Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-09-2016, 14:14   #31

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'
Arrow Re: The sailing dream - How many people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I think he is full time National Guard or something, I never got to live anywhere for more than a few years max, and certainly didn't think I'd still be there eight years later.
Could have a desk job and be stuck in a container in the desert. I just watched "Good Kill" (Ethan Hawke). Now there's a desk/ drone job if ever I saw one and all the guy wanted to do was get back to being a real pilot (and bombing I assume)
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:17   #32

Boat: TBD
Re: The sailing dream - How many people...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sofie B View Post
Could have a desk job and be stuck in a container in the desert. I just watched "Good Kill" (Ethan Hawke). Now there's a desk/ drone job if ever I saw one and all the guy wanted to do was get back to being a real pilot (and bombing I assume)
Database programming, nothing sexy but it pays the bills.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 14:43   #33

Boat: Hartley Sth Seas 38'

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
Database programming, nothing sexy but it pays the bills.
I certainly didn't see sexy either. Modern Warfare don't float my boat but it was a fascinating film that addressed what must be many issues amongst the Military. This sort of movie makes me think of my Dad who after being in the US Navy and getting around the world on a big ship opted to stay on land and settle where he was based. He now flies everywhere then walks around the Country of choice. Each to their own, I say and can only comment that I love the choice of a house (we are nearly finished building) when we want or a boat when we want. We don't have oodles of money but we can do it all on our budget by not expecting to go into debt for the sake of having the flashest of everything or of anything. One thing I do know is being on the boat is special more than anything we have done lately. We have spent the last 5 years making big changes like selling up in the City and moving rural. Building a house ,buying a boat. I really feel spoilt for choice and am thankful of that. My near death experience (brain aneurysm) has changed the way I thought planning was necessary. Now I throw caution to the wind and hope I can get the sails up. Good luck with your decision. Hey, an apartment instead of a house could give you the best of both worlds . Boat for cruising, land base when needed?
Sofie B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 16:17   #34

Location: Currently wintering in Kettering south of Hobart in Tasmania so already established for the Wooden Boat Festival in 2019
Boat: Joe Adams Naut 40

Hi

Lots of different advice because it is a very personal choice. Dare to dream but work hard at making it a reality. As for Neophytecruiser's comments not many do it 24/7/360 - where has he been? We just left an anchorage at the beginning of the winter sailing season in Aus and all 6 boats at anchor were cruisers doing just that. The boats on moorings were mostly folk still in the rat race but enjoying their hobby.

When we purchased our boat out landbased friends asked how long we intend to stay on the boat? we said perhaps 5 -7 years and now 20 years later we are still enjoying the lifestyle and have no plans to swallow the anchor.

Best of luck with your future plans
sapient sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 18:11   #35

Boat: Leopard 40

My husband and I planned to retire on a boat for over 30 years. Two years ago we executed the plan. I'm happy. He's bored and has applied for his old job in Germany. The best advice I can give you is to find a hobby you can do on board.

Maje
Tom and Maje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 18:49   #36

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

lake boat sounds good /may lead to a blue water boat /enjoy them all/what's the rush no one has spotted nibiru yet.
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 19:00   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Who sounds like the 'miserable bastard'?
You can't even think of what would excite you as a passtime now and into your retirement!

Oh, I can think of plenty, it's my wallet that's a pain in the ass.

I do wish I were a little more care free.

As usual, good advice.
Old 06-09-2016, 19:23   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndavies View Post
it sounds like you have a plan to try it out - so I am not sure what all the "fears" are?
I've heard too many people say a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. Or don't buy a boat find a friend with one.

I tend to be cautious when getting into something this big that I know thing about.

Thanks for the advice.
Old 06-09-2016, 19:34   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Maybe you should read Gadagirls Thread..
It covers what seems to be a major American obsession.. SECURITY.. in all its forms..
The funny thing is (I'm generalizing here), you talk to someone with little or no money and they worry about not having enough money for the future. You talk to someone with millions of dollars in the bank, and they worry about losing it all and not having enough money for the future.
Old 06-09-2016, 20:02   #40

Boat: 78 Rawson 30 Pilothouse

I think an obvious predictor of success in being happy cruising in a boat is to look at ones present lifestyle. What makes one happy on shore? materialism? High social networking? Large living spaces? These would be challenges when leaving the dock behind. How about industrious? If one has a partner do they spend most avail hours near them (and likes that), doesn't need alot of space in the house, likes challenges, believes in them self and their ability to survive (has this been tested in anyway, this belief?), gets by on very little money, these all seem like great predictors for happiness in the confined cabin and cockpit of a cruising boat, far from shops and social circles and false securities. Oh and an unending desire to be "out there", an all consuming dream that is relentless.

I have a mantra I verbalize whenever I feel a slip in my awareness of reality "tick tick tick" brings my focus back to doing what I love and letting go of fears...and Sailboat cruising always trumps all else in my desires.
Old 06-09-2016, 20:17   #41

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies

Any body would like sailing. Sailing is awesome. Boat ownership+ maintenance+ expense are the issues.

The sailing itself is divine.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 20:26   #42

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
I've heard too many people say a boat is a hole in the water you throw money into. Or don't buy a boat find a friend with one.

I tend to be cautious when getting into something this big that I know thing about.

Thanks for the advice.
Start with a really fun little boat. The kind you look forward to sailing every free minute. If you find yourself hooked on sailing on the lake and going places, it is easier to move up and you will have none of those sleepless nights thinking "what have I done?" You'll be dreaming of where you'll go and which boat is next. Yes, boats can be expensive, but they don't always have to be. You'd be surprised how cheaply some folks are doing it with good, safe boats. I'm doing things on a shoestring myself, so it can be done. It helps a lot to learn how to repair, install and replace stuff on your own. Don't worry, most of it is NOT brain surgery. It is a hobby, one of the more expensive one for some. Some people find going to Vegas and blowing a few thousand is entertainment.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 20:37   #43

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

I keep coming back to this thread and puzzling over the original question "will we like it"

It's seems to me the question asked is just backwards. This is no slight on the op. But sailing and cruising are quite a bit like dating. You don't date only the person's you think you might like to marry one day, you date a person to get to know them and learn about each other and figure out how you get along.

Don't jump the gun. Go out, sail. Was it fun? Do it again. Charter to find out if the life style holds wider appeal. Was it fun? Do it again.

The point is, you can theorize all day but theory is a poor substitute for experience. Nothing in life is riding on the success or failure of experimenting. You will never know just thinking on a thing. By the by, if you try out cruising and decide it's not for you, that is a successful cruise! In the end you will have formulated a new idea that seems like more fun. Fun is what you are really after no?
Remember happiness is an inside job. Are you happy enough to just go out and have fun?
Old 07-09-2016, 01:35   #44

Boat: 1975 30 ft dutch steel cruiser

>>>SEA DREAMING
what you said x 10.. or just get a book on sailing...maybe a 2nd hand one...
NV US is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 02:48   #45

I spent virtually all of my life in close proximity to urban environments rich with culture and all manner of "things" to do... museums, galleries, concerts, opera, dance, fashion shows, libraries parts, parades, multicultarism and so on.

I also spent 4 years sailing and cruising to and in the Caribe and Canaries. The experiences of the places I sailed to was interesting, but ultimately I felt starved for "culture". I returned to the States when cash ran out and to my former profession which I was prepared to abandon for some new adventure in life.

I still have the boat, spend as much time as I can with it, including living on the hook, sailing and messing about. But I now try to do as much "culture" as I can and work a bit. I would not sail off to chase rainbows in exotic places. Not enough intellectual stimulation... not enough artistic creative stimulation. Perhaps now the www... we can experience everything through a screen / you tube, FB, instagram and "live streams"... Dunno.

You never find the rainbow and if the pursuit is not enough for you then don't make the commitment to sever ties. I can see how perhaps someone who lives a more simple rural life absent lots of contact with "the arts" might find the wet more interesting than the dry... Dunno.

I think a balance might be a good approach... a long sabbatical at sea... lots of cruising but without cutting all ties to dirt life.

Maybe
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing