Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2013, 07:17   #1

Things to look for.

Hello I'm looking to buy a boat for a long term cruising. I would like a steel hull as I have worked with it and now its strengths and weaknesses. I plan on going to the south pole and then doing the whole chase the sun approach. I'm just wondering what things do I need to look for in a boat. Does it need a full enclosed pilot house, or is that not the case. I am looking at something about the 15 metre range or more. Just see a lot of stuff on other sites saying you need this and this. And in the past I have found out this to be a load of hogwash, in other field that is. I'm very comfortable with my sailing ability, just looking at missing a few pot holes so to speak.
T.Treffery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:10   #2

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Things to look for.

We too want to sail there one day. From my research:

- pilothouse - most welcome,
- safe deck design and layout,
- safe, protective driver's positions,
- full, quality insulation of the living quarters,
- well thought-out cooking/heating systems,
- sturdy and redundant generating options.

Many sailors who sailed there say lifting keel is an asset, some advocate protected props.

All boats we have seen had custom mooring systems (often four-way landlines on bobbins) also very sturdy and abundant anchoring gear (both bottom and shore ways).

Personally, I would invest in a reliable wx awareness system - something based on Iridium probably. I would also opt for top specs cold / foul wx garments - dry suits/gtx, full monthy, etc.

Good luck with your adventure. Let's hope to meet out there one cold, sunny day.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 08:27   #3
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.Treffery View Post
I plan on going to the south pole and then doing the whole chase the sun approach. I'm just wondering what things do I need to look for in a boat.
Something with wheels?

Have never been in the Southern Ocean - and no plans on going there!

But I would start with a design that is expected to be walloped by really bad weather and a boat built well and in good condition (hull etc and equipment). Exactly what that design is will likely be subject to much opinion , but if in steel (IMO a good idea as you are familiar and will be at least seeing ice, if not also bumping into some!) then are talking a bit of weight already so likely design will follow that and be on the more "traditional" end of the spectrum, rather than an entrant into the Vendee Globe.........

I would favour some sort of pilothouse (cold!), in addition to being able to steer from outside. and plenty of stowage capacity (in space and weight).

Likely the specifics of layout and mod cons a mixture of personal taste, experience and a WAG based on advice of others.

Also likely that having a full crew onboard would be prudent, 4 (or more?).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 09:36   #4

I saw this boat a little while ago and liked the design and the look of.
Used 1973 ARTHUR ROBB KETCH Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au

I would also like to have a full keel boat, not good at marinas for turning. But I would prefer a boat with better storm capabilities than a cruiser, you never know when murphy strikes. How much are teak decks to maintain as a friend said to stay away from them, hard to maintain.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:55   #5

I suggest you google seahorse diesel duck ICE. This boat was purpose built for high latitude sailing. I also suggest you do a search of this site estarsinger a frequent contributer and his wife Beth have done much high lat sailing. They had a boat built for this purpose. I think their website is Beth and Evans.com
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 18:06   #6

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Something with wheels?
Or perhaps runners...

Old 09-06-2013, 18:31   #7

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

My biggest issue, going to the South Pole, would be the hull; it must be reinforced. Ventilation and heating would be my next issue, followed by NAV/COM. Let's know about your progress! Good luck!

Mauritz
Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 23:08   #8

Boat: kuiper 32

I would want very small windows tough hatches and every cupboard and floor board heavily latched and lots of hand holds inside the cabin,its serious water down there .Read Ice Bird by David Lewis.
builder dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2013, 03:16   #9

Might be better to look at the big ice in my scotch glass. It would seem I would have to buy a boat on just one type of trip (as in going south)and would not be a the best or not suitable a boat for the rest of my sailing days.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:37   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Custom 35, Corroboree

At 15 meters, finding a pilot house steel yacht is going to be difficult, maybe easier as you go bigger, but still rare. That Arthur Robb ketch might be the best fit for an existing yacht. Don't know how may others of that design were built, but if I had to guess, it's probably a one-off.

You may be faced with going to a custom design if you can afford it to get precisely what you want. Another possibility for sailing in ice conditions is to consider aluminum construction. It is more common in this size range than steel, and it can be just as robust as steel.

Good luck, I hope you find what you want. I am a big proponent of pilot houses and think you will not regret having one, no matter what type of cruising you do.

Eric
ewsponberg is offline   Reply With Quote