Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-12-2012, 19:27   #16

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Re: This Made Me Sad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I think this confirms a now-long-standing theory of mine that bare hulls are not worth much. I suspect (but haven't yet proven) that attempting to recycle old sailboat hulls is more expensive than simply building a new one.

Fiberglass hulls are "relatively" new in the world, and we are likely just entering the time where the availability of scrap hulls will reach epidemic levels. Someone will find a way to recycle these things in way that is economical when put in combination with anti-dumping mandates that make it expensive to not recycle them.

Unfortunately, that will also increase the regulations on boat owners who are responsible for their moored boats
I dunno, I met these guys at Strictly Sail - Chicago a couple of years ago, they do really good work on old boats no one wants any longer and turned it into a pretty good business.

Second Wind Sailing-Your Premier Sailboat Refit Center www.secondwindsailing.com

Their business plan is simple, restore an old boat they get cheap or free, slap a "classic" title on it and wait for well heeled person to chance by, sell at a profit.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:36   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

I dunno...it's still a used boat rebuilt with new parts that are now severely depreciated in a buyers market. I don't know how one could recover the depreciation expense losses by starting with a bare hull.

Buying a used boat where 100% of the parts whose depreciation expense has already been paid for by someone else seems like the better deal.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 19:51   #18

Boat: Franz Maas 37

Despite whatever its history may have been, the boat was pretty well buggered and needed to be trashed. Methinks you may have had a lungfull of weedypuff, when you were contemplating the end of this little barge.
Old 04-12-2012, 20:24   #19

Boat: Beneteau 473
I kind of agree with BlackOak, it is kind of sad. Our boat has been hauled and as we drove through the boat yard to get to her today we saw many boats that have been neglected for years, some obviously abandoned. It made me wonder what kind of person would desert their boat like that. Yes it was sentimental and emotional, but that is what I thought and I just could not imagine leaving Smart Move in some yard to deteriorate and walk away from her for forever.
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. JEAN LUC PICARD, Captain of the Starship Enterprise
SmartMove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 21:24   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

There are many neglected things in the world, homes, cars, trucks, motorcycles, kids, seniors, wives, the environment and boats. To me it is sad that we don't consider ourselves lucky to have all these things and are not responsible enough to take care of the things we believe are ours.
kind regards,
Old 04-12-2012, 21:35   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable

The problem is that a fiberglass hull and deck lasts a long, long time. But almost everything else on a boat doesn't. And the hulle and deck are probably only about 10 or 15% of the total cost of a boat. So when a boat is old and neglected, the hull and deck makes you think that it should be saved, but the reality is that almost everything else needs replacing, and that is probably gonna cost more than 3/4 of the cost of a brand new boat...
Old 04-12-2012, 21:38   #22

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmartMove View Post
I kind of agree with BlackOak, it is kind of sad. Our boat has been hauled and as we drove through the boat yard to get to her today we saw many boats that have been neglected for years, some obviously abandoned. It made me wonder what kind of person would desert their boat like that. Yes it was sentimental and emotional, but that is what I thought and I just could not imagine leaving Smart Move in some yard to deteriorate and walk away from her for forever.

The same thing happened to me with a fiberglass airplane. Fast, beautiful, and cheap to operate it was a terrible shame. Now, after 10 years, I am just beginning to find the right "stuff" to address the issues and get her back in the air. That failure on my part has cost me probably $50,000.

I credit my involvement with THIS group in helping me overcome my barriers in being able to take care of that airplane - as you can imagine, there are many similarities between a fiberglass airplane and a boat - in fact, this particular plane is referred to as a "boat" while it is in construction - until the wings and engine are attached.

It's an unpleasant, costly, and wholly avoidable scenario if only the person getting involved with it could have been aware of the unexpected challenges they would face.
Old 04-12-2012, 21:56   #23

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass
Aluminium can be completely recycled

PS Sorry, I couldn't resist, I have a wicked streak
Then there is hope for this someday.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3516065870.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	50722  
Old 04-12-2012, 22:04   #24

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Seven years abandoned, anything of value is lost, stolen, rusted, corroded, rotted, outdated, unwanted. No functional marina would wait that long. One year of no payments most places, and the boat is stored on the hard behind a fence, till title changes from abandon, and then it is gone quick. 7 years? Cut It Out. What sailboat would be afloat 100% neglected for 7 years? No hurricanes in your area 7 years? Another story does not pass the smell test.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:31   #25
Armchair Bucketeer

Notwithstanding that likely she was a POS - nonetheless a certain sadness to the demise of a boat, if only for the memories and dreams lost.

In regard to a fibreglass hull, just because the hull and deck still exists does not in itself mean that it is still any good, even without core issues - lots of scope for "minor" stuff like bulkheads and hull joints / keels to have developed issues that put them far beyond the scope of being economically viable to restore........even before getting to the other 90% that needs replacing or fixing!

Likely that "your" boat (and mine) will one day meet the same fate.........
Old 05-12-2012, 06:03   #26
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

time to get over the sadness and focus on the joy

- an eye sore removed
- an potential environmental issue corrected
- a new spot in the harbor for someone who actually wants to use their boat
- new replacement boaters paying local taxes so others aren't making up the slack
- more customers to keep the local businesses going
- new boater in the old spot to help keep an eye on the area
- probably less slapping halyard etc
- less bird poop odor
- less anger from the locals pissed about the POS out in "their" water
Old 05-12-2012, 06:14   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Wooden boats are recyclicable, todays Hereschoff (sp?), tomorrows diesel fuel.
Old 05-12-2012, 06:54   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
time to get over the sadness and focus on the joy...
Exactly. This is a good thing. A boat gets to that condition and the best thing for it is to be cut up and scrapped. Nothing at all to be sad about.

The only unfortunate thing here is that the previous owner didn't sell it or scrap it himself. Instead he forced the taxpayers to spend the time and money to take care of his responsibilities for him.
Old 05-12-2012, 15:41   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Seven years abandoned, anything of value is lost, stolen, rusted, corroded, rotted, outdated, unwanted. No functional marina would wait that long. One year of no payments most places, and the boat is stored on the hard behind a fence, till title changes from abandon, and then it is gone quick. 7 years? Cut It Out. What sailboat would be afloat 100% neglected for 7 years? No hurricanes in your area 7 years? Another story does not pass the smell test.
There's an old ferro boat moored in Lake Macquarie that hasn't moved in at least 10 years. I've never seen anyone go near it. Don't know how or why it's still afloat, (the weight of bird droppings alone must be close to sinking it) but it is.

Now THIS is sad:
Old 05-12-2012, 16:14   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
I think this confirms a now-long-standing theory of mine that bare hulls are not worth much. I suspect (but haven't yet proven) that attempting to recycle old sailboat hulls is more expensive than simply building a new one.

Fiberglass hulls are "relatively" new in the world, and we are likely just entering the time where the availability of scrap hulls will reach epidemic levels. Someone will find a way to recycle these things in way that is economical when put in combination with anti-dumping mandates that make it expensive to not recycle them.

Unfortunately, that will also increase the regulations on boat owners who are responsible for their moored boats

Someone is already having a go at recycling fiberglass boats.......but I think virgin material is still cheaper than their offerings.

AFBG Makes Progress on Boat Recycling Partnership | americanfibergreenproducts.com

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: