Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 09:23   #1

Boat: Leopard L38
Thinking of getting rid of 1 cell phone

I am trying to reduce costs while living aboard. How many couples while cruising only use 1 cell phone? It would save me around $75 a month on my current AT&T plan..
Phisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 09:33   #2

Boat: Alberg #0
Re: Thinking of getting rid of 1 cell phone

You could setup google voice to give you a free second number so you'd know who should pick up the phone based upon ringtone and each have a separate voicemail account. I think it could work. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 12:05   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

When we took of we had a "burner" phone in the US, the reluctantly bought an unlocked phone in Belize. No need for phone(s) most times.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 13:26   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Reduce costs by buying local data only Sim cards. Then phone worldwide with Skype, Whatsapp, Facetime, ....... This saves a bundle.

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 15:35   #5

Boat: 1997 Catalina 42 MkII

If you are looking for just the US, look into something like Virgin Mobile or Boost. I've had VM for about 10 years and it's been great. No need to spend $75! I pay $30 a month for unlimited everything.
annsni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 08:15   #6

Boat: Irwin 40 Mk II 1982

Wife and I did the same. The only time we miss the second phone is when we are not together which is not often. We got rid of our cell phone and saved about 100 dollars and picked up a sat phone with 100 minutes a month for 75. So in the long run we save 25 dollars a month. However with the sat phone we have some freedom and we have a cradle with antenna for boat use. The phone was free with one year contract so made sense and it has come in handy when have been separated for whatever reason. A lot of the smaller things have been the more complicated to work out like whose phone we would keep and what extras on the phone. Cost versus benefit type issues you know.
Lockjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 09:18   #7

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
I am trying to reduce costs while living aboard. How many couples while cruising only use 1 cell phone? It would save me around $75 a month on my current AT&T plan..
Phisher,

You may have already evaluated other AT&T plans, but if not: on our US AT&T "family plan" we only pay $15/month/phone. The plan is basically a shared data plan, and that is what we are paying for [$125/mo for 40GB data. We get a small discount as retirees.]

The service charge per phone is cheap in comparison.

In our traveling lifestyle, we still prefer to each have a phone not only for those times when we are separated, but also because the remote monitoring system on our boat texts us with alerts while we are traveling on land.

In case this is useful.

Cheers! Bill
Old 28-08-2016, 15:14   #8

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

drop one plan and store the phone for a spare /we use prepaid on Telstra freedom plan / $2 for a sim from the post office or supermarket for a spare phone if needed / they come with $10 start up credit / no you can't buy a bucket full and discard after using the credit on each one / that's in Australia / prepaid phones come unlocked with a start up sim / I am using a waterproof phone watch on prepaid that cost $35 on ebay
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2016, 20:14   #9

Boat: Clipper 60 SII

Overseas on the boat we only have one cell phone and the satellite phone for emergencies. When we are separated for any length of time one of us is almost always on board. So the other one takes our portable VHF and we leave the ship VHF on the agreed channel. Mainly used to ask for the dingy to come and pick up the shopper and the groceries.
If we're staying in one country for a while we always buy a local sim and put it in our spare phone. We can then email a local number to family and friends without us paying roaming costs.
Kiwi. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cell phone, phone