Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2011, 20:44   #31

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Time for New Binoculars - Any Recommendations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The higher magnification for me is not to see things further away, it is to see things at a moderate distance larger. Light gathering and heat shimmer are not really a concern.

The stability is to make it possible to read the numbers on channel markers and buoys. In even moderate conditions with even 7 X binoculars I find I can read the numbers almost as soon by eye as I can with the binoculars. With stabilization you can see those numbers much further away. Makes navigating a lot easier in areas with crossing channels and multiple channel markers.
Thanks, good comments that make some sort of sense to me.
Old 12-08-2011, 21:14   #32

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

I have had very good service from the Fujinon stabilized binoculars:

Fujinon 14x40mm Techno-Stabi Binoculars w/Waterproof & Shockproof Case - Binoculars at Binoculars

with the exception that they do go through batteries quickly if you are using the stabilization feature. I have become used to using them without the stabilization on, can still see and discern...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 21:19   #33

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

The stabilized binoculars are also great for making out range lights on ships to get that nice "on the ground" visual confirmation of how they travel with respect to you.

Time line: have had them for eight years. Down to about $120 per year and decreasing...

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 21:36   #34

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I have a number of binoculars aboard, from 4 x 30 Bushnell birding glasses picked up at a yard sale for 10 bucks to 7 x 35 Tascos I let my son drop to two pair of post-war Kurt Muller binoculars, one 10 x 35 and the other 10 x 50 I use because I strongly suspect they are Zeiss lenses, as the colour is very true.

I would have to say I use the birding glasses and the 10 x 35 Mullers the most, the first to vaguely spot a nav aid in the mist 1.5 NM away, and the second to read the numbers 0.5 NM away. The 10 x 50s are simply too strong (and therefore shaky) to use unless I can brace my arms on the pilothouse roof.

I think for offshore I would favour the Steiner Commander V model, because I've used them on other boats and I don't feel image stabilization is necessary for those used to working with binoculars in a pilotage context. YMMV!
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 01:56   #35

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I think for offshore I would favour the Steiner Commander V model, because I've used them on other boats and I don't feel image stabilization is necessary for those used to working with binoculars in a pilotage context. YMMV!
Many of you are saying, that you dont feel like you need stabilization, then i have to ask have you tryed a par out. ?
it is a new world. you can se things you did not se befor and a lot sooner.
i use my cheep 7 x 50 al the time, but when i need to make sure what colures a bouy has or whats on the sign, boat name, i bring out theCanon 18 x 50 IS and use them with stabilization, they a very good, and batterilife, well, i still have my org. batteries from 2007, but i think afther 6 weeks in the boat this summer, they will be changed.
The thing is that they are a bit more heavy then normal once, just above 1 kg. But again i dont use them all the time, only when needed.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 02:35   #36

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'

I bought a Fujinon with compass 8 years ago. Took good care of them and didn't leave them baking in the sun.

Two years ago something broke loose inside. I sent them back and they sent me a brand new pair.

The large eye relief on the exit apertures is great for using with sun glasses or regular glasses.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 09:55   #37

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

I'm not against stabilization and have in fact tried out a pair of Fujinons.

I'm just not convinced that the price difference is worth it when I am already going to have a full slate of AIS, radar, fluxgate compass, two types of charting/plotting and so on.

I also am fitting out a steel pilothouse motorsailer. It's generally a significantly more stable platform than my FG racer. I've noticed that it's a lot easier to take sextant shots, for instance.

I can see that in certain situations it would be a useful thing to have, so if the price moderates, so will my reluctance to go that route.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-08-2011, 10:42   #38

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

We have a alrge pair of Fujinon with the bearing compass they work Awesome, not stabilizied but still work Great in a rough sea. We also have a pair of Leupold gold rings, they are smaller compact and light, and have great low light transmission. They have the same optics as the 500. pair but only cost 100. due to a less fancy name lol.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 03:43   #39

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Is it really the case that you can read letters, etc with 12x or 15x with stabilisation on a bouncing boat?
Only Canon seem to be available in Ireland and you have to go up to 15x50 to get "all weather" which makes them seriously expensive!
How important is it to get all weather?
Thanks
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 05:44   #40

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka

its nice to know that it can take some rain, when you forget it on the outside.
And i did buy mine from the USA, cheepest place for me to buy them from.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:06   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srah 1953 View Post
Is it really the case that you can read letters, etc with 12x or 15x with stabilization on a bouncing boat?
Only Canon seem to be available in Ireland and you have to go up to 15x50 to get "all weather" which makes them seriously expensive!
How important is it to get all weather?
Thanks
I bought my wife a set of Canon 10X stabilized binoculars to use for bird watching (maybe if I ask her very nicely and promise to keep them dry she might let me borrow them occasionally to use on the boat).

Even standing on my back porch, which is a bit more steady than my boat, looking at the street sign down the block I cannot easily read the words. The view is nice and sharp but even on land there is enough movement to make it difficult to read the words. When I push the stabilizer button there it is. On a boat under way the difference is even more dramatic.

12 or 15 X magnification would be nice but even the 10 makes a big difference.

Weather proof would be great but out of my budget for now. We just make it a point to be very careful to keep these dry and never, never set them down anywhere except in the case. Like the ophthalmologist told me when I scratched a new pair of glasses, on the face or in the case (yes I felt like a 12 year old getting instructions from mom but it got the point across).
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 06:46   #42

Stabilized binoculars are one of those things you never give up once you've tried them.

I carefully compared the Canon and the Fujinons. Both great glasses but I thought the Fujinon optics were substantially better. Detail like buoy numbers or a boat's name on a distant transome is crisper than any binoculars I've ever owed. The Fujinon 12x32 "Juniors" are considerably cheaper that the 14x40 and it's what I bought.

Fujinon Techno-Stabi Jr. Binoculars

For night and really wet weather, I also have a pair of old 7x50's (Zeiss I think) that I got on Ebay for less than $100. Makes me feel like I'm in a WWII movie.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 07:53   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
I hav a set of Canon Stabilized binos.... They are the shiz. Not cheap, but when you need to see, you need to see!
eBay has these for a grand, includes free shipping
martinjrichter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 09:59   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Stabilized binoculars are one of those things you never give up once you've tried them.

I carefully compared the Canon and the Fujinons. Both great glasses but I thought the Fujinon optics were substantially better. Detail like buoy numbers or a boat's name on a distant transome is crisper than any binoculars I've ever owed. The Fujinon 12x32 "Juniors" are considerably cheaper that the 14x40 and it's what I bought.

Fujinon Techno-Stabi Jr. Binoculars

For night and really wet weather, I also have a pair of old 7x50's (Zeiss I think) that I got on Ebay for less than $100. Makes me feel like I'm in a WWII movie.

Carl
From many reports I've heard and read the Fujis are better. But I got a set of Canon 10X for less than half the Fuji 12X. If budget is a factor the Canons work pretty well.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2011, 10:45   #45

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinjrichter View Post
eBay has these for a grand, includes free shipping
The problem about buying these abroad is that they will be Fedexed in and irish customs will slap heavy duties on them so I won't really know the final cost. I did this once with a small handheld chartplotter, thinking I was saving money, but didn't in reality.
Also, it would seem desirable to handle them before buying to make sure that they work for me and my eyeglasses.
Cheers
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote