Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2007, 06:57   #1

Boat: 1976 Oday 27' Booty Call
pirate The Water Channel

HI all,

When I heard about the Water Channel, I immediately dropped Time Warner Cable to get Dish Network (glad I did!). I watch the Water Channel for it's sailing shows (most interest to me is : Lattitudes & Attitudes).
During the winter months, it's either playing computer sailing simulators or watching sailing on TV, such as water channel, Fine Living had a series about a cruising family too.

Love watching Lats & Atts..even subcribe to their cruising magazine. But I'm curious, of what others think of the Water channel? I mean, they don't run 24/7 programming yet on boating, and their commercials, are well, commercials pimping their own channel. Well, ummm DUHHH , I"m already watching your channel, don't need to pimp it anymore than you need to!

Kind of curious what others think. Wish we could see more on racing, more cruising, commercials from boating stores or suppliers. Remember those old Gary Jobson sailing shows from the 80's?? LOL

Mark
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 12:26   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Mark,
Never heard of it. Guess I got to find a friend with dish.
Did I tell you I went to visit my brother in Green Bay a few years back? They moved back to Oregon since but I really enjoyed your neck of the woods, especially Door County. When we visited there for Thanksgiving there was about a foot of snow on the ground.
Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 16:50   #3

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
I watch it, i just wish they would update the guide so I can record stuff
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 20:41   #4

Repetition

I too watch the Water Channel, but am slightly disappointed. I would like to see more shows regarding boating, rather than the "Knife Show" that is constantly on. Latitudes and Attitudes is the best show. I enjoyed the Sailboat Showcase show. In fact, I set Tivo to record all new episodes. The problem is that the same episode keeps recording and there are no new ones...EVER!

That channel has a great premise, but I feel that they are not making much money, hence the reason why they have commercials of their own channel. Perhaps that is why they have resorted to non-water related infomercials, such as the giant knife shows that are on all the time.
Temporarily Landlocked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 06:50   #5

water channel

Temporarily Landlocked - yeah I know what you mean! I set my Dish Network to record the Latts & Atts all NEW shows, but I too have noticed it'll record almost everything.

Sailboat shows are good and the channel does cover some nice issues, racing, motorboating, port-o-call and latts & atts.

I all us sailors contact the water channel for show ideas and suggestions. they obviously have a good thing there and given a steady amount of boating topics, my god.....why couldn't it be a great show!

Heck, ideas from boatbuilding (fiberglass and wood), tours of boat manufacturers and new gadgets, restoration shows (Don Casey ..his own TV show? how cool would that be!!) , tall ships , cruising, small boats, America's Cup, to anything doing with boating.
Ahh, tis to dream!

oh, FYI - I used to live in Salt Lake City! (never sailed GSL, but know the city well, might even visit for a high school reunion in June 2007 too)

Mark
Old 22-01-2007, 06:58   #6

SkiprJohn

No kidding? in my neck of the woods huh? well next time you are coming to the area, let me know, i'll buy you a beer!
Old 22-01-2007, 11:30   #7

Hey Shellback,
You got some good breweries up there? We enjoyed touring the Kohler factory and town too. Unbelievable. Thanks for invitation. Come on by here too!!
Hope you aren't too snowed in. I'm waiting for a little sunshine to dry out the grass. I need to mow the lawn again. Never stops growing here.
JohnL
Old 22-01-2007, 16:21   #8

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
and all of a sudden today i have a program listing LOL what are the odds.
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2007, 18:54   #9

Most of the breweries are south (ie Milwaukee etc), but we do have some really good micro-breweries here in the GB area. Not to mention, the wineries up in Door County.
Hawaii huh? My wife and I are looking to relocate in a few years, not too far after our son graduates. We'll be empty-nesters! anways wife(admiral) is a registered nurse. She threw me the idea of relocating to Hawaii. I mentioned that or the Virgin Islands as options!

We finally got some snow here in the Great Lakes here in January. Oct-Dec were record warm temps and little to new precip.
Old 22-01-2007, 21:05   #10

Aloha Shellback,
Let me know if you have questions about Hawaii. Be glad to clue you in.
JohnL