Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2018, 10:08   #1

Boat: Gemini 105Mc
The St. Petersburg Power and Sailboat show ??

I've lived on the west coast for about twenty-two years. Probably have attended this show almost every year.

The last few years though, I told myself I probably would not return. Increased ticket prices, increased parking fees, less and less sailboats.........
For some reason I kept going. I think this is the year I will keep my promise and stay home.

Anybody got any reasons to change my mind......................
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2018, 12:01   #2

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: The St. Petersburg Power and Sailboat show ??

You read my mind.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2018, 15:09   #3

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I'm going for the first time and have a commission to write a review for a British sailboat magazine. I've already had problems getting a media pass from the organizers and $17.00 for a local show does seem a bit steep.
Old 26-11-2018, 05:28   #4

I have been going for years, mainly because of the interesting seminars available. But here it is just days until the show and the only seminars that they have on the schedule are a couple things about fishing. So, no, I'm not going to convince you to change your mind. Instead, for the first time in several years I have decided not to go myself.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2018, 07:56   #5

Quote:
But here it is just days until the show and the only seminars that they have on the schedule are a couple things about fishing.
It seems that who ever is running their website is asleep at the wheel..........
Seminars link only shows one fishing seminar, the link to the "show guide" goes to a page about advertising at the show ??? The boats listing shows only a handful of sailboats ??

I was disappointed enough last year that I probably won't go. If anyone is going on Thursday or Friday please let us know what's actually there.
Old 26-11-2018, 20:16   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

No more Latitudes & Attitudes Party either.
Old 01-12-2018, 20:18   #7

Went to the St. Petersburg POWER show (with a couple of Sailboats thrown in). Very disappointed with the direction this show has taken. It is clear the organizers do not care about the sailing community, with the only seminars there being a cooking demonstration (and several products and sauces he was selling) and the fishing seminars. NO sailing or electronic seminars, no authors or books (the only book and author we saw there was at the Catalina display) and, most egregious, NO Cruising Outpost or cruisers party! Unless drastic changes are made, my wife and I will not be going back, and we only live about 45 minutes from the show!
finalfantasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 23:34   #8

Thanks for the report.

Decided not to attend, will be sailing tomorrow instead.

The real question is: are the producers of the show ignoring sailing or is the sailing industry ignoring the show.........??
Old 02-12-2018, 01:58   #9

Boat: Leopard 39

I think that at some point the show producers made a conscious decision to cater to the weekender power boater demographic. It must be where the bucks are about now .
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:00   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
Thanks for the report.

Decided not to attend, will be sailing tomorrow instead.

The real question is: are the producers of the show ignoring sailing or is the sailing industry ignoring the show.........??

Enjoy! Looks like a great day to be on the water! I believe this has to do alot with the point the previous poster made. The show producers have been shifting the focus to power boating the last few years. For example, Sailing Florida Charters have been teaming up to have a few sailboats on hand and have been conducting "intro to sailing" rides and seminars on the docks, this year - no boats, no seminar for intro to sailing, and sailing Florida Charters are now located in the EXPO tent. In the space on the dock where they have been set up the last 10 years was a power boat display that could only be described as "water taxis".
finalfantasea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:11   #11

Boat: Down East 45 Brigantine schooner

I went on the first day, to meet the editor or Southwinds magazine and two other suppliers of products I’m reviewing for other mags’.
I wasn’t much impressed with the rest of the show, and if my wife and I had to actually pay $17.00 to get in I would not have considered it very good value. Parking was $10.00 and an interminable line to get in, not improved by theater goers to a concert in the nearby hall.
There was really only one tent of sailboat equipment and only one charter company. Had I found a suitable boat, I would have booked a charter in February on the West coast.
It was chilly and the frozen lemonade vendors looked as depressed as their product—which nobody was buying. You couldn’t get a warm coffee for love nor money. $5.00 for a skinny hot dog, $10.00 for a burger.
I went to see one boat exhibitor then left. I won’t bother next year.
JR
Old 03-12-2018, 05:26   #12

This probably ties in with the "is cruising dying?" thread... For the moment at least, it seems there's not much money to be made from most sailboat owners; the market opportunity seems to be fishers and weekenders. And the one-percenters seem to prefer big powerboats over new sailboats.

We usually attend the Toronto Boat Show; it's something to get us through winter and there's usually one item we are looking for... but at some point you simply don't happen to need anything in particular, and then it's just the entertainment value. Our ticket prices are close to the same and parking is even more expensive. If I was in St Pete's, and the choice was between a boat show and a day out... the choice would be pretty easy.

Is there any boat show in North America that's a must-see?
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 05:41   #13

What's strange is that this company, Informa Exibitions, took over the show from Show Management. They list their other events as The Miami Show, Palm Beach Show, Suncoast Show and The Fort Lauderdale show. Of course, Miami is the only one with a sailboat presence.

We contemplated going to Miami, but have heard the parking and shuttle experience was less than fun.............

Also, 25.00 for one day ticket, 45.00 for two day ticket...........
Old 12-12-2018, 11:57   #14

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Did have a great sail show. Not any more haven’t gone in 2years. To bad because it was also a reason to go to Saint Pete like the city.
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boat show, sail, sailboat