Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2014, 13:48   #136
cruiser

Boat: Boat less at the moment.
Re: Tipping Line Handlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post
Agreed with rwidman, if it sucks so bad for you here then just leave. After all, your boat is mobile and it sounds like you might be happier somewhere else!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Wow you all have size 13 ½ ?
Old 26-11-2014, 14:00   #137

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
Tempting as that suggestion is, we are trying hard to fit in with local tribal customs, with the exception of joining in with the gun violence, whilst making our significant contributions to the impoverished medical establishment of this the richest, most powerful nation in the world, that needs to retain all of it's accumulated wealth for fighting with all others until they finally surrender and bow to the might of American democratic idealism. I guess that might then be the end of the world as it is now.
And you haven't yet figured out that one requirement for "fitting in" is to not insult those you are trying to fit in with?

Really though, if you're so unhappy with the USA, why in the world would you choose to come here and why in the world would you stay? Were you run out of your homeland?

BTW: Keep in mind that if it wasn't for the USA, you would probably be speaking German today, not English.
Old 26-11-2014, 14:21   #138

Boat: csy 37

Robin3, welcome to America, where freedom of speech is mightily defended; unfortunately, the ability to think before speaking is widely ignored, as you can see from many of these posts.

I've no time to read through all these posts, so I hope i''m not repeating anything, but I hope I might clear something up here. My wife and I have traveled extensively in our lifetime, and particularly in Europe and the UK. In those places, service workers, waiters for example, are paid a fair wage and do not expect generous tips. But here in America these same people are paid, not minimum wage, but HALF of minimum wage. This is because they are EXPECTED to supplement their income with tips. So by tipping them they are actually able to, in many cases, earn a living wage.

I personally think this stinks. I understand the argument that, by having to depend on tips, they are more likely to give good service. But I still think it's demeaning. They should be paid a living wage and the price of restaraunt food increased to cover the cost of wages. Practically every industry in America does the same, and it's about time the service industry joined in.

Just my humble opinion. And I, on behalf of hundreds of millions of Americans, apologize for the rude imbecility of a few....
Old 26-11-2014, 14:45   #139

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Robin3, welcome to America, where freedom of speech is mightily defended; unfortunately, the ability to think before speaking is widely ignored, as you can see from many of these posts.

I've no time to read through all these posts,............
Perhaps you should take the time to read through all these posts and should have before responding as you did. The "rude imbecility" was on the part of Robin3, not those responding to his post. Without provocation, he decided to disrespect the citizens of his host country. He got what he deserved.
Old 26-11-2014, 15:05   #140

Quote:
On the other hand, if you're a little old lady with a large, heavy piece of luggage and the driver gets out and helps you stow it, and courteously helps you up into the van, then perhaps a tip would be appropriate
The America I grew up expected citizens to open doors for women and offer assistance to elderly folks crossing the street or carrying heavy bags... Never heard it suggested these courtesies deserved payment of any kind, tips or otherwise. So, why should the aforementioned driver expect compensation for doing a culturally appropriate thing? Maybe due to the fact we're more than ever placing monetary value on a higher rung than doing what's right. Helping another with their lines, unless we're told no help is required is the right thing to do. And, just because a marina employee happens to help does not change the character of the thing being done. It's the right thing to do, just like helping the elderly and payment for simply doing the right thing does not warrant being paid. The more people are paid for simply doing the right thing, social and cultural norms underpinning relationships between us will become increasingly confused. To a certain extent, does our British friend's viewpoint aim to reveal matters that ultimately tear at the fabric holding America together?

Quote:
Another example is dock boys who don't do anything you find useful or even get in your way.
This can be expanded to include immigration, customs, the increasing cost of port fees, graft and corruption. None of these things are truly useful to any of us and interfere with our desire to pursue a low cost, low stress cruising lifestyle.

Tip to show your appreciation for a service proportional to your understanding of what's fair and appropriate, or don't pay at all.
Old 26-11-2014, 15:14   #141
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I personally can't get my head around whether the added "Service Charge" posted on bills is a good or bad thing?

how do I know the staff get that 10-15% ?

And what if I think the service was lousy and cannot send them the universal message of leaving a 2 cent tip.
Old 26-11-2014, 16:40   #142
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
But heck, I'll shut up and leave you to your wet dreams of Nirvana.
See? Neither.
Old 26-11-2014, 17:02   #143

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post

I've no time to read through all these posts, so I hope i''m not repeating anything, but I hope I might clear something up here. My wife and I have traveled extensively in our lifetime, and particularly in Europe and the UK. In those places, service workers, waiters for example, are paid a fair wage and do not expect generous tips. But here in America these same people are paid, not minimum wage, but HALF of minimum wage. This is because they are EXPECTED to supplement their income with tips. So by tipping them they are actually able to, in many cases, earn a living wage.

I personally think this stinks. I understand the argument that, by having to depend on tips, they are more likely to give good service. But I still think it's demeaning. They should be paid a living wage and the price of restaraunt food increased to cover the cost of wages. Practically every industry in America does the same, and it's about time the service industry joined in.

Just my humble opinion. And I, on behalf of hundreds of millions of Americans, apologize for the rude imbecility of a few....
I'm not sure what rude imbecility you're referring to, but if it's in regard to tipping, if anything, Americans tend to be in the upper echelons of tippers worldwide because we're more accustomed and accepting of it than most. If it's in regard to the policy of service workers being paid less than minimum wage and being expected to make it up in tips, did you really call those you disagree with on this issue "imbeciles" right in the same post where you also mentioned that " the ability to think before speaking is widely ignored?!"

I particularly enjoyed one summer while working in one of these type jobs, as a waiter until the restaurant closed at 10PM, then as bartender during the busiest hours there, and then baker after the bar closed to earn money for college. Far from it being demeaning, I had a great time and earned more money that summer than any other summer during college. Yes, I put in some long hours but it was a lot of fun and I quickly learned how to be a good waiter and earned WAY more than minimum wage, which is about all I could have earned at that point anywhere else.
Old 26-11-2014, 17:19   #144

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
And you haven't yet figured out that one requirement for "fitting in" is to not insult those you are trying to fit in with?
I wasn't trying to insult anyone but if you like I will do my best...

Quote:
Really though, if you're so unhappy with the USA, why in the world would you choose to come here and why in the world would you stay? Were you run out of your homeland?
My lovely wife, who is a much better example of a nice, pleasant American, was missing her USA family and asked if we could move here when I retired, so that is what we did and why, but she has been severely disappointed by the USA she returned to after 26 years in civilisation.
Quote:
BTW: Keep in mind that if it wasn't for the USA, you would probably be speaking German today, not English.
I can speak some German as it happens as well as pretty good French and Spanish, which comes from living and working in a varied environment not being brainwashed from kindergarden and from understanding that a whole world exists outside of the USA. I have worked for a French company, a German company, a Swiss company and a Spanish one plus ran my own business internationally for over 25 years so I think my views are pretty widely based, not narrow minded or bigoted, Am I getting insulting enough yet even just by telling it ike it is.?

Anyways I'm not someone who wants to stay where they are obviously disliked and so I will stick in future to a different and more friendly boating forum (they do exist you know) where free speech is indeed free speech and other's opinions are tolerated even if not always like/accepted.

Bye!

PS I tipped our waitress tonight, at our local steakhouse, 25% was that OK? Might have been sexist mind since she was 'seriously kewt', awesome in fact.
Old 26-11-2014, 18:13   #145
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

That's enough for this thread then. Free speech or not, we are not allowing this to devolve into a personal attack fest. The thread is closed.

Coops.