Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2006, 23:23   #16

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Must be a East Coast thing.

I've never heard of it here. Although, I would agree with tipping at service/tourist based marinas. But we don't have much of that here. Maybe the fishing charters would be our service outlets.

Here people don't run down the dock to help you pull in unless the weather is extreme or you're in trouble. Even then most will just watch to see if you’re going to crash. You've got to know what your doing here or you won't last. If you're pulling into a shared slip the guy next to may help out. But I can see myself tipping a guy with a $500,000 boat.

Basically, it's just a common courtesy to help out if you happen to be on the docks. Kind of a neighborly thing!
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 01:32   #17

Boat: Privilege 37
Mobo drivers probably dont notice the cost of the tip while still realing from the cost of a tank of fuel.
Old 26-03-2006, 08:14   #18

I guess it's mostly an "east coast thing"?

Cause I never heard of such a thing out here on the "west coast"?

Also since I am new at this. I'm sure I'll see my share of people doing stupid things with boats?

I remember when I was visiting Kai Nui 3 weeks ago. Me and him were watching this one boat taking several trips. Back & forth with a bow thruster trying to get into the slip so they could tie up!!

Now that's entertainment?

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2006, 08:37   #19
cruiser

Re: Must be a East Coast thing.

Could be... only time I see it change is as you head farther and farther North... into Down East Maine. Then it starts to become a lot more like Del describes. Although, I still have a soft spot for those kids working the docks. Hope none of them see this and can identify me... then they'll probably come running like for the power boats... ha ha

Quote:
delmarrey once whispered in the wind:
I've never heard of it here. Although, I would agree with tipping at service/tourist based marinas. But we don't have much of that here. Maybe the fishing charters would be our service outlets.

Here people don't run down the dock to help you pull in unless the weather is extreme or you're in trouble. Even then most will just watch to see if you’re going to crash. You've got to know what your doing here or you won't last. If you're pulling into a shared slip the guy next to may help out. But I can see myself tipping a guy with a $500,000 boat.

Basically, it's just a common courtesy to help out if you happen to be on the docks. Kind of a neighborly thing!
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2006, 23:08   #20

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Tipping at Marina

Have never heard or seen tipping at any of the marinas I have been to in Australia.

The boating community is normally very friendly, and anyone standing on the dock, marina worker or fellow boater, is normally more than happy to assist when coming alongside or whatever. Nothing expected except a thank you and assistance when the roles are reversed.

I know it is not uncommon to "tip" with a case of beer or similar at Christmas. As mentioned, such expressions of gratitude are normally re-paid in kind during the rest of the year.

Fair winds

Steve

Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 06:31   #21

So if nobody tipped, then colledge kids would not do it unless the got paid properly, and nobody would have to bribe anybody (and outbid other cruisers) to get good service....?
Moby Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 07:12   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
”... kids would not do it unless the got paid properly ...” presumes that they have the wherewithal to decline under-paying jobs - a highly unlikely scenario.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 17:06   #23
cruiser

Plus... if you've ever been around these folks... they are just nice guys/girls doing a summer job to earn a few extra bucks for the school year.

I'll say it again... I've been in their shoes. You'll take whatever summer job you can since your studies are your main focus. It's also a nice way to keep up with an expensive hobby like sailing when you are a desperately broke student.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 17:22   #24
Kai Nui

I would like to elaborate a bit on my comments, and K's comment. While the regular harbor employees here are not particularly helpfull, and will not go to any effort to grab lines, the residents, like any harbor make a point of helping out whenever practical. I would gladly have hepled the boat K mentioned if he wasn't at another dock a 10 minute walk away. THere are no volunteers here to tip aside from other boat owners. We have 2 seperate harbors here. South harbor (low rent district), and north harbor. The north harbor used to belong to the yacht club, but about 20 years ago. Despite that fact, the north harbor is a much different community. The club still has a guest dock there, and it is almost impossible to dock there without at least 2 or 3 people running out to help. It is traditional to buy them a drink at the bar afterwards. A monetary tip would probably not be appreciated, as the effort is done out of kindness and hospitality, not a feeling of responsibility to do so. I have been in several fuel docks where the person handling the dock grabbed lines, and although I would not have felt out of place giving a tip, the idea did not cross my mind. A posted sign requesting tips sounds like a reasonable thing, but since most harbors do not have people on the docks that provide service of any sort, and do little more than to guide you in on the VHF, I doubt you have commited any social faux pas by not tipping. From a slightly different perspective, there are few here that go sailing on a regular basis, and I make it a point to look for them to return so I can grab docklines. Twice in the past year boats have sailed in with engine problems, and NEEDED the help to get into the slip. During storms, I walk the docks and check docklines, and furlers. I have saved 3 boats this season alone. (Lost the genoa on one, but saved the rig). I would be offended if I was given a tip for looking out for my fellow sailors, but an offer to come aboard for a drink is always appreciated.
Old 28-03-2006, 17:28   #25

Thanks Kai for speaking on my behalf!!

But folks. Kai's right. It's very despicable about the marinas out west here!!

Unless the docks have "high" money value involved. Then you'll see them out there on the docks!!

Other than less than "high" value. You better think again?

Damn harbor "bastards" tying other boats next to mine. Without putting any fenders to help protect my boat from getting any "bumping" damages from the boat their tying off next to mine!! AAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
Old 28-03-2006, 20:33   #26
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
The only tip I would give anyone down here, is to plant their Beans early this year.
Mate, it must be a posh marina to have someone come and help tie up. If ya tried that in my Marina, they'd laugh at you so hard, they would fall of the jetty.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2006, 20:41   #27

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Tip

Don't go West in the evening is the best tip I ever came up with.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2006, 13:39   #28
Kai Nui

Wheels, Posh marina's aside, everyone needs a hand once in a while Sailing into my slip can be a real challenge when the wind turns south. After tacking south down the main channel (very short tacks) you have to sail east for 90 meters, then south for 90 meters, then turn west into the slip. With no motor, I will take all the help I can get. And I am greatful when I get it. It's a piece of cake when the wind is NW, which it usually is, but once in a while...
Michael, We need a scratching head ICON here. I don't get it. It sounds quite profound, but I don't get it. Canuk thing?
Old 29-03-2006, 13:45   #29

No offense Micheal.

But I know Canucks who can talk better than that?

It must be a "Micheal" thing?

Old 29-03-2006, 14:33   #30

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Tip

Don't go West in the evening. This is not complicated. Try it tonight. The sun is in your eyes, and you can not see where you are going. Used to happen a lot in NZ driving home from the beach on Sunday.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote