Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2018, 15:57   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Theft Of Outboard Motors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Actually he's still got his dink so it wasn't stolen.
No, it was stolen .... just very briefly
Old 16-01-2018, 16:36   #47

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

The first point is that people only steal dinks to get the outboards, and virtually always abandon/destroy the dinks. Locking the OB to the dink only works if the dink is in turn locked to something immovable. I have known dinks being dragged through the harbor behind fishing boats at full tilt - never to be seen again. I first encountered the sawzall removal technique on the south coast of England two decades ago - apparently the outboard was cut off and tossed in a trunk (boot) for later work. The best is to lock the outboard directly, and robustly, to something strong. Anything to do with the toggles and the clamps is simply delusional; a hammer tap will break the toggles and the threaded clamps are easy to cut through (the manufacturers thoughtfully sell replacement kits).

The second point is that from 15hp and up an OB is useful to fishermen - a 25hp has real value and will be a big target; changing stickers might help a tiny bit.

There is no guaranteed prevention. Lift and lock is still the best advice. And by that I mean lock out of the water so that the dinghy cannot be launched by cutting the lifting line(s), and lock the outboard so that it cannot be taken separately. An Irish friend machined a SS pin for me, that fits into the steering tube on the outboard. One end has a knob on it and the other a hole for a padlock shackle (which is very hard to get to with tools). I attach a 3/8" HT chain to that padlock, which in turn is padlocked to or around something serious.

While some things work against opportunistic thieves, like disabling the engine, the fishermen that are coming for your 25hp don't expect to use the engine to get away. And while it is pretty easy to lock adequately to the boat, out of the water, going ashore will always be the greatest risk so only lock the dinghy in well-guarded places.

When in dubious harbors consider moving the OB below decks before arrival, and using oars to get ashore. No joke. They won't steal what they don't know is there.

Greg
CarinaPDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 17:24   #48

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
No, it was stolen .... just very briefly
Borrowed?
Old 16-01-2018, 17:56   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Borrowed?

Misappropriated
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 18:24   #50

Boat: Morgan, West Indies 38 Ketch

Plan B. Build a nesting dinghy, but a 3.5 hp motor. It’s what I did and we sail and row it more than we motor it. It does 6 knots sailing or motoring. Period.
akopac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 20:00   #51

Boat: Royal Cape Catamaran 53 ft 20 tons

Hi Mottseng, I reside on the waterfront in Richards Bay, South Africa. My two 50 HP were probably relocated to Mozambique. I've put a youngster in jail, the second avoided arrest and escaped over a wall, the 3rd informant is around and will be charged and arrested as soon as the main escapee is re arrested. Theft of this nature is unusual here. They are young drug juvenile opportunists. I wont relent until I've successfully imprisoned and charged all of them. We are going to Mozambique end March and Ill be using my new 25HP on my tender, hence my concern. We will be based at Inhaca Island. When going ashore to a restaurant, the practice s to employ a local dude off the beach as a guard to watch over the tender while we drink beer and indulge. One never knows if you are employing the thief and if one must hire a second guard to guard the first guard?? Not an ideal situation.
YPSILANTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 20:25   #52

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Hi Mottseng, I reside on the waterfront in Richards Bay, South Africa. My two 50 HP were probably relocated to Mozambique. I've put a youngster in jail, the second avoided arrest and escaped over a wall, the 3rd informant is around and will be charged and arrested as soon as the main escapee is re arrested. Theft of this nature is unusual here. They are young drug juvenile opportunists. I wont relent until I've successfully imprisoned and charged all of them. We are going to Mozambique end March and Ill be using my new 25HP on my tender, hence my concern. We will be based at Inhaca Island. When going ashore to a restaurant, the practice s to employ a local dude off the beach as a guard to watch over the tender while we drink beer and indulge. One never knows if you are employing the thief and if one must hire a second guard to guard the first guard?? Not an ideal situation.
Take a photo of your guard and tell him he will be sought out as accomplice if your stuff disappears.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2018, 20:33   #53

Has anyone ever installed a tracking system device into an outboard. They seems to be cheaper and more effective with improved technology. Any experience, advice and info out there regarding this option?
Old 16-01-2018, 20:35   #54

sailfastri . Yes!!!!Why didn't I think of that . I will definitely do that. All deterrent measures help. Thank you.
Old 17-01-2018, 03:12   #55

Boat: Dinghies to Admirals Cup contender,the lot.

.....I have not found a padlock with a hardness rating on the hasp....which would be nice.....I had tender and outboard stolen...so now the replacement tender has an access hatch cut of the transom, and I take the cover with me, which leaves a 6 inch/150 mm hole below the water line......and stainless steel chain wrapped around the outboard...and an old shroud that I had eyes added in each end padlocked around something handy......and case hardened 1/2 chain through the inspection port and around the outboard...

....if nothing else Billy Burglar may look for something a little easier to steal.....
grahamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 05:29   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by YPSILANTI View Post
Has anyone ever installed a tracking system device into an outboard. They seems to be cheaper and more effective with improved technology. Any experience, advice and info out there regarding this option?
Most of these devices send GPS data over cell network. There are places where no cell network available, and when circumnavigating (for example) it might be not cheap nor convenient to buy sim card anywhere you go.
So tracking device should send GPS location to you via VHF, and then from receiver via bluetooth you will see info on your smartphone. Main question is the range. There are such tracking devices for dogs, they are small and can be hidden on the motor very well (a specially, on modern EFI motor). But range of these devices doesn't seem to be very good. If someone know similar device (not depending on cell networks and with good range), please tell.
ranchero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2018, 09:21   #57

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy53 View Post
I took off the L shaped locking bolts and installed 2 regular SS bolts that require a socket and ratchet then 3/8 chain and heavy lock for the tender
Bolt cutters make short work of locks and or chain.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 11:42   #58

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aswayze View Post
I just have a Cruise N Carry. NOBODY is going to steal a Cruise N Carry. If they did, most likely they will get frustrated by it and bring it back.

Works like a charm for me. 100%, no fail, every time, without a hitch. Anyone who borrows my dingy, they always end up rowing back. I swear that thing was built by cats...
Either that or a seagull

Bonus there is that when they chuck it over the side in frustration you can hose it down and it'll probably work just as well as it ever did
Old 04-02-2019, 12:10   #59

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
I first encountered the sawzall removal technique on the south coast of England two decades ago - apparently the outboard was cut off and tossed in a trunk (boot) for later work.

Greg
I read a blog a few years ago where the thiefs were using a chainsaw to remove the transom and take the motor with it still attached.
kentobin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, outboard