Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-03-2013, 14:33   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40
Re: Time To Sail From Seattle......

14 kt? That's screaming for a 38' boat. You must have been jumping over the waves. The best I've ever done was just under 11 kt.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 14:38   #17

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

I was too busy to be scared,seas were probably 20ft.Partner was too scared to take wheel,even for 2 minutes,and I didn't like the idea of turning into wind to douse the double reefed main in the dark.Was the longest night of my life.The boat got fully tested that night,it was still fairly new to me at the time.Surfs up...

Old 07-03-2013, 14:51   #18

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

NOAA forecast said 25knts.(with hazardous seas)but when we and another boat left Port Orford,after waiting 5 days for gales to end,seas were flat.
Old 07-03-2013, 15:09   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I'll be using the buoy data if I need to head to shore. Or call in by sat-phone to some one that can. I may even have a email if I can swing it.

National Data Buoy Center

Old 07-03-2013, 15:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

Don't forget to stop in for beers when you get to Tasmania, Del!

To be honest, all the talk of how much of a handful IOR boats are downwind in a seaway is, in my opinion, overstating the case. Yes IOR boats are pigs downwind in a big sea if you are over-canvassed. With lots of mainsail and a big spinnaker, its a white knuckle ride, for sure (I know, been there, done that too many times). But unless you are racing, there is no need to be over-canvassed. With an appropriate amount of canvas, I don't think they are too bad.

Thing is, these boats have a relatively low hull speed, so putting up more sail area has diminishing returns in terms of boat speed. You aren't going to plane (short of being pushed off a cliff), the best you can hope for is to surf, and to surf you just need enough power to get on the front of the wave. With too much sail up, you just load everything up, make the boat squat deeper in the water, and increase you chances of rounding up or broaching.

In 40 knots of breeze, I'm happy to pole out a scrap of headsail and sail with 3 reefs... I'll still be going downwind at around 10 knots and frankly that is quick enough
Old 07-03-2013, 16:05   #21

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

I make it 932nm from Shilshole to the Marina near the Wharf.

Figure your boat in cruising trim should make about 132nm/d so 7days. I would provision for at least 9d, but I am conservative.

Daddle is currently in the Philippines, you might hit him up for advice.
Old 07-03-2013, 16:08   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weyalan View Post
Don't forget to stop in for beers when you get to Tasmania, Del!

To be honest, all the talk of how much of a handful IOR boats are downwind in a seaway is, in my opinion, overstating the case. Yes IOR boats are pigs downwind in a big sea if you are over-canvassed. With lots of mainsail and a big spinnaker, its a white knuckle ride, for sure (I know, been there, done that too many times). But unless you are racing, there is no need to be over-canvassed. With an appropriate amount of canvas, I don't think they are too bad.

Thing is, these boats have a relatively low hull speed, so putting up more sail area has diminishing returns in terms of boat speed. You aren't going to plane (short of being pushed off a cliff), the best you can hope for is to surf, and to surf you just need enough power to get on the front of the wave. With too much sail up, you just load everything up, make the boat squat deeper in the water, and increase you chances of rounding up or broaching.

In 40 knots of breeze, I'm happy to pole out a scrap of headsail and sail with 3 reefs... I'll still be going downwind at around 10 knots and frankly that is quick enough
It may happen! I'm heading for Cebu as the port of call but I'll need to leave the country on occasion.

I hear ya on the over powering. That must be the biggest down fall for the IOR's. There were originally built for the light wind races but they put on heavy rigs just in case, it seems. I was crossing the Sound here one day on a reach in 25 kts with just the roller genny reefed. That was a fun ride, up & down, beam on the waves. I was averaging 9 kts by the GPS.

Old 07-03-2013, 17:44   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Hi Del:
Finally got out my log book. We left Astoria OR on 15 May 2008 at 1425. Sailed as soon as cleared the Bar. Wind died around 0000 17 May 2008. Motored into Eureka. Arrived in Eureka at Woodley Island Marina 1700 hours 17 May. Left Marina in no wind 0400 18 May. 0800 5.2 Miles to Cape Mendicino. Motored tilll Point Reyes no wind Sailed under the GG Bridge 1300 hrs 18 May. If we hadn't had to pull into Eureka we would have saved probably 12 hours. Overall trip was just under 4 days including stop in Eureka.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 20:27   #24
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Hi Del:
Finally got out my log book. We left Astoria OR on 15 May 2008 at 1425. Sailed as soon as cleared the Bar. Wind died around 0000 17 May 2008. Motored into Eureka. Arrived in Eureka at Woodley Island Marina 1700 hours 17 May. Left Marina in no wind 0400 18 May. 0800 5.2 Miles to Cape Mendicino. Motored tilll Point Reyes no wind Sailed under the GG Bridge 1300 hrs 18 May. If we hadn't had to pull into Eureka we would have saved probably 12 hours. Overall trip was just under 4 days including stop in Eureka.
Thanks Charlie!

It looks like the middle of May is not a good time for sailing. Up here we could still get some snow. If I had to motor the whole way to SF, I'd probably have to stop in Crescent City to top off the tanks. At least I have a water maker.

Hummm! I wonder how long it would take if I put out the sea anchor and let the current carry me. I hear it's about 3 kt going South.

Old 07-03-2013, 21:30   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Thanks Charlie!

It looks like the middle of May is not a good time for sailing. Up here we could still get some snow. If I had to motor the whole way to SF, I'd probably have to stop in Crescent City to top off the tanks. At least I have a water maker.

Hummm! I wonder how long it would take if I put out the sea anchor and let the current carry me. I hear it's about 3 kt going South.
If that was the case I would have been doing ten knots down the coast. I think 1/4 to 1/2 is more probable.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:03   #26

Boat: Hunter Legend 40

Going to SF from Astoria August 20-25. Thanks for all the info.

I'm wet nurse to a last place dead to the neck up ball club and I'm choking to death.
gpshephe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2013, 08:37   #27

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Oh boy! Here we go.....after all the work you have done I can hear the wheels turning from clear over here. looking forward to your reports. Hope your not doing this just to avoid those pesky naps.

Todd
Old 30-07-2013, 12:15   #28

Boat: Hunter 34, Heart of Gold

We went down last August in an Endevour 44. It took us 8days and if I were to do it again I would go at least 100miles off until clear of Cape Mendicino. For some reason, our captain came in before. That was a long 12 hour fight at 40 miles off. We also had to motor out of the Juan de Fuca as the North Westerly was in our faces blowing 30+. That part also took 12 hours. We were very happy to see the Golden Gate. If you need a little respite and are a member of a club, stop in to the Sausalito Yacht Club, and catch a mooring buoy. They were amazing hosts and have a great little pub.
Old 30-07-2013, 16:56   #29
cruiser

What is an "IOR"?
Old 30-07-2013, 17:02   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six View Post
What is an "IOR"?
IOR was a racing rule to build boats to. It designed some good boats and some atrocities.

Tags
sail, seattle

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: