Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 11:31   #16

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'
Re: Time from Sandy Hook NJ to Baltimore by Sailboat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
ZSTINE
TOM F
ARMYDAVENY
SUIJIN
SYMPHONY
ARTHUR WATSON 1

Thank you ALL for adding good tips and information and local knowledge based on your experience and thinking on the topic. I do appreciate each of you took the time to add something good to the mix, whether it was a detailed response or a short one.

I (and others reading this thread) will be better informed and prepared because you helped today on CF.

Fair winds to you ALL and I hope I get to sail with you someday.
Good luck with your future trip. It is a great trip as I and others have mentioned. If you are ever in town, give me a yell and we'll go out and about the harbours, the rivers, and the sound.

If you would like to see photos of the trip, you can look me up on anti-social media (Facebook or Google+) I have the photos from the trip on both. Look for Dave Borgioli (It might be David. My sister created the account without me knowing and then told me I was on FB!). The profile photo is of me in a green golf ****, sunglasses and cap behind the wheel of my Dufour Safari. Oh yes, the trip is called NY to Deale, MD. There are too many photos since I just uploaded them en-masse and haven't edited them yet. I still have other trips I have yet to upload, so I guess this is progress.

Cheers.

Dave
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 13:28   #17

Boat: Hans Christian 4750

Friends made Sandy Hook to C&D entrance in 33 hours, in a Cal 39. Obviously tide/weather/boat size and speed dependent. Cape May Canal cuts off time - I believe the air draft is 55' or 58'. Check that. if your mast height allows, it's a better way to go. Head around the Hook and stay 3 miles off, you should have no problem, other than commercial fishing boats crossing, which do not give way in my experience.

Not sure on timing from C&D to Baltimore.

Airport options:

1) Newark Liberty (EWR) then use Uber.

2) La Guardia (LGA) then taxi/Uber to 35 St. Seaport, and then take the Sea Streak ferry to Atlantic Highlands marina. Check Sea Streak website for times/fares.
ztsf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 04:43   #18

Boat: Valiant 40

FYI there is an inshore shortcut through the shoals at the mouth of the Delaware if you end up not cutting inside for any reason. A close look at the charts will reveal it. Otherwise stay well outside the shoals which are constantly shifting sands.

If you're making this trip when it's warm and over a weekend I'd suggest passing up Chesapeake City. The anchorage is tiny and will be absolutely packed, and it's a bit like the Wild West with music and and motorcycles going late into the night, not to mention the constant drone of dinghys piloted by drunk boat owners who can't find their boats...
Old 08-06-2017, 05:42   #19

A bit of caution - the trip up Delaware Bay from Cape May to the C&D canal is about 50 miles. Okay, fine.

Problem is that tidal currents can exceed 2 knots in some spots and the bay itself is shallow with few easily accessible safe harbors. You would do well to pay close attention to the weather and time your trip accordingly as the potential exists for some nasty wind against current driven chop.

Safe trip. have fun!
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 06:23   #20

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by arthur.watson.1 View Post
I hope you'll add 2 days as a safety margin and not schedule yourself too tightly.
Excellent advice. I don't schedule homeward travel until I can see the dock at my destination. Not ever.

I won my bid for a delivery from Atlantic Highlands (Sandy Hook) to Annapolis. Crew call will be out shortly.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
baltimore, boat, sail, sailboat