Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 14:33   #16
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

14 kt? That's screaming for a 38' boat. You must have been jumping over the waves. The best I've ever done was just under 11 kt.
__________________

__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:38   #17
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: British Columbia, Mexico
Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Posts: 837
Images: 23
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

I was too busy to be scared,seas were probably 20ft.Partner was too scared to take wheel,even for 2 minutes,and I didn't like the idea of turning into wind to douse the double reefed main in the dark.Was the longest night of my life.The boat got fully tested that night,it was still fairly new to me at the time.Surfs up...
__________________

__________________
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:51   #18
Registered User

Join Date: May 2008
Location: British Columbia, Mexico
Boat: S&S Hughes 38
Posts: 837
Images: 23
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

NOAA forecast said 25knts.(with hazardous seas)but when we and another boat left Port Orford,after waiting 5 days for gales to end,seas were flat.
__________________
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 15:09   #19
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

I think I'll be using the buoy data if I need to head to shore. Or call in by sat-phone to some one that can. I may even have a email if I can swing it.

National Data Buoy Center
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 15:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tasmania
Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Posts: 2,317
Images: 91
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Don't forget to stop in for beers when you get to Tasmania, Del!

To be honest, all the talk of how much of a handful IOR boats are downwind in a seaway is, in my opinion, overstating the case. Yes IOR boats are pigs downwind in a big sea if you are over-canvassed. With lots of mainsail and a big spinnaker, its a white knuckle ride, for sure (I know, been there, done that too many times). But unless you are racing, there is no need to be over-canvassed. With an appropriate amount of canvas, I don't think they are too bad.

Thing is, these boats have a relatively low hull speed, so putting up more sail area has diminishing returns in terms of boat speed. You aren't going to plane (short of being pushed off a cliff), the best you can hope for is to surf, and to surf you just need enough power to get on the front of the wave. With too much sail up, you just load everything up, make the boat squat deeper in the water, and increase you chances of rounding up or broaching.

In 40 knots of breeze, I'm happy to pole out a scrap of headsail and sail with 3 reefs... I'll still be going downwind at around 10 knots and frankly that is quick enough
__________________
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 16:05   #21
Moderator
 
Adelie's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Posts: 4,622
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

I make it 932nm from Shilshole to the Marina near the Wharf.

Figure your boat in cruising trim should make about 132nm/d so 7days. I would provision for at least 9d, but I am conservative.

Daddle is currently in the Philippines, you might hit him up for advice.
__________________
A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground no one would think to try and refloat it.
SailboatData
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 16:08   #22
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Don't forget to stop in for beers when you get to Tasmania, Del!

To be honest, all the talk of how much of a handful IOR boats are downwind in a seaway is, in my opinion, overstating the case. Yes IOR boats are pigs downwind in a big sea if you are over-canvassed. With lots of mainsail and a big spinnaker, its a white knuckle ride, for sure (I know, been there, done that too many times). But unless you are racing, there is no need to be over-canvassed. With an appropriate amount of canvas, I don't think they are too bad.

Thing is, these boats have a relatively low hull speed, so putting up more sail area has diminishing returns in terms of boat speed. You aren't going to plane (short of being pushed off a cliff), the best you can hope for is to surf, and to surf you just need enough power to get on the front of the wave. With too much sail up, you just load everything up, make the boat squat deeper in the water, and increase you chances of rounding up or broaching.

In 40 knots of breeze, I'm happy to pole out a scrap of headsail and sail with 3 reefs... I'll still be going downwind at around 10 knots and frankly that is quick enough
It may happen! I'm heading for Cebu as the port of call but I'll need to leave the country on occasion.

I hear ya on the over powering. That must be the biggest down fall for the IOR's. There were originally built for the light wind races but they put on heavy rigs just in case, it seems. I was crossing the Sound here one day on a reach in 25 kts with just the roller genny reefed. That was a fun ride, up & down, beam on the waves. I was averaging 9 kts by the GPS.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 17:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Hi Del:
Finally got out my log book. We left Astoria OR on 15 May 2008 at 1425. Sailed as soon as cleared the Bar. Wind died around 0000 17 May 2008. Motored into Eureka. Arrived in Eureka at Woodley Island Marina 1700 hours 17 May. Left Marina in no wind 0400 18 May. 0800 5.2 Miles to Cape Mendicino. Motored tilll Point Reyes no wind Sailed under the GG Bridge 1300 hrs 18 May. If we hadn't had to pull into Eureka we would have saved probably 12 hours. Overall trip was just under 4 days including stop in Eureka.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 20:27   #24
Senior Cruiser
 
delmarrey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Now in Blaine, WA
Boat: Modified Choate 40
Posts: 10,702
Images: 122
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Del:
Finally got out my log book. We left Astoria OR on 15 May 2008 at 1425. Sailed as soon as cleared the Bar. Wind died around 0000 17 May 2008. Motored into Eureka. Arrived in Eureka at Woodley Island Marina 1700 hours 17 May. Left Marina in no wind 0400 18 May. 0800 5.2 Miles to Cape Mendicino. Motored tilll Point Reyes no wind Sailed under the GG Bridge 1300 hrs 18 May. If we hadn't had to pull into Eureka we would have saved probably 12 hours. Overall trip was just under 4 days including stop in Eureka.
Thanks Charlie!

It looks like the middle of May is not a good time for sailing. Up here we could still get some snow. If I had to motor the whole way to SF, I'd probably have to stop in Crescent City to top off the tanks. At least I have a water maker.

Hummm! I wonder how long it would take if I put out the sea anchor and let the current carry me. I hear it's about 3 kt going South.
__________________
Faithful are the Wounds of a Friend, but the Kisses of the Enemy are Deceitful! ........
A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves!

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 21:30   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Nevada City. CA
Boat: Sceptre 41
Posts: 3,745
Images: 9
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Thanks Charlie!

It looks like the middle of May is not a good time for sailing. Up here we could still get some snow. If I had to motor the whole way to SF, I'd probably have to stop in Crescent City to top off the tanks. At least I have a water maker.

Hummm! I wonder how long it would take if I put out the sea anchor and let the current carry me. I hear it's about 3 kt going South.
If that was the case I would have been doing ten knots down the coast. I think 1/4 to 1/2 is more probable.
__________________
Fair Winds,

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:03   #26
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: San Francisco Bay
Boat: Hunter Legend 40
Posts: 291
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Going to SF from Astoria August 20-25. Thanks for all the info.
__________________
Gary

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:37   #27
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Port Ludlow Wa
Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Posts: 1,974
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

Oh boy! Here we go.....after all the work you have done I can hear the wheels turning from clear over here. looking forward to your reports. Hope your not doing this just to avoid those pesky naps.

Todd
__________________
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 12:15   #28
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Comox, British Columbia
Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold
Posts: 108
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

We went down last August in an Endevour 44. It took us 8days and if I were to do it again I would go at least 100miles off until clear of Cape Mendicino. For some reason, our captain came in before. That was a long 12 hour fight at 40 miles off. We also had to motor out of the Juan de Fuca as the North Westerly was in our faces blowing 30+. That part also took 12 hours. We were very happy to see the Golden Gate. If you need a little respite and are a member of a club, stop in to the Sausalito Yacht Club, and catch a mooring buoy. They were amazing hosts and have a great little pub.
__________________
Heart of Gold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 16:56   #29
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Seattle
Posts: 1,130
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

What is an "IOR"?
__________________
Jammer Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 17:02   #30
Senior Cruiser
 
Sailmonkey's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Houston
Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Posts: 5,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
What is an "IOR"?
IOR was a racing rule to build boats to. It designed some good boats and some atrocities.
__________________

__________________
Sailmonkey is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sail, seattle

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:33.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.