Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2013, 15:38   #121
Registered User
 
mikepmtl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 171
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

There is a Moody 43 at the yard right now that lost his rudder in the ICW. It tore a huge hole in the boat. When they tried to drag it off the sand bar it started filling up very quickly. They had to get several pumps on board and to get her to a lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1331.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	425.2 KB
ID:	62706  
__________________

__________________
Cruising southern Florida and the Bahamas
S/V Bonaroo
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 393 Clipper
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:45   #122
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,317
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
User ignore.

that's a good use of time while hove to, work on your ignore list
__________________

__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:45   #123
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepmtl View Post
There is a Moody 43 at the yard right now that lost his rudder in the ICW. It tore a huge hole in the boat. When they tried to drag it off the sand bar it started filling up very quickly. They had to get several pumps on board and to get her to a lift.

YOWSA! Where on the ICW, and what did she draw? (I can see what she draws now ... )
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:48   #124
Senior Cruiser
 
Therapy's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: W Florida
Boat: The Jon boat still, plus a 2007 SeaCat.
Posts: 6,894
Images: 4
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

OH GAWD!

The poster with the cruise ship chairs flying was most likely in a Microburst. IMO. More likely than a tornado.

Lots of thunderstorms in FL in the summertime. Lots. Not that many tornadoes really.

Summer sailing in West FL sucks. Is it better on the East coast OP? Here (West FL) it is farkin' hot with no wind and high humidity. Then the land breeze starts - ahhh - that feels good. Then the thunderstorms can come. But I have been awake and watching them for a long time. "Popping up in 10 minutes" is pure horse schnit. So is them coming at you at 30mph.

If you have to have one go by where you are then do a few (or all, or just one) of the suggestions here. Whatever. Then you can go back before dark.

If you are going to stay out it is great as most the "regular" afternoon "summer pattern" storms move West, hit the coast and just die right there. They just die. Fun to watch. Great for pictures while you sit in little or no wind sweating.

I have been watching this schnit for 40 years.

To the OP -

Reef down and prepare the boat. After a few of them you can learn to read them a little. Kinda like picking a fight - Just how big and just how wide is that dude anyway??
You have been awake and watching it form right?

I am jealous of those with radar. Have only been on one boat with it. Had lots of knobs and things.
__________________
Who knows what is next.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 15:50   #125
Registered User
 
mikepmtl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 171
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Not sure what she draws. But I would guess about 5'-6'.

It was somewhere near Ponce Inlet.

I grounded big time as well at Ponce Inlet last year trying to avoid the boat that was dredging the entrance!!!!

My rudder got buried in the sand very quickly and really made me uneasy. I manage to bounce her off with the waves after emptying all the water tanks and lowering the dingy and putting the anchors out. Not fun at all. A good 2 hour ordeal overall.
__________________
Cruising southern Florida and the Bahamas
S/V Bonaroo
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 393 Clipper
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:15   #126
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston Area
Boat: Beneteau 423
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlev00 View Post
Sorry if it's already been mentioned but don't forget about the boom vang (aka kicker). In addition to letting the main out, if you happen to have a sail up, release the vang. I was a crew on a J144 that got hit be 60 knot squall. The main was down to the equivalent of a 3rd reef. The boat heeled way over and boom was dragging in the water. I let the vang off and boom came up out of the water. The main flogged pretty hard but the boat came back under relative control. We bore off and had a hell of a ride.
I should clarify my post. The winds were 60 kts and it was from a frontal system, not a pop-up thunderstorm.
__________________
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:19   #127
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,062
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
SailfastTri,
In any event, "screaming" in bold type at the folks who are not seated near their computers must be a waste of time?

Ann
Sorry Ann

I thought all-caps is screaming. Italics is differentiated text for emphasis, and bold or bolt-italics is emphasis for those who are visually-impaired because they read on smartphones.

Will try to tone it down, but honestly those people who say thunderstorms are merely occasions to break out the bucket and brush haven't really been in a storm, or they're BS-ing with hubris. JMHO. They remind me of Captain Walbridge of The Bounty.
"In an August video interview with Belfast (Maine) Community TV, Walbridge told a reporter, “We say there’s no such thing as bad weather. There are just different kinds of weather.” He went on to explain: “We chase hurricanes. You try to get up as close to the eye of it as you can, and you stay down in the southeast quadrant. When it stops, you stop. You don’t want to get out in front of it. You want to stay behind it, but you also get a pretty good ride out of it.”

How well did that strategy turn out? See article in following link, look for quote about "jousting with hurricanes". The Loss of the Bounty

PS: Note constructive use of italics
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:23   #128
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
OH GAWD!

The poster with the cruise ship chairs flying was most likely in a Microburst. IMO. More likely than a tornado.

Lots of thunderstorms in FL in the summertime. Lots. Not that many tornadoes really.

Summer sailing in West FL sucks. Is it better on the East coast OP? Here (West FL) it is farkin' hot with no wind and high humidity. Then the land breeze starts - ahhh - that feels good. Then the thunderstorms can come. But I have been awake and watching them for a long time. "Popping up in 10 minutes" is pure horse schnit. So is them coming at you at 30mph.

