Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2012, 00:14   #31

Re: The Way to Treat Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
In my mind the biggest problem is that half the Sudan and most of Somalia play by an entirely different set of rules than we in the US do. Life is cheap over there, killing is a way of life and the tough ones survive. Spent some time over there in the oil business and those folks use the wests' reverence for life and property to make a pretty good living on ransoms. The guys you see in the small pangas running after tankers, container ships and pleasure craft are all run by an extensive group of thugs that control the gulf over there. Good money to be made ransoming their prizes but the little guys get just enough to keep them in hash, gas and food.
Nothing is going to change until there is a bigger thug or government prepared to play by their rules and take out the whole structure top to bottom.
Ain't going to happen because of potential political fallout and the price of ransom is cheaper than putting boots on the ground to complete the job.
Just my opinion (somewhat informed, however) Capt Phil
Well said. Thank you.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:52   #32

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Quote:
In my mind the biggest problem is that half the Sudan and most of Somalia play by an entirely different set of rules than we in the US do. Life is cheap over there, killing is a way of life and the tough ones survive. Spent some time over there in the oil business and those folks use the wests' reverence for life and property to make a pretty good living on ransoms. The guys you see in the small pangas running after tankers, container ships and pleasure craft are all run by an extensive group of thugs that control the gulf over there. Good money to be made ransoming their prizes but the little guys get just enough to keep them in hash, gas and food.
Nothing is going to change until there is a bigger thug or government prepared to play by their rules and take out the whole structure top to bottom.
Ain't going to happen because of potential political fallout and the price of ransom is cheaper than putting boots on the ground to complete the job.
I hope this is not a surprise to anyone. I can think of at least 25-30 other locations around the world where the same situation exists. Fortunately, most are easier to avoid than the Horn of Africa.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:25   #33

Boat: Oceanic 46 (Jack Savage)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagreenberg68 View Post
First off, I will be the first to put a .50 cal round shot through the head of any one trying to board my vessel with out my permission, and if out at sea I will tie the worst anchor i have around their neck and send them below. I will not call the coast guard or any other "authorities" it will be a moot point at that juncture.
Coast Guard in Somalia?

https://trekkingthesea.blogspot.com.au/
Old 03-05-2012, 03:24   #34
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Shift 100%+ of CF posters if you look at this and other similar threads.
Definitely! Maybe it is due to the video which made them almost smell the smoke for the bullets.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:57   #35

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas

Definitely! Maybe it is due to the video which made them almost smell the smoke for the bullets.
No, I think it's that time of the month when testosterone levels are high.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:58   #36

Boat: Hunter 430

Once the risk/reward scale tilts decidedly away from the pirates' favor, the problem will be evaporate. Let's hope that their friends who are contemplating this line of work have internet capabilities so they can witness what's in store for them.....
Old 03-05-2012, 04:19   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astral Blue View Post
As you will see in the clip, a fare gun will do nothing to a fuel tank, let alone a human skull.

Not the first time and wont be the last. fools and flare guns.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 03-05-2012, 04:27   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

what a shame,seeing as the guys in the skiffs only wanted to swap some fish for ciggarettes..................
Old 03-05-2012, 04:33   #39

I doesn't matter keep hitting the buggers and they may all keep away.
And that goes for all you rich cruisers who are paying as much as a weeks local wages for a couple of bits of fruit. When us poor cruisers offer the going rate we get told to fire truck off and give money.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
Old 03-05-2012, 04:41   #40
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Heh! Given his opinions on weapons on board, I think that Dave (goboatingnow) has figuratively thrown a grenade over the fence with this thread, and is sitting back to watch the fun. Hope he has some popcorn.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:30   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Spent some time over there in the oil business and those folks use the wests' reverence for life and property to make a pretty good living on ransoms.
Think Phil has just hid the nail on the head. Somalia has oil and its been known about since the 1970s. So what sort of people would want to stop the US and the UK from getting that oil? and what would happen to the price of arab oil if it turned out to be a huge find? Would the Arabs encourage the Somalis to maintain a lawless state to keep out the west?

Sadly the fallout affects us as travellers and the local Somalis who as Atoll said want to trade fresh fish for cigarettes

Pete
Old 03-05-2012, 05:33   #42
DMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagreenberg68 View Post
First off, I will be the first to put a .50 cal round shot through the head of any one trying to board my vessel with out my permission, and if out at sea I will tie the worst anchor i have around their neck and send them below. I will not call the coast guard or any other "authorities" it will be a moot point at that juncture.

Roger That!!!!!
Old 03-05-2012, 05:43   #43
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
I think both halfs of Sudan have major problems at the present time and it was the south that started it this time by blowing Hedlidg(sp?) all to hell....DVC
Old 03-05-2012, 06:03   #44

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: The Way to Treat Pirates

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
...It's definitely over time for Zero tolerance of these cockroaches.
It's time we said, "Enough of this crap!"
Ha! This from a guy who will not kill a spider.

I was also thinking that the poster who would tie the worst anchor to a dead bad guy left out the name of said anchor: CQR

Bet there's no shortage of mercs for tanker jobs.

I'm starting a new threadband, Guns'n Anchors. Hummingway is lead guitar.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:08   #45

Boat: Hans Christian 48T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post
Ha! This from a guy who will not kill a spider.
I was also thinking that the poster who would tie the worst anchor to a dead bad guy left out the name of said anchor: CQR

+1

We vote cqr.
Closed Thread