Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2018, 10:45   #46

Boat: Sabre 36, Pearson 34. Boatless
Re: Time moving on without me sucks

I am 75 and solo sail all the time. Former wife refused to do anything so I had to learn early.
Hardest issues are trimming a Genoa in a stiff breeze and cranking the last few feet on the mainsail halyard.
Considering getting an 18 volt drill with a bit that sits in the winch. Like having a portable electric winch.

Watch the weather; reefing a large main can be a chore in heavy wind and seaway. I had a Stoway mast on a Sabre years ago and wish I had it now.

Keep sailing, it keeps you younger feeling. And skiing as well if you have access.
Normanskier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 11:12   #47

Boat: Cal-40

Wow, an honest and humble post.... how refreshing
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 12:22   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davie J. View Post
I just turned 73 and am planning a solo circumnavigation on a 40 foot cutter. Like you, I have had some issues such as shoulder and knee replacement and I take a handfull of pills every day. But, I'm otherwise in good shape, having been a gym rat for most of my adult years. I too have difficulty doing some of the things I took for granted when I was 30, but I think I'm wiser, more patient and more cautious. Unless you are afraid of making a major mistake, my advise is to go for it. My wife thinks I'm crazy and maybe I am, but I'm going for it anyway.
Out of curiosity, How do you anticipate getting the pills if a controlled substance? I am not being trite it is an honest question.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 14:38   #49

Boat: Island Packet 350

What a terrific and inspiring thread with some great suggestions!
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2018, 06:26   #50

Boat: Omega 36

If you used to sail solo, probably the crew is not the best solution. Install a self-tacking jib – it could be a boom or rail – I even saw very simple with lines and blocks (not sure it is god: https://www.pinterest.ca/pin/AYknxl7...FoSNtp-35Qh1A/). Always keep main on the first reef (at least) , even at 5k for balance and comfort, avoid jibing at wind more than 10k, maybe do not jib at all .
And the best of luck!
Kolchac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 06:40   #51

Boat: Sundeer 64' ketch

You sound like a great teacher ! This is now about 17 mo since you posted. Curious as to how and what you’re doing.
Personally I wouldn’t move down since you know every book and cranny in your boat. I’d take on a young person(s) and give instructions - maintenance too. We know that to sail you’ve got to be good at prevention and maintenance or you’re in for it.
Go until you can’t.
Nibiruwayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 09:46   #52

Send a message via AIM to cradlemountain

I am having a hard time with sailors wanting crew, female between 18 and 45, no matter how old the owner is. I would prefer if they had no agest remarks and give senior ladies a chance to sail again. I understand that also I would not be happy on a boat with an owner who treats women as sex objects so I would like a place for owners who respect all ages to be on one forum or search sight, not necessarily older sailor forums as there are a few younger men and women owners who do not have this problem. It would be safer all around to have a good healthy and respectful attitude.
I also would prefer a good reply stating reasonds why they don't need me when there add continues to search for crew to board now. I love sailing and do have skills to be apart of a crew. Looking for an owner with respect for age and women.
cradlemountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 11:20   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Maybe the young ones known we old ‘uns can kick their butts?

I’m very leary of taking folks on a sailboat, I’m most decidedly NOT a good teacher, I get too much angst too fast. I would like to have some truly experienced crew off and on because there is much I would like to learn. It just never seems to work with our cruising style.

One thing I do like is that most successful cruising couples seem to have the whole marriage thing worked out pretty well. Yeah we still fight, but we have confidence that it will just be a squall.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:50   #54

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Gotta be careful that the implied "fit for purpose" of a partners stated seaworthness is
not wishful thinking. Been caught here. Can upset the applecart.
Age is irrelevant.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 00:45   #55

Hi, Rchido on Sugaree ...Keep sailing until you can't. Maybe you could do some crewing for some sailors on this forum who request help. Crewing is usually much easier than sailing your own boat. Usually there are more crew members available during any sail changes or difficult exercise.

Standing watch is usually that; as long as you got eyesight you should be ok and cooking, well even you have to eat. Or, get a pet; they make wonderful companions and friends. Or find a gentleman or lady friend close to your age or not who likes to sail; it could be a lot more fun.

I'm 71 and have owned and lived on boats in my younger days but have been crewing exclusively for the past 20 years. I have replied to request for crew on this Forum only to be turned down a few times. When I did ask, why? they respectfully told me they were looking for a younger crew closer to their own age or as one Captain told me, "he was looking for someone younger than he.". OK, makes sense and I have no problems with that. I last crewed from Cape Town S.A. to Annapolis, Md. when I was 69 so it's still possible to find a crew position at an old age.

I look at it like this; they own the boat and are giving me a opportunity to sail. I believe they have the right to accept or refuse whomever they wish at their discretion. To automatically jump to an accusation that a skipper would want a female or male in a particular age range because of sex is going down the wrong hole. (No pun intended). There might be some that want that but then again, it's their boat and their business. There might be a female or male out there looking for the same thing as crew; again, that's their business. I have crewed with females that were much better sailors than the men crew on board and vise/versa. I have crewed on boat where the ladies were much better cooks. So, there are lots of reasons to request a female or male crew member, which is the Captains right to do.