Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2011, 04:29   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname

OK I am sure we are saying the same here, just in different ways .
My point is that almost all binoculars and not just some expensive ones have adjustment for near / far sightedness so that unless one needs spectacles for other reasons (eg astigmatism), then almost all can be used by spectacle wearers providing they are happy to remove their glasses each time they use the binoculars.

Therapy (and I) makes the point that the so called long eye relief models rarely seem to be "long enough". While I am sure some exist, the dozens of units I have tried, have never allowed a full field of view while wearing my glasses.

I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually owned (or used) say a pair of 7 x 50's that give sufficient eye relief so one gets a full field of view when using them in conjunction with spectacles (or sunglasses).
What I said was there is, almost always, a difference with the focus distance for each eye for each individual. The adjustment you mentioned adjusts for this difference so that when you turn the center focus wheel the focus will be sharp for both eyes. Again, I ask that you Google "How to focus binoculars" for full instructions.
Knottysailorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 08:21   #77
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Time for New Binoculars - Any Recommendations ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
OK I am sure we are saying the same here, just in different ways ......
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knottysailorboy View Post
What I said was there is, almost always, a difference with the focus distance for each eye for each individual. The adjustment you mentioned adjusts for this difference so that when you turn the center focus wheel the focus will be sharp for both eyes.
Well, I was wrong, we are not saying the same thing after all.

While I agree with your assertion quoted above, I am adding that this is not the only function this adjustment is used for. I assert that in combination with the usual centre focus adjustment, the individual eye piece adjustment allows for correction of near or far sightedness of both eyes. Therefore I disagree that your post
Quote:
Some of the more expensive ones have diopter adjustment on the eyepieces (+/- 3 diopters) so you can use them without glasses on, provided your eyes are not too bad.
as I believe it is factually incorrect. I assert that these features are found on almost very pair of binoculars, not just expensive ones. If you can explain where I am wrong, I will be happy to stand corrected. Please note the only reason to argue this point of difference is so others can be fully informed as to the facts of binoculars rather than just opinions (mine or yours).

Quote:
Again, I ask that you Google "How to focus binoculars" for full instructions.
I understand that you are wanting to be helpful especially as you have no way of knowing of my experience so this is a good a time as any to say that I have some background in using a variety of optics. Ex professional photographer (Canon, Nikon, Lecia optics), ex bench rest marksman and hunter (Leupold optics), and an amateur user (and owner) of Nikon, Bushnell, Tasco, Zeiss and several "no brand" binoculars so I am confident I can correctly focus my optics. However I am not an optic designer so I realize I still have much to learn and if you can enlighten me, so much the better.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 10:44   #78

How can it correct for both eyes if it is only on the right eye piece? It is to correct for the difference in your eyes. Only the center focus wheel focuses both sides simultaneously.
Old 09-10-2011, 14:26   #79

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has actually owned (or used) say a pair of 7 x 50's that give sufficient eye relief so one gets a full field of view when using them in conjunction with spectacles (or sunglasses).
ME TOO!
Old 09-10-2011, 14:35   #80

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
How can it correct for both eyes if it is only on the right eye piece? It is to correct for the difference in your eyes. Only the center focus wheel focuses both sides simultaneously.

Because you focus one eye with the main focus wheel first. That takes care of that eye.

Then you use the eyepiece focus to bring the other eye into focus. That takes care of that eye.

Now both eyes see a focused image.

Now you look at the markings on the eyepiece and remember it so when you pick up another (properly loaned of course ) you just set the adjustable eyepiece to your needed + or - setting and you are good to go.

PS. None of this focusing discussion has anything to do with how much of the field one can see while wearing a pair of glasses. I know how to focus them with or without my glasses. I want to see the whole image. Know of anybody that has one?
Old 09-10-2011, 16:41   #81

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Because you focus one eye with the main focus wheel first. That takes care of that eye.

Then you use the eyepiece focus to bring the other eye into focus. That takes care of that eye.

Now both eyes see a focused image..............
While Therapy has explained how it corrects for both eyes, I feel that it is important in this instance to expand this by adding a "proof".

Take a single pair of binoculars and two people with a known difference in eyesight (say one nearsighted and the other either normal or farsighted). Using only the side that does not have an adjustable eyepiece, have one person focus on a nearby object (about 50 yards or so) using the centre focusing wheel. Then have the other person focus on the same object. If the second person has to move the centre focus wheel, then it proves that the centre focus wheel has corrected for the differences between eyes of each person (one side only of course), QED

Now the other side can be adjusted just by using the adjustable eyepiece in the normal manner.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 09-10-2011, 17:54   #82

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39

I have had a pair of the Fujinon Polaris with the compass now for more than 30 years, tens of thousands of sea miles, and they still function perfectly, are amazingly bright, and sharp as a tack. Impressed with the quality I also sprang for a pair of the stabilized 14x Fuji's a few years ago. I found them to be awesome as well until at just past a year old they received a modest (and I do mean modest - as in within normal careful use) bump whereupon the internal stabilizing mechanism broke. I should also say that these are obviously delicate equipment, I kept them in the padded box unless needed for a specific purpose, and treated them with the same care I give to the expensive Canon stabilized lenses on my digital SLR, all of which have been used far more without any damage. As it turns out, the US repair facility is not far from my house, so I hand delivered them and ( as they were just out of warranty) paid for the repair. The next trip out they broke again, with not even a bump to attribute cause this time. Fujinon did not respond to repeated attempts at contact and I finally gave up in disgust. I now have a really nice yellow waterproof case to put something in if need arises as the stabalized binoculars have been consigned to the trash can where they belonged.

As a professional mariner, I can highly recommend stabilized binoculars for any use up to and including looking at the moon in your back yard.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 01:15   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by squarerigger View Post
I have had a pair of the Fujinon Polaris with the compass now for more than 30 years, tens of thousands of sea miles, and they still function perfectly, are amazingly bright, and sharp as a tack. Impressed with the quality I also sprang for a pair of the stabilized 14x Fuji's a few years ago. I found them to be awesome as well until at just past a year old they received a modest (and I do mean modest - as in within normal careful use) bump whereupon the internal stabilizing mechanism broke. I should also say that these are obviously delicate equipment, I kept them in the padded box unless needed for a specific purpose, and treated them with the same care I give to the expensive Canon stabilized lenses on my digital SLR, all of which have been used far more without any damage. As it turns out, the US repair facility is not far from my house, so I hand delivered them and ( as they were just out of warranty) paid for the repair. The next trip out they broke again, with not even a bump to attribute cause this time. Fujinon did not respond to repeated attempts at contact and I finally gave up in disgust. I now have a really nice yellow waterproof case to put something in if need arises as the stabalized binoculars have been consigned to the trash can where they belonged.

As a professional mariner, I can highly recommend stabilized binoculars for any use up to and including looking at the moon in your back yard.
Very interesting. This is the first negative report I have heard about the Fujinon stabilized units. Some of the local airborne SAR guys used to have Canon stabilized units but found the stabilization mechanisms broke regularly and they switched to Fujinon where they had a better success rate. Perhaps they also learnt to be more careful!
Old 10-10-2011, 01:44   #84

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

Quote:
I am currently using my Fujinon 7x50 FMTRC-SX glasses almost every day for the last six months with prescription Ray-Ban Aviator glasses...how's that!! On the overnight passages I use them without the sun glasses.

Because of the large exit aperture you absolutely get the full field of view with the glasses. They are designed to work with glasses as well as without. They are a beautiful handful of precision optics.
LakeSuperior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 02:19   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
I am currently using my Fujinon 7x50 FMTRC-SX glasses almost every day for the last six months with prescription Ray-Ban Aviator glasses...how's that!! On the overnight passages I use them without the sun glasses.

Because of the large exit aperture you absolutely get the full field of view with the glasses. They are designed to work with glasses as well as without. They are a beautiful handful of precision optics.
Excellent, thanks for posting. Looking at the specs I see the eye relief is an impressive 23 mm and I have just found this interesting link (even if a little old) reviewing this unit's older cousin FMT-SX. IMO, it makes good reading.
Review: 7x50 Miyauchi Binon vs. Fujinon FMT-SX vs. Tasco No. 124
Old 10-10-2011, 02:23   #86

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Look for binoculars with long eye relief if you want to use them with glasses. The eye relief (in mm) should be listed in the specs.
Some binoculars have a way to adjust the eye relief. Usually by simply adjusting the eyepiece.
Both center focus binoculars and individual focusing binoculars can be adjusted for differences between the eyes, or for moderate degrees of long or short slightness. They cannot be adjusted to correct for astigmatism (many people that are short or longsighted also have some astigmatism).
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 04:35   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname
Very interesting. This is the first negative report I have heard about the Fujinon stabilized units. Some of the local airborne SAR guys used to have Canon stabilized units but found the stabilization mechanisms broke regularly and they switched to Fujinon where they had a better success rate. Perhaps they also learnt to be more careful!
I have never had any reason to use image stabilized binoculars, because all of mine are 8x or less magnification with large objective lenses, so I can't comment on the ruggedness of their systems. I do have a camera (Olympus) with stabilization built-in the camera body (not the lenses) and it seems fairly rugged. Stabilization is only really necessary at higher magnifications (more than 8x), I think. I have used unstabilized zoom binoculars that went up to 15x and they were difficult to hold steady at high magnification. Combine that with the pitching motion of a boat and it is easy to see how stabilization would be beneficial.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:51   #88

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post

That is what I need to know.

Thanks for the info.

Will look into them.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:52   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
Look for binoculars with long eye relief if you want to use them with glasses. The eye relief (in mm) should be listed in the specs.

They cannot be adjusted to correct for astigmatism (many people that are short or longsighted also have some astigmatism).
Uhhuh.

And that is why we need the ones that will work with glasses.