Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-04-2014, 07:18   #46
cruiser

The Steering Wheel

Rebel had days to decide what to grab, he shurly thought it deeply. It probably took 30 seconds to take it off and did it long before the ship arrived. I think it's a very nice memento of his voyage.

Boatguy your views are disturbing and not inline with most of our thoughts on rebel. We wish him well and are truly bummed that his voyage didn't work out. You seem to be trolling for someone to argue with.

Point taken, your a meanie, we really get it.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 15:34   #47

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Re: The Steering Wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horror Hotel View Post
Rebel had days to decide what to grab, he shurly thought it deeply. It probably took 30 seconds to take it off and did it long before the ship arrived. I think it's a very nice memento of his voyage.

Boatguy your views are disturbing and not inline with most of our thoughts on rebel. We wish him well and are truly bummed that his voyage didn't work out. You seem to be trolling for someone to argue with.

Point taken, your a meanie, we really get it.

A meanie, and a girl in an inflatable armchair, lol.

The wheel, the ships bell or the name board would all be appropriate mementos if there was time.
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 15:46   #48

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

I get "it". Take the old wheel to put on the new boat for a new start and a nod to the last boat.

Many Navy ships that use the names of other ships have items that were on those ships. On the USS Truxtun (the last one) we had a picture of the other vessels of the same name.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:03   #49

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

I was disappointed he took only the wheel. I would have tried for the rudder, masts, keel, Yanmar, hull and the head. Just kidding people...........but seriously this was a retarded question to begin with.
Old 10-04-2014, 16:10   #50
cruiser

The OP needs to keep blowing hot air so his inflatable armchair won't sink.
Horror Hotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 16:16   #51

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1397171771.759035.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	97.9 KB
ID:	79115

Arm chairs have a place. But not here.
Old 10-04-2014, 17:14   #52

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailing Cowboy View Post
Attachment 79115

Arm chairs have a place. But not here.

I'm sure we could find a place
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 19:54   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Boatguy30.... Don't be such a Dilloway...
Funny dilloway wasn't the word I was thinking

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 11-04-2014, 03:57   #54
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Up to this point in my life I was COMPLETELY UNAWARE how badly I needed an inflatable chair....

Further proof that CF is full of well rounded off topic knowledge...

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 04:48   #55

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMdRSailor View Post
Up to this point in my life I was COMPLETELY UNAWARE how badly I needed an inflatable chair....

Further proof that CF is full of well rounded off topic knowledge...
Not to mention that absolute necessity over all necessities - a good bucket

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:10   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Not to mention that absolute necessity over all necessities - a good bucket
You gave me the shudders thinking about LOB (life without buckets)...

Old 11-04-2014, 05:38   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Okay, I'm done. April 15 is coming. No complaining this year then.
You know people with hang-ups about the taxes thing and the cost of the rescue really kill me.

The rescuers are there to provide a combat support service. If a fighter or bomber crashes in the ocean, they want their expensive pilot back and they sure as hell want to know what happened to the likely more expensive aircraft that was lost.

So if people don't like it that their taxes go to rescue civilians when the SAR services aren't chasing down lost servicemen, they should express their opinions to their elected officials and direct them to reduce defense budgets. In the meantime it's good practice.

One thing that I thought was of particular interest when watching the rescue crew's press conference was that the crew expressed how deeply rewarding it was for them to rescue actual Americans for a change.

Sounds like that particular air rescue wing from California covers all the way down to the equator and as far west as Hawaii.

In their own words, while they mostly save merchant mariners and fisherman of all nations, they RARELY ever have occasion to rescue people from the good old US of A.

How do you think the tax weenies would feel knowing that their tax dollars by and large are being spent to rescue citizens of our pacific rim neighbors who are busy robbing the oceans off our shores blind of their resources?

I believe Atoll had expressed concern about Taiwanese long liners in the area stripping Rebel Heart before it could be recovered. When those same long liners have troubles off our shore do you think they call the Taiwanese Air Force to save them? Ha
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 05:42   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
You know people with hang-ups about the taxes thing and the cost of the rescue really kill me.

The rescuers are there to provide a combat support service. If a fighter or bomber crashes in the ocean, they want their expensive pilot back and they sure as hell want to know what happened to the likely more expensive aircraft that was lost.

So if people don't like it that their taxes go to rescue civilians when the SAR services aren't chasing down lost servicemen, they should express their opinions to their elected officials and direct them to reduce defense budgets. In the meantime it's good practice.

One thing that I thought was of particular interest when watching the rescue crew's press conference was that the crew expressed how deeply rewarding it was for them to rescue actual Americans for a change.

Sounds like that particular air rescue wing from California covers all the way down to the equator and as far west as Hawaii.

In their own words, while they mostly save merchant mariners and fisherman of all nations, they RARELY ever have occasion to rescue people from the good old US of A.

How do you think the tax weenies would feel knowing that their tax dollars by and large are being spent to rescue citizens of our pacific rim neighbors who are busy robbing the oceans blind of their resources?

I believe Atoll had expressed concern about Taiwanese long liners in the area stripping Rebel Heart before it could be recovered. When those same long liners have troubles off our water do you think they call the Taiwanese Air Force to save them? Ha
+100

Old 11-04-2014, 05:54   #59

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

See this thread would have been taken so much better if it was ...if you were being rescued and you could take 1 item with you what would it be.. but I don't think that's really what you were going for any way..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2014, 06:01   #60

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
Ok, so I want this to be above board and respectful.

does anyone think it amiss that a vessels steering wheel would be handed off to rescuers when leaving a vessel in danger of sinking?

To me is seems a bit like passing that new bathroom vanity out the window to a firefighter on the ladder.

Perhaps there is a good explanation for this. the shaft sheared off, was trying to repair a broken chain and had removed the wheel to access the pedestal better, etc, etc.

After 35 years of sailing, I can't imagining being in a life or death situation and getting out my tools to remove the steering wheel......
For Christ's sake he and his family just lost their house give him a break and quit nit-picking the little crap. If you had a serious question about what type of comm device they used to call for help it would be worth debating. Not this petty stuff.

Not to mention your analogy is all wrong. It compares nothing like a house burning down. There was no urgent need to disembark as fast as possible. It was a controlled safe situation, they had plenty of time to plan ahead and think things through.

A much better analogy would be that: it was like if a hurricane was coming your way and your house was right in the middle of the path. You have a few days lead time and you know that due to the forecast your house will most likely be lost. You can only take a few things that will fit in your car and you decide to take the door knocker off your front door because it was the first thing you bought for your house when you moved in. In other words there was NO immediate threat to life and they had time to take one thing that will remind them of their dream. I find it very poetic.

What's next do you want to criticize why his daughter was in a back pack carrier and not duct taped to his chest instead?

Tags
steering, wheel