If you have to have one go by where you are then do a few (or all, or just one) of the suggestions here. Whatever. Then you can go back before dark.

If you are going to stay out it is great as most the "regular" afternoon "summer pattern" storms move West, hit the coast and just die right there. They just die. Fun to watch. Great for pictures while you sit in little or no wind sweating.

I have been watching this schnit for 40 years.

To the OP -

Reef down and prepare the boat. After a few of them you can learn to read them a little. Kinda like picking a fight - Just how big and just how wide is that dude anyway??
You have been awake and watching it form right?

I am jealous of those with radar. Have only been on one boat with it. Had lots of knobs and things.

You're right. Could have been a microburst.
__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 16:51   #129
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,062
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Just to add to my prior post: the main point is that hubris is a dangerous attitude, when it comes to storms. Just because they're small in area or of short duration, doesn't mean they're not dangerous.
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:14   #130
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Bradenton Fl
Boat: Colvin
Posts: 4
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

I have been stuck like that a bunch of times. First of all reef if ya can, you will have plenty of time. The wind will shift just before the rain, it will be cool and refreshing. The storm will not last long enough for the seas to build to any great size so don't worry bout that. Oh and there is that pesky lightning that is going to scare the living hell out of you.
Let me say at this point that I have been sailing off the coast of Florida for over 40 years and I have NOT been hit. (Knock on wood)
__________________
theoldsurfdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 17:15   #131
Registered User
 
Snore's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: www.USCGMaster.com
Boat: Tartan 33
Posts: 1,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Just to add to my prior post: the main point is that hubris is a dangerous attitude, when it comes to storms. Just because they're small in area or of short duration, doesn't mean they're not dangerous.
+1. Well said, tried to make that point a few pages back...
__________________
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ismael ---- NEW website! www.USCGMaster.com
Snore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:00   #132
Registered User
 
cfarrar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklin, Maine U.S.A
Boat: Allures 44
Posts: 734
Images: 2
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Some folks have discussed reefing and various methods to depower the sails. That's fine for your basic tropical squall or smallish area thunderstorm. However, if it's frontal, or even an area of storms that coalesces into a line, or if there's a dark roll cloud or other nastiness, I drop the main, lash it down, and reduce the jib to a tiny scrap at best. I start the engine and head downwind.

I'd hate for anyone to be under the misunderstanding that if they simply take a reef or two then they can handle any thunderstorm that comes their way. Their first 60 knot gust front will be a rude wake-up call.
__________________
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:03   #133
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Boston Area
Boat: Beneteau 423
Posts: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Some folks have discussed reefing and various methods to depower the sails. That's fine for your basic tropical squall or smallish area thunderstorm. However, if it's frontal, or even an area of storms that coalesces into a line, or if there's a dark roll cloud or other nastiness, I drop the main, lash it down, and reduce the jib to a tiny scrap at best. I start the engine and head downwind.

I'd hate for anyone to be under the misunderstanding that if they simply take a reef or two then they can handle any thunderstorm that comes their way. Their first 60 knot gust front will be a rude wake-up call.
+1 a very humbling experience.
__________________
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:03   #134
Registered User
 
mikepmtl's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Posts: 171
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

I agree. I want almost no sail at all in those storms. Once it hits you, it's not time to be trying to reef a sail anymore.
__________________
Cruising southern Florida and the Bahamas
S/V Bonaroo
2005 Beneteau Oceanis 393 Clipper
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2013, 19:04   #135
cruiser

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tampa Bay area
Boat: Hunter 31'
Posts: 5,731
Re: Thunderstorm While Coastal Cruising. What do you do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Some folks have discussed reefing and various methods to depower the sails. That's fine for your basic tropical squall or smallish area thunderstorm. However, if it's frontal, or even an area of storms that coalesces into a line, or if there's a dark roll cloud or other nastiness, I drop the main, lash it down, and reduce the jib to a tiny scrap at best. I start the engine and head downwind.

I'd hate for anyone to be under the misunderstanding that if they simply take a reef or two then they can handle any thunderstorm that comes their way. Their first 60 knot gust front will be a rude wake-up call.

Serious question here: my boat is markedly bow-tender and has a lot of freeboard. Would it be likely that I would need a little more headsail than a boat that was less tender/responsive to wind? Just in case.

I've seen such a storm but not been in it myself.
__________________

__________________
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coastal cruising in India Connemara Indian Ocean & Red Sea 14 07-07-2013 12:29
The Real Lifonomics of Sailing / Cruising drew.ward Boat Ownership & Making a Living 35 23-08-2012 23:08
Free: crew needed now for coastal cruising south from augustine Hutaw Classifieds Archive 0 13-12-2011 12:07
For Sale: VHFs, Offshore Medical Kit, Cruising Guides, Chart Cards, etc. svdreamkeeper Classifieds Archive 0 04-12-2011 18:10
For Sale: Cruising Guides and Sailing Resource Books svdreamkeeper Classifieds Archive 3 23-11-2011 12:24



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 19:01.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.