Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2012, 21:02   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Re: Time to upgrade to a bigger boat

The only argument for inboard power is the "journey" in boat ownership and eventual cruising.

The diesel engine adds the diesel maintenance, more electrical power, and the resultant learning.

I would try to make the jump to 30 feet if you can. 24-30 may feel a lot more significant than 24-27.

Unfortunately you are beam limited - Modern design comfort at anchor has a lot to do with beaminess.

Of course it has a lot to do with layout.

I missed how many folks you need to accommodate on weekend trips. Kids?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2012, 23:51   #17

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Us telling you what boat to get is like ordering a mail order bride. She might give you sons, but she might also be as visually pleasing to you as the side of a barn.

Find a marina, and go walking up and down the docks. Talk to people about their boats. Go sailing on the ones you like, most people are pretty helpful on docks and would love to take someone out that might share an interest in their brand of sailboat.

Do lots of reading, and looking at pics of boats, but that is no replacement for getting your feet on them.

I went from a mac 25 (similar to yours) to a Clipper Marine 32 center cockpit ketch diesel. Pretty rare sailboat in that they have been out of production 35 years. I did my homework, and that was the boat I fell head over heals over. Finding one in passing survey condition was the challenge, with a trailer! It took me about six months of looking daily all over the Internet. One showed very far from Nebraska, in LA.

My advice is look at sailboats still being made, as they are close by, and easier to find parts for.
Old 31-10-2012, 07:17   #18

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

There's only two of us- no kids, so we don't need that much room. A berth that fits both of us would be nice, but we realize that may not happen in a 9' beam boat. All of the helpful comments here, as well as from fellow sailors on the 2 major sailing lakes here in Southern AZ, are pointing out some issues that I hadn't considered. This is much appreciated! We will continue to get on as many boats as we can find in the next couple months. As Ex-Calif mentioned, we are looking at this next boat as the next step in our learning experience- larger boat handling and boat systems. Next month we will get bare boat certified, and then will start chartering a couple times a year, gaining more knowledge and experience.

Thanks again everyone!
Old 31-10-2012, 22:15   #19

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

John,
Where do you sail now? We sometimes hang out at Lake Pleasant and will be there this weekend. There are quite a few zonies who have a small, trailerable boat close to home, but keep a bigger boat in Mexico or southern California.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:44   #20

Boat: 99 Island Packet 380

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
John,
Where do you sail now? We sometimes hang out at Lake Pleasant and will be there this weekend. There are quite a few zonies who have a small, trailerable boat close to home, but keep a bigger boat in Mexico or southern California.
I have a slip at Roosevelt. Since I live in Tucson, it's a much easier drive than Pleasant, and bigger. I was at Pleasant last Sunday looking at boats at the Sailboat Shop. First time I'd been there in years.
Old 01-11-2012, 10:39   #21

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

I mean to explore Roosevelt one of these days -- have only driven by. Did drive the Apache Trail down below Roosevelt and that's just a bit hair-raising; it's hard to imagine people taking nice, and fairly large, boats to Apache Lake. We just sold a boat at the Sailboat Shop and will be camping about a block from there this weekend.