Great thread- thanks- so much info so let me be more specific especially for the east coast
I am headed south from ft pierce or palm beach or port Everglades, my destination
is an anchorage sheltered off Virginia key or key Biscayne. It is not the heavy daily July-September predictable afternoon thunderstorm season....it is march or April. As you know, once you leave,say port Everglades there is no where to duck in until government
cut/Miami. So, I am out in the ocean for a 5 hour window. I am sailing 3-5 miles off the coast but not in the Stream. The forecast calls for possible late day scattered thunderstorms some severe. I decide to leave early in the morning figuring to beat the Florida scattered storms forecast.
So I leave early but a storm heads from the west inland towards me off the east coast
. The water
is too deep to anchor
and heaving to will have me have too much sail up. What actions should I take to keep my crew safe? I have a wheel
not a tiller and I do not have an auto pilot. I have to stay at the helm
Do I drop sails
south or turn east into the wind? do I turn west with the storm and wind up in the Gulf Stream? What heading should I keep to hold fast until the storm passes?
Thanks-really appreciate it
I'm thinking I should turn on the engine
and drop sails
and secure everything- close the boat up and tether in and hold on for a possible near knock down if a microburst hits at 70k. I am just not sure what is the best heading to keep in that specific scenario.
Or, for that matter if I am heading north from Biscayne bay and am sailing further out in the Stream to pick up extra speed on my way to port Everglades or palm beach or ft pierce.
Which heading would you maintain?