Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2004, 11:35   #1

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
The Truth as I Know It

As you are my sailing brothers and sisters, I have to tell you something. I have no choice in this matter, so please forgive me if I offend you.

I am a sailor,and have been since I was a child playing in a creek with toy boats.The last 5 years have been very difficult for me since my wife was diagnosed with terminal breast cancer.My sister-in-law was diagnosed with an inoperable cancerous brain tumor 6 months ago.

I accepted Christ as my personal saviour when I was 12 years of age. Since that time, I've gone down the wrong paths more times than I can count.I've always tried to straddle the fence between what I knew was wrong,compared to what I knew was right.I've been the lowest of the lowest.There is virtually no sin that I haven't committed, or numerous times. Even so, I prospered.That is, until the last 5 years.

I've had so many things taken away from me in the last 5 years, it's mind boggling.At one time,I sailed some of the best places in the world,had a water front house at my favorite lake, and one in the mountains. I did what ever suited me at the time. Like a spoiled child when their toys are taken away,I became angry! I blamed God.I pushed even harder to do things that pleased me,and justified my actions by thinking I was "owed" them for all I had been put through.

My wife is a miraculous person. Even though she suffers severe motion sickness, she sailed every where with me up until the time she became sick. Usually, she would be stretched out in the cockpit sick, but without complaint. She has always been a religious person, while I tried unsucessfully to convince her that there were grey areas.Since she was diagnosed with cancer and was told she had about 3 months, to a year to live, I've seen several friends tell her how sorry they were for her.Some of those have since died, and my wife is still here 5 years later.Since my sister-in-law was diagnosed with the brain tumor, her health has declined rapidly. She can no longer talk, or walk. Prior to this happening, she had already given her life over to the Lord, and accepted what ever was to be his will in her life.

All these things have weighed heavy on my mind, and would grant me no peace. Recently,I turned to a NIV Bible that was given to me by my wife, seeking answers.Each day before reading a few chapters in it, I have prayed this prayer." My Father in Heaven. I come to you as a sinner seeking wisdom through your word.Please forgive me of my sins, and speak to me through your word so that I may understand."

Through that simple prayer, and my earnest attempt to find the truth, he has blessed me.Things are so different now. I am at peace with myself,and know that my life is finally on the correct path.

I implore you to try this in you own life.Don't wait until everything is crumbling down around you. No one knows when they will be stepping off into eternity. Try reading his word for a few minutes each day, using the simple prayer that I did. You will be amazed at the power. If I'm wrong about this thing, you will only have lost a few hours of your time. If I'm right, you will have gained everything. Fair winds to you!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 13:47   #2

Yo Stede.

I see a man in you, a man who needs to talk to a Deep Believer. Our Boat Site founding manager is a Sailin' Christian pastor. If you like, I will give him a heads-up and say there's a sheep that needs to see a shepard. Whadd-ya say !
John-
29cascadefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2004, 16:46   #3

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Cascade29,

Thanks for your concern my friend, but I'm fine. In fact, I'm better then I have ever been. I certainly don't mind talking to anyone, but I'm attending a church here where I live,and have become very close with our pastor, and church members.

I assure you, and all reading this, that I won't try to use this,or any other board to push my views on anyone. Nor will I continue along this subject line. I was convicted to say what I did, and now it is done.Thanks to all of you for your tolerance,and understanding.

Sail on, my brothers and sisters!
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote