Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-09-2016, 01:01   #91

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: The sailing dream - How many people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorrie View Post
...Them I think about a term my friend likes to use, "Jump and the net shall appear."

Or it won't. Either way, you're good ;-)

I'm all for going now, going with limited resources, living on less. It's what my partner and I have done. But I'm not pollyanna about it. Life doesn't always work out. People take risks and fail all the time. Failure is always an option.

So yes, jump. But try and learn how to fly on the way down.

Old 12-09-2016, 10:05   #92

Boat: Lots of boats.

Interesting thread. I have been all over the map on this. I have a good job with lots of annual leave. Requires lots of hours, but I can work remote with WIFI access. So with an Ex and one more college education to help with I will probably work until I drop (I'm 60 now). Social Security doesn't even come close to what I need to live comfortably.

I get the time thing. My boat projects would for the most part be done if I didn't work a full time job. But as some have admitted, I too probably get more joy from working on the boat and sitting at the marina, than I do from actually cruising around. I do plan to increase my cruising time, but if I don't, it wouldn't really bother me. I've been to almost all the destinations I would sail to. So long term projects are a bigger part of the experience for me.

I have my own reasons for wanting to keep the house (home base). Its not a financial burden, so no reason to sell it. The real burden is all the stuff I own from 40 years of being a good consumer. I am actively getting rid of the junk I have moved from house to house. Feels better with every load I take to the Goodwill (or dump).

Except for financial reasons which has been mentioned many times, I don't know why people have to make this an "all or nothing" proposition. Seems to me the sailing dream for some could be one week out of the year. Don't even need to buy a boat.

Also, I hear people continually mention, "start with a small boat". I too see the merit to this but with some limits. I can't imagine owning an open day sailor without a head (or cabin). This was fine when I was in my 20's but being 2-3 hours from a bathroom is out of the question now. Sure 95% of the time I would have no trouble making it all day without a potty, but that 5% would truly be embarrassing.

Old 12-09-2016, 23:36   #93

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Or it won't. Either way, you're good ;-)

I'm all for going now, going with limited resources, living on less. It's what my partner and I have done. But I'm not pollyanna about it. Life doesn't always work out. People take risks and fail all the time. Failure is always an option.

So yes, jump. But try and learn how to fly on the way down.

Bring a water hose. It will hang on something.
Old 13-09-2016, 07:50   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat

OK. All fine but we are drifting. I think the OP asked about the ratio of those who have done to those who have dreamed?

What is this ratio then?

b.
Old 13-09-2016, 08:06   #95

Boat: 1974 Bristol 27

As usual folks are all over the map on this one. He said " getting into sailing " with an idea of a small boat to sail 5-7 hours on the lake to a friend's camp and staying over.

This can be done on a shoe string budget on most any type of sailboat.

The percentage of folks that have done this type thing vs gone cruising is quite different.

How about taking the first step for a few thousand and see what you think?

Any sailboat from about 18' up should do the job quite nicely
Old 13-09-2016, 19:09   #96

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
As usual folks are all over the map on this one. He said " getting into sailing " with an idea of a small boat to sail 5-7 hours on the lake to a friend's camp and staying over.

This can be done on a shoe string budget on most any type of sailboat.

The percentage of folks that have done this type thing vs gone cruising is quite different.

How about taking the first step for a few thousand and see what you think?

Any sailboat from about 18' up should do the job quite nicely
rereading the original post, you are right! he isn't really asking about cutting the lines. he's asking about taking weekend trips. good catch.

we go wherever we want to go. that's what a ship is, you know. it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails. that's what a ship needs. but what a ship is...really is...is freedom---captain jack sparrow
first wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: