Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 13:47   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Things You Don't Like About Cruisers . . .

hay steeve--how is big boat coming along??

i have lunch daily with a man who is blind enough not to be able to sail solo and has been in maz for 20 some odd years and ...... still is a cruiser?
and some who have been here only a few months-- still actively cruising....
.hail--any gringo in mazatlan in summer and not in a condo is a cruiser..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 14:07   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
hay steeve--how is big boat coming along??

i have lunch daily with a man who is blind enough not to be able to sail solo and has been in maz for 20 some odd years and ...... still is a cruiser?
and some who have been here only a few months-- still actively cruising....
.hail--any gringo in mazatlan in summer and not in a condo is a cruiser..
big boat is out of sight out of mind...need to concentrate on small boat if I ever want to be sailing

right now iv delth with death of love one and my girlfriend is keeping me on the hard this winter.
so my options are dump the girl? or use this time to work on the boat and be more then ready next season...if you where anywher near this part of the world...hummm id probably dump the girlfriend
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 14:11   #78

rofl steeve---- is difficult at best to fix 2 boats--i know that personally. dumping gf--is a hard decision.
however, you make your big boat your mistress and go for it---- fixing smaller boat and sailing is also good......decisions, decisions, decisions.........is tough life.... but someone has to do it...
death is not something easily dealt with even if that individual who died was close to it ...... is a sad time for the survivors. sorry you had to deal with death an d such sadness.
sun always shines after rain.....
Old 18-09-2011, 09:24   #79

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

Quote:
now that is difficult for some of us.....
Negative, Zeehag....ours'll just be a little lower than the fellas'.
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 18:55   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosinglesource View Post
Negative, Zeehag....ours'll just be a little lower than the fellas'.

aye, but sooo difficult to sport it in public without receiving a ticket for indecent exposure.....
Old 18-09-2011, 19:05   #81

Boat: 1973 Hughes 25
Send a message via Yahoo to nosinglesource Send a message via Skype™ to nosinglesource

Quote:
aye, but sooo difficult to sport it in public without receiving a ticket for indecent exposure.....
I KNOW! Some people really have no sense of humour when it comes to these things...
nosinglesource is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2011, 22:33   #82

some people have no sense of humor. is a sad thing, that.
Old 19-09-2011, 09:04   #83

Boat: Small and simple, under 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEG View Post
I think that there are very few active cruisers on this board.
You nailed that one!!!

Unless you count all the the sofa/armchair sailors...lol!

Old 19-09-2011, 09:39   #84

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
i noticed most of the ugly americans i met here in mexico were actually canadians.
sorry, guys, is accurate. just, please watch how you behave in these nice lil places so no one is badmouthed by trhe natives.

Must be those eastern Canadians; us western types are known for our hospitality, humor, kindness, friendliness, generosity, humbleness and general all around good people

We heard that the term "ugly American" was referring to those that are just a little too much "New Yaaaaawwky".

Now that I have insulted I am sure someone, I will continue to run, duck and hide!
Old 19-09-2011, 10:49   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piney View Post
You nailed that one!!!

Unless you count all the the sofa/armchair sailors...lol!

i think you will find there are more than you think and fewer than there SHOULD be.....
REAL cruisers, that is.....
Old 19-09-2011, 13:27   #86
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

don't forget, there are many commuter cruisers -- cruise for six months, wish they were cruising the other six months while enjoying family, change of seasons, etc. So maybe they're here in their "off cruising" season!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 13:36   #87

the alleged commuter cruisers here commute from condo on the water to see their boat, water it in fresh water and go back to condo. they never remove the boat from the slip.
i have met commuter cruisers who commute IN THEIR OLD BOATS up into sea of cortez and back for winter/summer migration to avoid hurrycames. NONE of these on the water all the time and sailing constantly folk is is in a catahuntebenelina. these folks also anchor a lot. they are a good lot.
if someone is gonna commuter cruise here, they surely didnt do it in a catahuntebenelina-- as i said previously, there are fewer than 10 here in mazatlan,in all 4 marinas in this basin, and ALL are dock queens.
read the list of baja haha entrants. MOST are NOT sailing the catahuntebenelinas. those boats really dont seem to like pacific winds and seas coming up their transoms.
Old 19-09-2011, 13:56   #88

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by avb3 View Post
Must be those eastern Canadians; us western types are known for our hospitality, humor, kindness, friendliness, generosity, humbleness and general all around good people

We heard that the term "ugly American" was referring to those that are just a little too much "New Yaaaaawwky".

Now that I have insulted I am sure someone, I will continue to run, duck and hide!
But at least you did it with your customary hospitality, humor, kindness, friendliness, generosity, humbleness ... ROFL

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2011, 14:31   #89

Boat: Boereal 44

Zee, I'm pretty new here so most likely have not earned my say but I will say even though I do not agree with you on a lot of things. I do agree with you on Hunters crossing oceans. Have only met one couple sailing across the Pacific in a fairly new Hunter. They made it just fine but would never do it again, they were scared out of their witts as the decks would move in a wave as each large following sea moved under the boat. That and many other things worried them constantly. I'm talking about things that do not happen to any well found boat, new or old.

There are a lot of people here looking for advice and most are not fortunate enough or have no interest in a new boat of any cost. Lots of these future cruisers want an old, cheap boat and that is fine. But if experienced cruisers do not try and explain in some detail that these old boats need huge amounts of skilled work and lots of new everything then we are doing new comers a bad deal. You are right that the further south you go the more broken dreams we see. There are just to many folks with dreams broken because they didn't pick the proper boat, did not put the time into it. Mexico is the home of broken dreams of cruising the South Pacific. Too many old boats and poorly built newer boats where their owners are bitter and have resorted to morning dock yoga, afternoon cribbage and 5pm drinking till pass out time. Marina De La Paz what a sorry place, it's sad so many sad and angry people who had wanted to cross oceans and dislike all those who took the time to have a well found boat to cross oceans in.

I'm sure the experienced cruisers here can do a much better job in helping those wanting to cruise what it really takes to make serious cruising an enjoyable experience. Even in a boat close to Bristol condition you have enough to worry about being safe. We need to let folks know explain why your odds of having a great passage go down with an older boat not up to snuff and newer boats not made to do true ocean passages.
stevewrye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 08:46   #90

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Haven't seen that spirit here since 1969
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote