Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2016, 03:10   #46

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: The sailing dream - How many people...

Some folk make their own art.....
Old 07-09-2016, 03:35   #47
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I spent virtually all of my life in close proximity to urban environments rich with culture and all manner of "things" to do... museums, galleries, concerts, opera, dance, fashion shows, libraries parts, parades, multicultarism and so on.

I also spent 4 years sailing and cruising to and in the Caribe and Canaries. The experiences of the places I sailed to was interesting, but ultimately I felt starved for "culture". I returned to the States when cash ran out and to my former profession which I was prepared to abandon for some new adventure in life.

I still have the boat, spend as much time as I can with it, including living on the hook, sailing and messing about. But I now try to do as much "culture" as I can and work a bit. I would not sail off to chase rainbows in exotic places. Not enough intellectual stimulation... not enough artistic creative stimulation. Perhaps now the www... we can experience everything through a screen / you tube, FB, instagram and "live streams"... Dunno.

You never find the rainbow and if the pursuit is not enough for you then don't make the commitment to sever ties. I can see how perhaps someone who lives a more simple rural life absent lots of contact with "the arts" might find the wet more interesting than the dry... Dunno.

I think a balance might be a good approach... a long sabbatical at sea... lots of cruising but without cutting all ties to dirt life.

Maybe
You should have turned into the Mediterranean if culture is what you needed.

It's still here if you decide to go cruising again.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 03:59   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You should have turned into the Mediterranean if culture is what you needed.

It's still here if you decide to go cruising again.
Yes, seems there is a lot of that "culture"stuff all over the world. Sydey opera house any one? Bolshoi ballet? Museums, galleries. I haven't been to many places yet, but there does not seem to be a lack of culture in the world.
Old 07-09-2016, 04:28   #49

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
I keep coming back to this thread and puzzling over the original question "will we like it"

It's seems to me the question asked is just backwards. This is no slight on the op......
Remember happiness is an inside job. Are you happy enough to just go out and have fun?
It could be psychological. It could be that he /she values stuff he/she has read here and wants feelings about experiences to guide their own decision. I know reading this forum helps me immensely. I am a noobie on boats. I am an inexperienced sailor so all opinions mean something and I like the disagreements just as much. Please don't forget that what may seem an obvious answer to what may seem like an amateur question could be because, as a noobie we don't know **** about the detail. Even the paranoid stuff. I feel great that I don't sweat the small stuff and feel sad for those that keep waiting for nirvana, but, all in all ,I suspect, if someone asks a simple question, it may just be because all you guys out there have some serious experience worth listening to and it is of great value.
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 04:49   #50

Hi Sofie,

I mean no disrespect to anyone who is new at boars. Far from it. I'm pretty new too.
I'm just pointing out that the question is backwards. That, as asked, the op is getting ahead of himself. Many years ago that same thing was pointed out to me and I had a satori. Re framing the question helped me to organize my thoughts to discovering what it was I was really after. It was a huge leap for me, so I am sharing with others. Perhaps the idea will help someone else. Eh, as I age the more I resemble the proverbial "old fogey".
Old 07-09-2016, 08:50   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
How many people, on average, would you say have the dream to get into sailing but then realize it's not for them.

I'm obviously asking this because I myself have doubts.

My wife and I have lived in a 1900 sq ft house for 15 years, just wondering if we would enjoy the downsize.

I retire from the military in a little over 8 years. What we are thinking about doing in the meantime is buying a smaller boat for Lake Champlain in a few years and sailing to a friend's camp on the weekends, which is about a 5 to 7 hour sail, and spending the night on the boat (as well as other destinations).

I don't know, just so many ideas and fears running through our heads. Seems like a big risk for some reason.

As a reminder to all the miserable bastards out there - Be nice! lol
Well...with this form, I would say the many are dreamers but do not have doubts overtly. But it seems after years of saying they are going to buy a boat and go cruising...don't. For them it's a sense of belonging to something I suppose.
It's definitely not for everyone. It can be expensive and frustrating at times. It is good to have doubts about it. Maybe charter a captained boat somewhere exotic and see how it goes. One thing I would not do is sell my house to go cruising.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:07   #52

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtcal View Post
To my knowledge, there is only 1 real way to know: just do it. Getting a boat & sailing Lake Champlain is an excellent beginning. I've been sailing the lake & most of the Caribbean for over 40 years. You will get to know whether or not it's for you.
Thats right sell your house, buy a boat for $100K and $50K more for gear. If you don't like it, you can sell it after it sitting on the market for 1 1/2 years, all the while paying rent ($34K for 1 1/2 years), then try buying back into the market after prices have gone back up and a higher property tax. That's if a bank will help someone who is retired.
Yup...good plan
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:31   #53

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Bk
Quote:
How many people, on average, would you say have the dream to get into sailing but then realize it's not for them.

I'm obviously asking this because I myself have doubts.

My wife and I have lived in a 1900 sq ft house for 15 years, just wondering if we would enjoy the downsize.

I retire from the military in a little over 8 years. What we are thinking about doing in the meantime is buying a smaller boat for Lake Champlain in a few years and sailing to a friend's camp on the weekends, which is about a 5 to 7 hour sail, and spending the night on the boat (as well as other destinations).

I don't know, just so many ideas and fears running through our heads. Seems like a big risk for some reason.

As a reminder to all the miserable bastards out there - Be nice! lol
I can't answer based on experience but my concerns are similar. I love the water and I love traveling and have done for many years. I am getting ready for retirement now. I have no experience sailing at all but I knew I would like the adventure and freedom of exploring anywhere I wanted so long as I stay away from the hard bits. Even if it turned out I don't like sailing I would like where it would take me.

I looked for a boat that suited my personality and capable of going where I wanted to go and bought it a few weeks ago. The owner kindly sailed it back home with me to teach me how to sail. 2 weeks sailing 24 7 for a few days straight just the 2 of us, a total power out in a storm on a no moon night in a shipping Chanel coming down through the great barrier reef was my introduction but still keen.

I bought a boat at a fair price and feel sure even if it turns out it's not for me I can sell it for similar money and will always have the adventures I've had. My advice, don't stress it, do it, but have an exit strategy. I still have no idea if it's right for me.

Good luck.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:40   #54

Boat: Vancouver 27

I have a "trailerable" boat that also highly bluewater capable. Seems like the right compromise for me. Lower overhead and highly flexible.

Lived aboard a larger boat with some buddies through my 20s and eventually bought a smaller, nicer boat.

So many ways to do it.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:45   #55
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
One thing I would not do is sell my house to go cruising.
Why? I'm selling my house and closing in 8 days. Why should I pay $670/mo in taxes and and fees to keep it (it's pay off) while I'm cruising? Are there not houses all over the world for sale?
Old 07-09-2016, 09:49   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thats right sell your house, buy a boat for $100K and $50K more for gear. If you don't like it, you can sell it after it sitting on the market for 1 1/2 years, all the while paying rent ($34K for 1 1/2 years), then try buying back into the market after prices have gone back up and a higher property tax. That's if a bank will help someone who is retired.
Yup...good plan

Well, I hope your wrong, cause except for the buying another house, you have pretty much described me.
However in our financial planning I have buying another house in it after 5 yrs.
I hope not to, but better to plan and not need than the other way around.
Truth is I got lucky in selling mine to a Commercial concern, or I would most likely have taken a severe beating if i could have sold it at all.
Houses and land where I live are not selling, it would have cost me a bunch to keep it, like Sailorboy mine was paid off too, but couldn't even return enough income to break even, and I had to completely rebuild it after one bad renter, no more absentee owner for me.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 09:51   #57

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Why? I'm selling my house and closing in 8 days. Why should I pay $670/mo in taxes and and fees to keep it (it's pay off) while I'm cruising? Are there not houses all over the world for sale?
$670/mo - Wow. I would have sold years ago!
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:00   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
It's not tough to get there, don't forget insurance and maintenance as well as taxes.
I believe that number depending on age and size of the house to be conservative, we saved $500 a month to pay the taxes, came due every year just before Christmas, car tags too.
Land living comes with major expenses when you start looking, I noticed today that my auto insurance was $2,000 a yr and we have good driving history and do not carry full coverage on anything.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:03   #59

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
It's not tough to get there, don't forget insurance and maintenance as well as taxes.
I believe that number depending on age and size of the house to be conservative, we saved $500 a month to pay the taxes, came due every year just before Christmas, car tags too.
Land living comes with major expenses when you start looking, I noticed today that my auto insurance was $2,000 a yr and we have good driving history and do not carry full coverage on anything.
I hear ya, everything seems to be creeping up and up. Nothing new I guess.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 10:06   #60
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Yes a little more here in NH than in VT. In VT it would only be $550/mo of costs for a house I'm not even using. Plus maintenance and utilities of course. And I own a lower end house of $203k value.

Tags
sail, sailing