Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2008, 12:41   #1

Boat: Shopping for catamaran
Time to go?

Time to go?

Has any one had any life changing events, and moved there departure date up. We have been planning on leveling December of 2009. But some major life issues have changed and I am considering moving the date up to as soon as possible.

So any job changes, family changes, health changes... etc caused people to haul up the anchor and go cruising sooner rather then latter?

I have sort of come to the conclusion that the specific economics are not that important as long as I stay within comfortable limits and don’t try and exceed the budget it should not matter if that budget is 3K a month or 7K a month.
Brandywine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 12:47   #2
Kai Nui

I can tell you from experience that if you wait until the time is perfect, and all the pieces are perfectly in place, you will likely never leave. Not saying you should just abandon your current life and leave when the desire hits, but if you see a window where the sacrifices are worth the gain, GO. Cut the lines, and run. I missed that first window, and it has been hard to get to the next. You can be sure I will not let the lack of a water maker, or some other such silly excuse prevent me from cutting the lines when that time comes again.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:48   #3

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Yes, I was going to wait for 6 six years. Now the date is Summer 2009. I have here, just do it!
John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 06:52   #4

Boat: Cabot 36
Do not hesitate! The time will never be perfect. But now sounds not too bad for you. So make your list with details and don't forget to put in time frames on your list because you will find that as you progress the list will get shorter and shorter but at some point will start to get longer again. That is the time you have to leave unless there are some catastrophic details you cant overcome while underway.
This life is not a dress rehearsal as they say!
Good luck!
Hope Light is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:05   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41
Things change, people die, your health falls apart or nothing changes. The earlier the better.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 09:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Yes,

Our original plan was to leave in 2008/9 and we left in 2006. Our kitty was not where we wanted it when we left and our first year's budget was too low by over 200%, but you only go around once.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28   #7

David and Eileen of Little Gidding fame were 5 years into their 10 year plan to go cruising when David's father died from cancer. They decided to just go and they did it for 12 years. For some excellent perspective from some people who know what they're talking about, go here:

BoatUS Cruising Logs
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote