of a rude, "get away from my boat"

you should have written "FROM A RUDE *******" and then I would have known you were talking about Me.. And you are getting the two mixed up, were talking about handling the lines on your boat, not watching out for your boat while you are away..
If I were in a place where I would be off the boat for a night, and might be worried about the vandals, I would gladly hire someone to stand over my belongings , ready to put a cap in the first person to violate my boat.
Old 01-10-2014, 07:16   #36
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Actually, its what they did or did NOT do out of eye shot that earns them a tip For example, you may laugh but waiter have been known to spit in food ....
So after all the wars of the last 100 years where the USA and Austraia have battled side by side (and we are the only country to have done so in all wars except the Caribbeans ones) you, the learder of the free world and promoter of democracy you allow yourselves to be blackmailed at home whenever you go out to dinner.

Sorry guys but that just plain sux

As for better service, I disagree. Over-service is not better service. It doesnt take 6 people to take an order in a place when one or two will do. Its efficiency not multiple people... And I hate being interuped at the table. Take my order, delive my food and please don't drop past for anything else unless I ask.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 01-10-2014, 08:09   #37

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
You do know..... that all these tips are pooled between the hard workers and the slackers ... right? THAT'S because the business owner is not required to pay a living wage.
As a former restaurant owner and always American- the tips are NOT pooled. If the server chooses to share her tips with a bus person or with another server that helped them that is their choice.

Now, having traveled the world in a previous life it is customary to go by local customs- when traveling Europe and other places I don't tip- and that goes against what I'm used to but becuase it's the way there I don't do it.

As cruisers do you not adhere to certain customs or expectations in each country- be it tipping the customs agent, washer women etc?

I have never tipped for line handling, I don't tip people that get minimum wage or better- which as far as I know is everyone except wait staff and adult entertainment dancers

Now to really blow you're mind- there are restaurants out there and "gentlemans clubs" that require the staff to pay to work there and make only tips!!!!
Old 01-10-2014, 08:22   #38
Long Range Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker6977 View Post
and adult entertainment dancers
Oh, I always tip them!

But I never know where to put the money?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
Old 01-10-2014, 08:25   #39

Boat: Bristol 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Oh, I always tip them!

But I never know where to put the money?
I their shoe- I think it's a law in all US states that the shoes must remain on.

I could have said some other place but to keep the thread from diverging too quickly I'll leave it with shoes.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:53   #40

Boat: 1979 Marshall Californian 42 LRC

When I first arrived in La Paz, I was tipping 15-20% for meals, which is my habit in the USA. I was told by other cruisers that anything over 10% messes up the system down there. 10% is the expected tip amount.

As for line handlers, my marina supplies this service when requested. Before I moved to a more easily accessible slip, I used to request them, and would tip them with a cold drink, as the temps were often scorching. I thought about giving $, but they were always gone as soon as my lines were handled. Mark brings up a good point, which is I am paying top dollar for my slip, and the line handling is certainly part of what I am paying for.

I no longer use the dock workers, but certainly will if conditions warrant. YMMV.

Cheers, Bill
Old 01-10-2014, 10:09   #41

Boat: Her Shine Newburyport 37'

This thread reads like most power boaters tip and most sail boater don't
Old 01-10-2014, 10:44   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capecoder View Post
This thread reads like most power boaters tip and most sail boater don't

so its one of two things, either power boaters cant park their boats or sailboaters are cheep sob's....
Hmmmm, maybe both????
Old 01-10-2014, 10:48   #43
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Boatless Again

I don't tip the line catchers, but I do tip the pumpout guys, unless they stand around and watch me do the work.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:17   #44

Boat: 38' French Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
you should have written "FROM A RUDE *******" and then I would have known you were talking about Me.. And you are getting the two mixed up, were talking about handling the lines on your boat, not watching out for your boat while you are away..
If I were in a place where I would be off the boat for a night, and might be worried about the vandals, I would gladly hire someone to stand over my belongings , ready to put a cap in the first person to violate my boat.
Actually wasn't targeting you, sorry if you felt that, i see this often and have friends that do it too.

Old 01-10-2014, 12:43   #45

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

It has never even crossed my mind to tip a dockhand... Of course I generally avoid marinas.

BTW, does everyone also tip the cashier at the store, the guy running the travel lift, the city bus driver?

How about your doctor?

It is really all about what is customary. I tip the haircut girl a buck but the waitress 15%. I assume both underreport for their taxes...

Different restaurants manage tips differently, some pool some do not.

Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: