Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2018, 17:06   #31

Boat: 2001 Catalina 36
Re: Time moving on without me sucks

When I was 20 and lost my keys, I thought I was tired. Now I worry it’s early dementia. As we age we compare ourselves to younger and probably more idealized versions of ourselves. I was out this weekend in 15 knots and was the only boat with sails up. I think you are doing just fine.
dangerfield55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2018, 17:44   #32

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

There's a saying, "Trawlers are an old sailor's power boat" and now that I'm 76 I understand it.
Old 24-07-2018, 18:12   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
There's a saying, "Trawlers are an old sailor's power boat" and now that I'm 76 I understand it.

I "get" that and having moved to BC for N California, I see more and larger M/Ys.

I'm surrounded!!!

What I HAVE noticed that the OP may NOT know is that my trawler with a stick is much more stable. On passage and at anchor. M/Ys of a certain type do tend to roll, moving or not, compared to our stick fogeys.

I have personally seen it at work. I admit to not having been aboard one. But some sure are pretty boats.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 03:02   #34

Boat: Island Packet 40

An active mind is a great help to the aging.

Two solutions to the maintenance problem; get a cup of tea and sit down and recollect all the stuff which used to bug you when you lived ashore, leaves in the guttering, pruning plants, mowing lawns, leaky taps, the neighbors dog etc. (the boats working it's way up he druthers list)

The second is to learn to allow chores to self prioritize. I used to worry about things until I learned that the two important items on a boat are hull integrity and the engine starting when you need it. Pretty well everything else can be left to self prioritize ie. you fix it when it gets to really annoy you or you really need it.

If you keep your mind active by continuously comparing the things you hated about suburban life with those you love about living afloat and making up brilliant excuses and rationalizations regarding all the un-done boat maintenance issues it will keep you from getting depressed.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2018, 05:06   #35

Boat: B24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rchido View Post
I need some help here. I am 75 and still, mostly solo, day sailing my S2 9.2. Some health issues but nothing extremely limiting. The maintenance is getting to me. I am being a wuss and avoiding the 10-15 k gusting to 20-25k days. The dreams of crossing oceans are just that. Ain’t going to happen...
Yep, I'm with ya -- and the crew that used to be available for those escapades, seems to have grayed even more... what the heck happened...
Old 25-07-2018, 06:35   #36

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Our Club in SoCal--Alamitos Bay YC--had a great remedy for aging sailors, the "OFSC" (or Old Farts Sailing Club) aka "Geritolers". Those under 65 needed not apply. The group, both male and female--and it was fairly large--met on Monday's, when the Club was otherwise officially closed, brought bag lunches and beers, and sailed a minor fleet of Opti's and El Toro dinghy's (aka "Bull Ships", hence the shovel sail emblem) out of the Club Basin and into Alamitos Bay. Handling those little boats required more skill than strength and it was amazing to see how well the old codgers did and how much laughing there was. Our Club in NoCal--Richmond YC--has a similar group although they'll allow youngsters as well, and runs a race from Sausalito YC to the St. Francis YC every year (although that can be pretty demanding and is too dam cold for me!). Sometimes a little boat is all the boat one needs, eh?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 01:42   #37

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Great thread....an inspiration.
Easy to doubt, as you get older, that you are up for it.
Recently i cajoled myself to go up the mast to do repairs. It took a few trip
to feel comfortable and now its a buzz and are happy doing it solo.
I have to remind myself of this and approach other things the same way.
Walk through it in my mind before doing it and that " i'm not up for it"
diminishes to where it should be.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 05:20   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Why not get a young gal who wants to learns to sail?

Might be fun?

At 72 a “young gal”!covers a lot of turf. And looking around, an ambulatory guy is a rare fish.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2018, 10:26   #39

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Why not get a young gal who wants to learns to sail?

Might be fun?

At 72 a “young gal”!covers a lot of turf. And looking around, an ambulatory guy is a rare fish.
Non ambulatory is not exactly the non that friends 75 kid about when speaking of young gals. Sad but true.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2018, 17:53   #40

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Before I bought our boat, I needed some experience, so I crewed for a 76-year-old gentleman on his Tanzer 22. He had one bad eye and needed some help with lines and the hank-ons. I also helped him with masting and dis-masting when it came time to launch and winterize. He was more than happy to share his time and I was equally happy for the chance to learn. Win-win.

Now what’s this about being a wuss when the wind is strong? I’m not a wuss…I’m cautious!
Old 30-07-2018, 07:06   #41

Boat: Pearson Renegade 27

Rchido,

I've had success using the "crew match" section of the local free sailing magazine, Points East. There must be one for the NY/NJ area?
Dog Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 07:07   #42
Marine Service Provider

I just turned 73 and am planning a solo circumnavigation on a 40 foot cutter. Like you, I have had some issues such as shoulder and knee replacement and I take a handfull of pills every day. But, I'm otherwise in good shape, having been a gym rat for most of my adult years. I too have difficulty doing some of the things I took for granted when I was 30, but I think I'm wiser, more patient and more cautious. Unless you are afraid of making a major mistake, my advise is to go for it. My wife thinks I'm crazy and maybe I am, but I'm going for it anyway.
Old 30-07-2018, 07:18   #43

I gotta laugh because I am 77 and just finished ASA 101 snd ASA 118. Going to take the test for ASA 103, 104, snd 105 snd celestial. If you need to sell your boat I promise to give it a good loving home . Getting old simply means you know what you should do but don’t care about the details,
rlevin73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 08:04   #44

Boat: Tayana Cutter 37 feet Night Heron

Just “celebrated” (?) my 83rd birthday. Down mostly to day sailing on my Tayana 37. Love the sailing, although I do worry about docking if single handing. Not as agile about hopping on to dock. But it’s worth it. Installed all lines-aft about 20 years ago, making sailing easy. Solid boat helps. Who knows how much more time for anything?
Reef early and often.
Harvey
hjkarten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2018, 10:08   #45

Send a message via AIM to cradlemountain

Hello Rchido on Sugaree.
I am in the same situation, with a difference, loving sailing but not owning my own sailboat but not feeling as strong as my youth. There are other sights like CrewFind which for me is an easier sight to find a boat with Captain on who not only take active young folk but seniors who can contribute to their meals, cook which is my active skill, general maintenance and helm etc. I hope always I am not usless on board but have managed to get sails in all sorts of places around the world. This is my life now, until I find my haven to settle on one boat with a man who will find paradise together is my dream. Amaisingly there are lots of boats who say 18 and over or all welcome which is where I apply. My sadness is when older men ask for women only apply between 18 and 45 and the Captain is male and 60/80. Agest attitude is a failer to see those who love sailing and can contribute with other skills. I am attempting the Inside Passage Alaska this year and have a post on 4 web sights to find my sole mate or lifetime friends I can share some sailing with in Tasmania Australia Circumnavigation every two years which is the highlight of my world downunder. I hope the best wishes for you to share and love what you do, don't give up. Sarah
cradlemountain is offline   Reply With Quote